Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Is Dark Nights Metal Worth Buying? 🤔

I mean do I need to read anything before actually reading it or is it fine to just read it without any prologue stuff?

It works on its own

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Its Snyder's weakest work
    (meaning yes if you already own everything written by Scott Snyder, no if you don't own Black Mirror or Court of Owls)

BANNED

Yes I suggest you read his batman rub,all star batman and to understand it completely

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

If you think you'd enjoy a disjointed, apocalyptic, dark-psychedelic mega event that draws on random pieces of DC mythology, then get it. It's not my favorite, I was expecting a stronger more connected story that delivered on the teased mysteries, but it was enjoyable for what it was. I imagine it reads better in trade.

You do you, I didn't care for it all. Honestly I don't really remember much from it except the Bat element and a gladiator fight.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Always Rakzo

It's pretty much just a set-up for the current status quo and as a story itself is not really that interesting aside from few cool references to the broader DCU (The tie-ins were solid though).

Sadly, I think that the current Justice League suffers from many of the same flaws like overexposition and Snyder's incapacity to deliver a satisfying conclusion due that he prefers to prepare for "the next big story".

It depends on what kind of comic you like.

Metal is big, loud, dumb as sh*t, and wild. It's ridiculous for the sake of being ridiculous and goes out of its way to be as over-the-top as possible, just for the lol's. And if you didn't know, the whole thing was inspired by the album art of heavy metal music from the 80's. If a Meatloaf album cover could be a story set in the DCU, it'd be Metal. Like failed American metalhead Andrew W.K., Metal is just happy to be here.

And I enjoyed the f*ck out of it. It's a guilty pleasure. I love high-concept stuff and Metal is very much in the Morrison school of mindtrip. Unlike some of Morrison's work, Metal doesn't have the intelligence to back up its scope, but Metal doesn't need to be smart. It's just supposed to be fun. And if you don't take it seriously you might have fun too.

And Snyder throws in a bunch of metal music references, which just endeared the whole thing to me. The first time he Easter egg'd Megadeth I was won over.

And you don't *have* to read a thing to get into Metal. I would recommend reading the two one-shots that started it, The Forge and The Casting, but it's not quite required reading I don't think. It'd help if you read Snyder's Batman, or at least Heavy and Endgame, but it's not necessary. And you don't have to read any of the other tie-ins at all (I didnt).
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I loved it. It was great to get some Evil Batmen finally, and Capullo’s art was a treat as always. Be warned that it draws heavily on both Morrison and Snyder’s Batman runs, so having a passing knowledge of both would help. Make sure you get the tie-in issues starting the Evil Batmen origins, they’re all great.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

The tie-ins helped a lot for me actually. It added dimension to the story in terms of character work, and the Forge and the Casting set up the mythological background nicely. Not sure I would have liked it as much without that.

Mighty Member

For sure. It's action movie/heavy metal album as comics. If that sounds fun to you, check it out. It doesn't take itself seriously at all (Batmanium!) and remembers that superhero comics are at their heart ridiculous. No heavy deconstruction or prolonged quiet character moments, just an insane trip. Superhero comics can just be fast loud fun and entertaining and this nails that idea perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    It depends on what kind of comic you like.

Metal is big, loud, dumb as sh*t, and wild. It's ridiculous for the sake of being ridiculous and goes out of its way to be as over-the-top as possible, just for the lol's. And if you didn't know, the whole thing was inspired by the album art of heavy metal music from the 80's. If a Meatloaf album cover could be a story set in the DCU, it'd be Metal. Like failed American metalhead Andrew W.K., Metal is just happy to be here.

And I enjoyed the f*ck out of it. It's a guilty pleasure. I love high-concept stuff and Metal is very much in the Morrison school of mindtrip. Unlike some of Morrison's work, Metal doesn't have the intelligence to back up its scope, but Metal doesn't need to be smart. It's just supposed to be fun. And if you don't take it seriously you might have fun too.

And Snyder throws in a bunch of metal music references, which just endeared the whole thing to me. The first time he Easter egg'd Megadeth I was won over.

And you don't *have* to read a thing to get into Metal. I would recommend reading the two one-shots that started it, The Forge and The Casting, but it's not quite required reading I don't think. It'd help if you read Snyder's Batman, or at least Heavy and Endgame, but it's not necessary. And you don't have to read any of the other tie-ins at all (I didnt).
    I completely echo this. It was awesome. \m/\m/
    Batman - Daredevil

Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

Didn’t it have something to do with the Shazam continuity?
    I think I heard it did, but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarriorWolf View Post
    Didn’t it have something to do with the Shazam continuity?
    I think I heard it did, but I could be wrong.
    Not really. Shazam the wizard was mentioned and in like two panels.

Also, no this story is not worth buying.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Not really. Shazam the wizard was mentioned and in like two panels.
    Ah, thanks.