Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Default Iceman #1 Discussion *spoilers*

Not going through the whole review thing because as much as I love Bobby, I don't care enough.

This was... decent. Not great. Not horrible. I liked his voice for Bishop, Bobby (though he was little too annoying), Jubilee, and Emma.

I fucking hated Bishop trying to act like Kitty was the bestest leader ever. How he was "happy" that she was his leader. He so wouldn't be okay with that. It felt like Grace trying to tell the fans they were wrong for not liking Kitty as leader.

How did Bishop remember the shadow king ordeal? Only Betsy should, I thought.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

I have to be honest, this was a rough first issue. The dialogue and jokes just weren't working for me, it almost read as parody. The thing that's frustrating about it is, there are the bones for a potentially great story in here about intra-community violence, but it never quite comes together. I really hope it gets better.

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    How did Bishop remember the shadow king ordeal? Only Betsy should, I thought.
    I think X only wiped the memory of his existence from the X-Men's minds (except Psylocke), not the entire Shadow King incident. He probably made them think the X-Men defeated the Shadow King without his help. It's much less complicated and conspicuous to just alter the details of a person's memory of an event than to leave a huge gap in that memory, especially since that whole thing was witnessed by a ton of people in London.

Im not digging the art and the story doesnt intrigue me. I am intersted in seeing Bobby interact with EMMA THOUGH

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    I have to be honest, this was a rough first issue. The dialogue and jokes just weren't working for me, it almost read as parody. The thing that's frustrating about it is, there are the bones for a potentially great story in here about intra-community violence, but it never quite comes together. I really hope it gets better.
    Agreed. There is the potential for an interesting story in a group of mutants who believe that conforming to the human norm is the only way to gain respectability, but you're right that it gets lost in the issue. There was too much jammed in around that concept, such as extremism on the dark web, a mysterious telepath (?), and Sinister.

I did enjoy the Sinister reveal, though it's weird that he would re-enact the Mutant Massacre in such an impromptu way with a group of amateurs. What was he hoping to gain from it?

Also, given that the Mutant Massacre was such a big, heavy story the first time, this version lacked gravitas. Oh, a Morlock's dead. Let's just quip on with things. I can see Iceman using it as a coping mechanism, but the other Morlocks were right on board with the quipping. There was none of the horror or the trauma of the original massacre.

And Iceman's team-up with Bishop lacked the wonderful straight man dynamic that I enjoyed from Gambit's team-ups with Bishop.

I also did not get Bobby's dad joke at the end. How is Jubilee's face the polar opposite of her namesake? She's not grumpy or depressed; she's smiling and saying "hi" when Bobby makes that joke. Please explain to me, an apparently humor-impaired person.
    Last edited by DearMachine; 09-12-2018 at 02:56 PM.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

It was a reference, I guess, to Jubilee's angsty vampire phase. Which she's been out of for most of this year.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    It was a reference, I guess, to Jubilee's angsty vampire phase. Which she's been out of for most of this year.
    That seems like the most logical explanation, even if, yeah, Strain reset that a while ago. Thanks!

BANNED

I liked it, and thought it was pretty solid, actually. Thought there were some clever bits of dialogue: "Bobby savin' himself for Capt. America; Bishop always makin' everything 'bout himself; Bishop's hindsight-is-20/20 advice being accepted, 'cause of bein' a time traveler; Jubes' clunky dad jokes jar," just to name a few. Art had some nice moments, and was better than I thought it would be. The final page with Emma, made for a dramatic & enticing ending. Sinister's reveal was a touch atmospheric, but with what they were goin' for, could've been laid out better. The overarching Morlocks under attack narrative, was satisfactory for the most part, also. It wasn't mind-blowing, but had its charms & was entertaining enough, to where I'll be back for the follow-up.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DearMachine View Post
    ... I also did not get Bobby's dad joke at the end. How is Jubilee's face the polar opposite of her namesake? She's not grumpy or depressed; she's smiling and saying "hi" when Bobby makes that joke. Please explain to me, an apparently humor-impaired person.
    It was more like a smirk, I thought. With the gum chewing thing thrown in, my take was it was more in reference to her overall attitude, which is often laced with sarcasm.

BANNED

This issue was a bit boring, the Marauders got beaten so quickly is anti-climax.

There're lots of new characters and most of them weren't introduced to the audience as to their names and/or powers unlike the original Marauders.

We have a new purple Wolverine, it seems that everyone wants a Wolverine in their team.

I think some of the new X-Men looks more like Morlocks eg. Anole, Eye-boy, Glob than some of these new Morlocks.

Having Bishop team-up with Iceman doesn't make sense in this when other X-Men would have more interesting interactions.

Having reference to X-Men Gold as team leader was great.
    Last edited by jalsrix; 09-12-2018 at 05:51 PM.

I really liked how Grace tried to use the metaphor to lampshade assimilation and respectability politics. And it's pretty fitting after the preview thread was full of posters complaining that the writing was too stereotypically gay, and why couldn't Iceman just be a superhero who happens to be a gay man instead of the "gay superhero"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    I really liked how Grace tried to use the metaphor to lampshade assimilation and respectability politics. And it's pretty fitting after the preview thread was full of posters complaining that the writing was too stereotypically gay, and why couldn't Iceman just be a superhero who happens to be a gay man instead of the "gay superhero"
    Well, readers want something different, there are so many straight superheroes around and would be quite boring if Iceman just focused on being a superhero.

I thought it was fine. Not the best I've seen Grace do with Bobby, but worth the price of a ticket. And I outright giggled at the X-Men staging an intervention regarding Bobby's dad jokes.

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

I thought this issue was okay. I think a little more insight to the motivations of the villians would have grounded the story a little more.

I can't wait for #2 and all the potential interactions with other characters that are still to come, but yeah this was decent but not very exciting.