Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

...Yeah no, I'd politely tell Snape to piss off somewhere and find someone else. Because...Holy hell, that attitude of his already made my decision clear.

For the people saying "no" because Snape is a dick, suppose it was Luna Lovegood making the offer?

The deal is new life as a wizard (or witch, if you're a chick). That's pretty huge. What does the personality of the man making the offer have to do with anything? You step through the mirror, and you never encounter him again.

Are you guys saying that because he's a dick you don't trust him? Or because he's a dick, your honor is offended, and you're simply not going to do a deal even if it's a quid pro quo that benefits you?

I am saying Mo because the attitude giving off telling me is the life he is offering may not be the best if my tastes. Especially as I know Portecerse to know Snape was worth a damn as a wizard. And given that his life was still miserable. Given that and my life now if no real powers. This life. Plus Harry Pitter is run by idiots and plot device.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shai-Hulud View Post
    For the people saying "no" because Snape is a dick, suppose it was Luna Lovegood making the offer?

The deal is new life as a wizard (or witch, if you're a chick). That's pretty huge. What does the personality of the man making the offer have to do with anything? You step through the mirror, and you never encounter him again.

Are you guys saying that because he's a dick you don't trust him? Or because he's a dick, your honor is offended, and you're simply not going to do a deal even if it's a quid pro quo that benefits you?
    I have a home world to worry about. I'm not unleashing somebody like that into it.

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

While she seems more benevolent, and thus I would be a lot less convinced this was some convoluted plan to kill off or reduce in political power the King of Munch, she's also Grade A %100 Bonkers, so I'd be a lot more doubtful of her ABILITY to pull this off.

Are you guys saying that because he's a dick you don't trust him?
    At least Partially. Also, stepping into my world is ASKING for trouble. I mean Luna had enough trouble when invisible monsters were mostly in her head. Just wait until she sees (or more accurately DOESN'T see) a race of them that are actively hostile to humans! Intangirs are going to MESS HER UP!

Or because he's a dick, your honor is offended, and you're simply not going to do a deal even if it's a quid pro quo that benefits you?
    Well it's not like I NEED what he's offering, and The MunchKING has done dumb stuff for his honor before. But nah, it's more worrying about the trust.

Quote Originally Posted by Photon Torme View Post
    I have a home world to worry about. I'm not unleashing somebody like that into it.
    Eh, she'd be just another crazy person at the end of the day.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Okay, one one more question for those of you who said "no" solely based upon Snape.

Suppose it was Minerva McGonegal making the offer. She explains that after a lifetime of battles and intrigue, she just wants to retire somewhere free of Slytherin schemes.

So: not evil, not rude, not untrustworthy, and conceivably capable of the feat, especially after gaining access to all of Dumbledore's secrets upon his death.

Does this change anyone's answer?

Quote Originally Posted by Sol_M View Post
    5) The Wizarding world has enough weirdness that an eleven year old claiming to be an adult might actually have people willing to listen. Not sure what the laws are regarding overage students, but it's theoretically possible to work out an arrangement with the authorities if you choose to do so. Then again, they ignored Harry for a full year when he told them that Voldemort was back, so eh...
    I'd go all in, but not tell anyone I was truly an adult. It can be very advantageous to have people underestimate me in such a dangerous world. I can suck it up for seven years in return for learning magic.

Snape's attitude? Well, the guy is a bona-fide genius. As a kid, he devised potions better than the textbook. Plus, he's a master wizard and I'm a muggle, and he's making a great offer, I think.

Pack my things, pick up the gem, imagine my ideal body (at eleven years old, I guess), and I'm through the looking glass.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

I don't go. I have connections, responsibilities, friends, family and so on that are important to me in this world. No amount of magic is worth sacrificing those nor the hurt they'd feel at my sudden disappearance.

As god of pirates, I invite Snape to join the crew. Why stick with one mundane world when you could be part of a crew that traverses dimensions?

I'd go all in, but not tell anyone I was truly an adult. It can be very advantageous to have people underestimate me in such a dangerous world. I can suck it up for seven years in return for learning magic.
    Five, actually. You just need OWLs to land a job. Or did, back in the day. It's 2018 now, so it stands to reason that there is a larger percentage of qualified people compared to earlier, making it more important to complete your NEWTs.

Even so, it's hardly necessary to complete seven years unless you want a really high end job in the wizarding world. You could far more easily get a high paying mundane job without it.

Snape's attitude? Well, the guy is a bona-fide genius. As a kid, he devised potions better than the textbook. Plus, he's a master wizard and I'm a muggle, and he's making a great offer, I think.
    Snape isn't all that trustworthy. He only went along with Dumbledore and all to protect Lily's son (and possibly because he wanted to get back at Voldemort for killing her).

Frankly, if Lily hadn't died, there's a pretty good chance Snape would still be Death Eater. You don't want someone like that wreaking havoc on a mundane world. He might become a new Voldemort with no one to oppose him.

Pack my things, pick up the gem, imagine my ideal body (at eleven years old, I guess), and I'm through the looking glass.
    This is only true if no one you know depends on you, won't be hurt by your absence, and won't be missed by you when you leave.

Given that people are generally social creatures, this is not true for a great deal of people. Perhaps even most people, especially within a certain age interval.

If you have a spouse you love and are already making a life with, would you be willing to part with them possibly forever to fuel your desire to learn magic? If you have children to care for, would just abandon them to be a child yourself, waving a stick at things?

Note that learning magic doesn't automatically make you wealthy of do whatever you want in the Harry Potter universe. You will continue to have struggles and experience pain and anguish in the new world you find yourself in.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I don't go. I have connections, responsibilities, friends, family and so on that are important to me in this world. No amount of magic is worth sacrificing those nor the hurt they'd feel at my sudden disappearance.

As god of pirates, I invite Snape to join the crew. Why stick with one mundane world when you could be part of a crew that traverses dimensions?
    I don't know if Snape would make much of a pirate, but that's an amusing idea.

Now I cannot shake the image of Alan Rickman wearing an eyepatch and threatening teenagers with a cutlass. Too much stereotyping? XD
    Last edited by Sol_M; 09-15-2018 at 07:13 AM.

To be honest, I just don't care if I even get tons of money to go back in time in another fictional universe to learn magic. Offers to be in another fictional universe sound sweet but sometimes they got their issues.

Going to the Star Wars universe sounds nice until you realize most of its galaxy is shockingly dangerous with its main body of government being callously evil or ridiculously inept. Expect wars to break out and just low standards of living for the average joe there.

Now Star Trek sounds great...But only if you're in well established Federation territory and even they get a few close calls of doom. Whale probe, borg, coups, a massive attack from the Breen, etc.

Harry Potter I find myself in my opinion is entering a magical society with their ups and downs, especially if you're a muggle going through this. I just don't see the price of gaining magic if I gotta endure adolescent drama BS and the growing return of Magic Nazis in which I'm going to get involved at the very end and probably die.

As mentioned, I have family and friends...And they sure won't like it if I got myself killed for this kind of crap.

No thank you.

Harry Potter ended ages ago though, so the Magic Nazis have already been beaten...

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Twister View Post
    ...the growing return of Magic Nazis in which I'm going to get involved at the very end and probably die.
    In all fairness, this is two decades after Voldemort was killed for good, and Voldemort seemed to be kind of an exception in the overall history of Potterverse, so you should be pretty safe there.

It's more like that you die to something far less sinister of course.

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    Harry Potter ended ages ago though, so the Magic Nazis have already been beaten...
    Actually, Harry Potter ended at around the same time as present day right? At least the last chapter did. So based on that, everything seems to be pretty normal (As it had been for the last 36 years, except that one year when Voldemort was ruling the entire United Kingdom).
    Last edited by Sol_M; 09-15-2018 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    In all fairness, this is two decades after Voldemort was killed for good, and Voldemort seemed to be kind of an exception in the overall history of Potterverse, so you should be pretty safe there.

It's more like that you die to something far less sinister of course.
    Ah, thought this was some go back to the very beginning of the series scenario.

...Nevertheless, not willing to endure adolescent school angst with magic.

Actually, Harry Potter ended at around the same time as present day right? At least the last chapter did. So based on that, everything seems to be pretty normal (As it had been for the last 36 years, except that one year when Voldemort was ruling the entire United Kingdom).
    Nah, Harry Potter started as set in 1991, and it lasted 7 years, so it ended in 1998. As it's now 2018, the series has been over for 20 years.

Or did you mean the epologue? Yeah that MIGHT have been "20 years in the Future", I'd have to look it up.