Fantastic Member AnimalSquabbles's Avatar

Default ALIEN vs PREDATOR: Yuajta, Xenomorph and Engineer Appreciation Thread

With the new predator movie being released tomorrow, i've been looking into some of the lore more closely and I don't see any thread on this particular shared universe.

All "Alien", "Predator" and "Prometheus" series discussion welcome.

I've seen every movie in each series, also read and own the Original AvP comic omnibus and the entire "Fire and Stone" comic crossover series.

I do plan on seeing the new movie, but not sure if I'll get to the theater.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

iMan 42s

I'm definitely looking forward to the new movie.

The thing is, these movies are never good. Unless your Oscar baiting, Horror movies will always never go above a 7/10 and the long term fans of the franchise will talk **** on the movie for years. It happened with Predator 2 and it happened with Predators. It's not uncommon for the franchise as critics have never sided with the fans if only in hindsight. I'm fully expecting your various Lindsay Ellis's or Doug Walker's to see the Asperger kid in the new film, and write up a whole "essay" about why the film sucks never-mind that the whole franchise is predicated on being problematic.

-Predator is embodiment of what is essentially the toxic masculinity of its day.
    -Predator 2 is the embodiment of police brutality.
    -Predators is the 2010's quiet guy "hero", AKA your; quiet poet who sits in the back of the class planning on killing all of you at the right push be it money or otherwise. There is no difference between the characters of the Berserker and Royce.

Even the AVP films have the toxic masculine figure facing off against an embodiment of rape.

These films have never and will never appeal to the critics so if its good, your damn sure I'm going to let people know.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post

The thing is, these movies are never good. Unless your Oscar baiting, Horror movies will always never go above a 7/10 and the long term fans of the franchise will talk **** on the movie for years. It happened with Predator 2 and it happened with Predators. It's not uncommon for the franchise as critics have never sided with the fans if only in hindsight. I'm fully expecting your various Lindsay Ellis's or Doug Walker's to see the Asperger kid in the new film, and write up a whole "essay" about why the film sucks never-mind that the whole franchise is predicated on being problematic.

-Predator is embodiment of what is essentially the toxic masculinity of its day.
    -Predators is the 2010's quiet guy "hero", AKA your; quiet poet who sits in the back of the class planning on killing all of you at the right push be it money or otherwise. There is no difference between the characters of the Berserker and Royce.

Even the AVP films have the toxic masculine figure facing off against an embodiment of rape.

These films have never and will never appeal to the critics so if its good, your damn sure I'm going to let people know.
    Woah. I think you're reading way too into things.

I like that the predators have seperate individual names and stories. Like this one for example...

https://youtu.be/S7nA21VI3Qw

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by AnimalSquabbles View Post
    Woah. I think you're reading way too into things.
    Not really. The whole franchise is predicated on masculinity not being the answer with the violence option always being a terrible idea and your heroes never being quite the right people.

Sure we come to see guys get into first-fights with aliens, but the Predator franchise in each decade they are in is always indicative of the times and the kinds of "heroes" we come to adore in film and multi-media. That's why Arnold's team is the way it is since the violent mercs who look like they could suplex a bus are our heroes. We prioritized strength and ruggedness with a shoot first ask questions later mentality, it's why in the first film nobody finds the mission suspect.

I'd argue you kind of need 5-10 years between films because the hunt evolves. It's always a different reason for the hunt to happen even if you don't realize it. Each decade or era of film brings out a certain kind of archetype in our heroes and what we view as strong or good. The 80's it was the commando, the 90's it was the bad cop, the 2000's was the monster, and the 2010's was the "poet" for the lack of a better term. That's why this franchise is so long lived, it lives to kill our favorite archetypes and show us that these might not be what we think they are. That's why this franchise is going to survive everything.

Sure we do come for the monsters largely, but this is a franchise that has a well-defined flow.
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by AnimalSquabbles View Post
    I like that the predators have seperate individual names and stories. Like this one for example...

https://youtu.be/S7nA21VI3Qw
    I'd recommend a few games and books if you can find them seeing as some Predators have some pretty good stories and live on beyond their original entry. The Omnibus's are a pretty good way of tracking down those stories. Although I would say be picky about the novels as they are kind of inconsistent and sometimes kind of dreadful. Ahab being one of the Darkhorse Predators might still have books in print.

ALIEN wise,I kind of think as a franchise that the comics and some of the games have been somewhat better than the last couple of films-the Mark Verheidan stuff, is pretty much the ALIEN 3 people wanted to see-What happened to Ripley, Newt and Hicks when they made it back to Earth, and of course, the Aliens getting loose on Earth as well.

They're actually doing a comic limited series based on William Gibson's script for III-which basically was written for Michael Biehn's Hicks should Sigourney not return, and has him on a space station where the aliens are being experimented on (Some shades of ALIEN RESSURECTION there).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

iMan 42s

Just saw The Predator and I'm legit gonna be mad if this ends up like Solo cause having just seen it, it's pretty good.
    However this movie is its own thing and is more in-line with the comics than it is the films. It's actually paced more like the comics which might be a turnoff to some people but overall I had very few issues with the movie.

Some small pacing issues and Upgrade and Fugitive may need a bit more context but overall this is a solid B+.

spoilers:
    Clearly the Fugitive lacks the restraint to just kill things and we see that he already has the human DNA. He has nothing to gain from a hunt and so if he was here to deliver the suit, why not just leave it instead of trying to track it down? Why not inform Stargazer of the suit instead of just killing them if they would be the people more likely to know how to use it anyways? If he wanted a hunt then it's counter-intuitive to just leave this for humanity especially if he is only leaving the one. My thoughts is that the Fugitive is a Bad blood who is fleeing with a weapon that can easily kill other Predators and may be the alternative to the Upgrade's DNA augmentation. The Fugitive as a result seems more likely to be a criminal and is evading enforcers. If Humanity isn't going to stick around long-term then what's the point of leaving the suit and especially just one? We also know he has some knowledge of the DNA augmentation but isn't nearly as augmented as Upgrade which brings me back to the Super Predators.

The Super Predators are on a game preserve where they have access to all manner of alien life. Why did the Super Predators not take advantage of this especially if there was a ship to get them off world that the Berserker has access to with all the DNA it might need? My thought is that this is finally the culmination of the blood feud between them. I can't speak for clan alignments but we know that Fugitive is a traitor to the Upgrade. Maybe it saw something it didn't like in the augmentation process?
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post

Disagree first Predator is a classic and well reviewed on RT. Yeah everything else after that was pretty bad AVP aside which was solid. Do agree you might be reading too much into these.

I'm sick of seeing Alien movies unless the good people win in the end.

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I'm sick of seeing Alien movies unless the good people win in the end.
    I guess film study does not exist so I will just say this, they do. Like 80% of these films the humans win in some capacity.

Extraordinary Member

Saw it today a lot of nonsensical dumb ****. A guy swallowing alien tech, a kid mastering alien tech in a few hours...But if you wanna see a Predator whip some serious ass go see it.lol