Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Infinity Wars #3 Review/SPOILERS

It's the midway point in Infinity Wars and, appropriately, it's a pivotal issue that changes the direction of the story.

Now that Gamora has won and holds all the cards, the question is: what's she going to do?

Loki warns her that in other realities this same story is playing out but that in those other worlds she is losing control of the stones.

He also has told her about the quarry of creation. She senses a boundary there that she wants to investigate.

Loki wants to accompany her but Gamora will have none of it.

She releases the heroes from the frozen moment of time she has stuck them in. But in order to hinder them, she folds the universe in half.

As she says "You won't be able to interfere...when you're chained to each other."

Hence, Warp World is created with amalgamated versions of the heroes and all new histories to accompany them.

As Loki notes, Gamora has, in a creatively twisted way, followed in Thanos' footsteps. Only rather than removing half the souls in existence, she's combined them.

Gamora leaves for the quarry of creation, along with Flowa, and hurls Loki into Warp World where he seeks help at the X-mansion - only to meet the amalgamated version of Wolverine and Emma Frost.

They determine that Loki's story checks out but promptly slams in the door in Loki's face while he continues to demand help in saving the universe.

------

This was a really fun issue. I'm a sucker for amalgamated characters and I can't wait to see how Warp World plays out.

There's more talk than action this time around but it's interesting talk as Gamora is in total control of the situation, even as Thanos' ghost or memory continues to whisper advice in her ear, and Loki does his best to ingratiate himself to her.

My one question would be whether Warp World is within the Soul Stone or whether Gamora schmushed the actual universe into this new configuration.

Wasn't sure about that - although I imagine it will become clearer next issue, or in a re-read.

Either way, that minor confusion aside, this was good stuff that sets things up for a wild second half of the story.

Extraordinary Member

I enjoyed this issue, but the art was sort of confusing in parts.

I really liked Loki's part and it's sort of fun to see him so confused about this, as well as comment on how gross and weird this would be for someone who actually knows these people. But dang, him and Flowa together would have been fun!

BANNED

Really interesting idea.

Two questions, when did Gamora snap? I feel i missed that at some point.

Did anyone else feel nausea when they saw the Logan/Frost merger?

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post

Yea this is where I’m just getting a real disconnect with this event, we basically went from Gamora wanting the portion of her soul back to her jumping to cosmic overlord who wiped out half the universe by merging it with the other half and threw them into the soul gem to feed the beast within it yet we’re given no real reason of why. Just what the hell is she even after at this point considering she got the 1 thing she’s been obsessing over. At this point it just feels like things are happening because the plot says so rather than out of a logical progression.

Also we are at issue 3 of 6, next issue is set to be about the Infinity Warps and this story is still the MU jobs to Gamora. Where is the turning point supposed to actually come in because at this point, the Infinity Watch seems to have been completely superfluous existing only so Gamora can easily get the stones (having them job with stones that should have allowed them to quickly end the situation) and Loki is basically set up to be the hero of the event.

Mighty Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one that found it odd that Gamora went "I'm missing a piece of my soul and want it back" to "I'm Thanos 2.0 but I refuse to be Thanos 2.0 and screw it"

This is a hot mess 'tbh'.

You know things have went south when the LCS shopkeeper sees you read a quick chunk and just tells you "Do you have any idea what's going on?" And when you remind him the last 2 issues, he responds with he knows but then ask you what the hell happened from the last issue to now, you're in for a hot mess and this is a hot mess.

I mean I like how Loki is likely the hero of the event but, Gamora's suddenly becoming Thanos is jarring because wasn't she just after the soul gem? Didn't she become Requiem just to kill Thanos? Has any of the Countdown stuff even mattered? I know Loki is looking for Warlock but...but when the last page is just Loki unleashing his inner Fred Flintstone, that's not a good way to end the issue.

Extraordinary Member

The "snap" here is that Gamora didn't technically kill anyone, she just merged everyone for...reasons? To try and control the stones? I really don't know. It seems like Gamora was trying to do something to get more souls into the Soul Stone, but it actually would have made more sense to just do the traditional snap.

This event reminds me a little of AXIS, except that AXIS actually made sense and Remender did a good job of using it to tie up old ends and incorporate events from Agent of Asgard and Avengers. In this case, it seems like Duggan has an idea and his Guardians of the Galaxy book was strong, but he just doesn't really seem to know the mechanics of these stones, which seems odd to me since he's the writer with seemingly the most control over them. Even if this event is something of a forced push from Marvel, it seems overly complicated.

I mean, Gamora's motivation shouldn't be that hard to figure out: She's obsessed by the soul stone, which is manipulating her to get more power for itself. Simple, if a little forced. We've seen that story before and it works just fine.

I feel like the only part that does work is Loki and even that seems a bit weird since we really didn't get what he was doing in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by mreddie View Post
    You know things have went south when the LCS shopkeeper sees you read a quick chunk and just tells you "Do you have any idea what's going on?" And when you remind him the last 2 issues, he responds with he knows but then ask you what the hell happened from the last issue to now, you're in for a hot mess and this is a hot mess.

I mean I like how Loki is likely the hero of the event but, Gamora's suddenly becoming Thanos is jarring because wasn't she just after the soul gem? Didn't she become Requiem just to kill Thanos? Has any of the Countdown stuff even mattered? I know Loki is looking for Warlock but...but when the last page is just Loki unleashing his inner Fred Flintstone, that's not a good way to end the issue.
    Literally nothing from the countdown issues seem to have mattered in this considering that, aside from Gamora being angry at being denied the soul stone being opened, everything has been dropped. Ultron? Gone. Threat of Galactus? Gone. Magus? Gone. The Infinity Watch? Jobbed in issue 2 so Gamora could get all the stones. Thanos? Killed in issue 0. It’s really hard to care about the story at hand when the pieces that were used to build the story are just thrown away with no real purpose in the story.

BANNED

Gamora first snapped when she decided to go rogue, become Requiem and get the stones for herself. She further snapped after killing Thanos.

And getting all the stones hasn't helped either - wielding ultimate power is rarely good for one's mental health.

Since she killed Thanos, we've seen her hearing and talking to either the ghost of Thanos or her memory of him.

Either way, it's not hard to see that she's gone more than a bit mad.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Literally nothing from the countdown issues seem to have mattered in this considering that, aside from Gamora being angry at being denied the soul stone being opened, everything has been dropped. Ultron? Gone. Threat of Galactus? Gone. Magus? Gone. The Infinity Watch? Jobbed in issue 2 so Gamora could get all the stones. Thanos? Killed in issue 0. It’s really hard to care about the story at hand when the pieces that were used to build the story are just thrown away with no real purpose in the story.
    Well, the story's not over yet. Will some or all of these threads play a part in the second half? Maybe.

And some of those threads are still very much present, like Thanos. Even though he's dead, he's obviously still a part of the narrative.

Extraordinary Member

The issue is that normally #3 is when things start making sense. Here it just feels really confusing, not just because of the missing characters, but because you don't really know who to even focus on. Right now, it seems like it should be Loki and Gamora, which is fine, but that being said, their true motivations are sort of murky.

Loki's motivation should just be "trying to help," and Gamora's should be getting the other half of her soul bacl, but she isn't. Why isn't she?

It doesn't help that Loki's storyline within the larger Marvel story is sort of confusing right now.

BANNED

Gamora didn't really have to snap his fingers for using the powers of IS ,it's Soul stone provided the issue of merging all the super humans and Gamora was actually pulling the strings for her obsession with her Soul stone that made Adam Warlock(his evil persona doppelganger Magus which was actually created from SS or IG ) obsessed as well during 90's in IW when Magus wanted to possess the Infinity Gauntlet but i didn't really get that why was Loki searching Adam Warlock , who is already dead????........... ...

Spectacular Member

I have to start read the series, but by skipping through the pages i started to think, that i am so fed up with Deodatos artwork. It is so lazy, to see the same models for every person or for every object in all his works since i started reading comics. His Wolverine is the same model in 2009 as it is in 2018. The same with every axe or every sword, the same lazy 3d model.

And it is just ugly colored and unnecessary paneled.

Mighty Member

I think this art can be summed up by one meme: Why is Gamora?

Seriously, we don't know what her motive is.