Default Hawkman #7 (Spoilers)

A day late due to my busy work schedule, but here we go:

• Story begins on Thanagar in the ancient past, where we meet "Deathbringers" Ktar (Hawkman) and Idamm.
    • Having toppled Thanagar, Ktar laments how weary he's grown of conquering world after world for centuries.
    • Amidst the death and destruction, a lone woman gazes at Ktar, noticing his anguish.
    • On Qgga, the Deathbringer's homeworld, the surviving Thanagarians are sacrificed for the faceless "Lord Beyond the Void.
    • While Idimm savors the spectacle, it only troubles Ktar more.
    • Again, the woman appears before him, then vanishes just as quickly.
    • We see a quick glimpse of Ktar conquering several more worlds, all on which the woman appears again and again.
    • All the while, Ktar's taste for death grows less and less.
    • His devotion challenged by Idamm, Ktar returns to Qgga, where he's to begin the last of the sacrificial rituals.
    • On the cusp of bringing the "Lord Beyond the Void" into our reality, Ktar sabotages the ritual, betraying Idamm and collapsing the portal into itself.
    • In his final act, Ktar casts Idamm into the void, seemingly dying in the process with the mysterious woman at his side.
    • Ktar then awakens in another realm, surrounded by the remains of his generations’ worth of victims.
    • Here, he's given a choice: travel to the afterlife, or redeem himself by saving as many lives as he's taken, destined to experience life and death anew until the process is finished.
    • Naturally, he takes the latter option, full well knowing that the Deathbringers are still out there, bent on revenge.
    • Carter Hall awakens on board his ship in the present, finally aware of his past as a Deathbringer and the enemy he’s up against.
    • Next stop: Krypton!

I have mixed feelings about what this story means for Hawkman's past and future alike. On one hand, I love that Venditti has essentially given Carter a new purpose to his origin. I know a lot of critics who don't understand why Hawkman's a superhero, exactly. Well, I'd say he has a pretty big reason now.

Venditti's also tied the contemporary version of Hawkman closer to Thanagar than ever before, and as I'm a big believer that Thanagar is one of the most interesting aspects of Hawkman and Hawkgirl both, I think that's a net gain.

On the other hand, though, it all feels a bit too much too quickly. I would've liked to have seen a bit more of who Ktar was before and why exactly he's grown so disenchanted with being a Deathbringer, to the point that he's willing to sacrifice countless lifetimes to make up for his sins. What changed? Obviously he knew death and destruction was a part of the gig; it's right there in the title, for crying out loud! It's clear he's over it, but I would've liked some more build-up and explanation preceding the sudden turn of "I've had enough of this!" that we're offered here. Maybe we'll get more, though, so I'll withholding judging it too harshly for now.

Moreover, I don't know if I really want Hawkman to have a set-in-stone reason for being a hero. As I've explained to the aforementioned critics above, Hawkman's a hero for the same reason many soldiers, cops, and firefighters are heroes: because he can and he wants to be. That was always more than enough for me, and in many ways more relatable and even compelling than what Venditti's done here. That said, I don't necessarily hate this new wrinkle, and I can understand, from a narrative perspective, why Venditti has taken this step.

But I digress. Regarding the issue itself, I enjoyed it a lot. It was one of those issues that I couldn't believe was over when it was, in fact. And I'm more hyped for what's to come than I have been since the series first debuted, I think. Specifically, I’m curious where the red-headed mystery woman (obviously Shiera/Kendra) fits in in all of this and what hand she played in the deal Ktar was offered in the end. Hitch's art, too, while still not exactly my cup of tea, was just about pitch-perfect for the tone of this issue.

Anyhoo, unsurprisingly Hawkman remains as my favorite series currently on the stands, and if nothing else, it's exciting to see this much attention given to Hawkman and his mythos. Whether it all sticks or just gets retconned yet again down the road will be another matter entirely, but as always with Hawkman, I try to not look too far ahead. Instead, I'll just continue to enjoy the ride while it lasts and see where it goes next. And enjoy it I most assuredly am!
    Batman: I need your help finding a man named Vulko.
    Hawkman: You want him dead or alive?
    - Justice League #17

The new origin is interesting, but will it stick? That's probably the better question.

I am kind of curious how the new Hawkman mythology will re-work Hawkgirl. And I guess Hath-Set kind of hijacked his way into it now?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The new origin is interesting, but will it stick? That's probably the better question.

I am kind of curious how the new Hawkman mythology will re-work Hawkgirl. And I guess Hath-Set kind of hijacked his way into it now?
    I have the feeling that The Lord beyond the Void is Barbatos and that Hath-Set was the pawn he used on Earth to twarth Ktar's attempt to redemption.

Honestly, I don't know muh about Hawkman's past and mythos, but I'm really liking the current run. It easily shows that his history spans not only time but space, and also seems to offer something big without limitating him to one foe: the Deathbringers and their lord may be important part of his past, but they aren't why he saves life per se. Just an element which led to him feeling the need to redeem himself, no matter the time and sacrifices, something I can respect.

Mighty Member

I like the new origin. I feel like it gives Carter more agency in his own fate rather than being part of an unlucky couple who were cursed. I feel like adding a tangible end point to the reincarnation cycle is also a good thing, even if we'll never actually SEE that it makes it feel like the character won't just be spinning his wheels forever but it still leaves plenty of wiggle room to keep telling stories with him.

Moreover, I don't know if I really want Hawkman to have a set-in-stone reason for being a hero. As I've explained to the aforementioned critics above, Hawkman's a hero for the same reason many soldiers, cops, and firefighters are heroes: because he can and he wants to be. That was always more than enough for me, and in many ways more relatable and even compelling than what Venditti's done here.
    I think this still applies to Hawkman My reading wasn't that Carter is destined to be a hero who saves people, he's doing it because he can and because it's the right thing to do. It's implied he's been doing this for a long time and the current Carter didn't even remember the reincarnation bargain, he's a hero and an adventurer because he wants to be.

On the other hand, though, it all feels a bit too much too quickly. I would've liked to have seen a bit more of who Ktar was before and why exactly he's grown so disenchanted with being a Deathbringer, to the point that he's willing to sacrifice countless lifetimes to make up for his sins. What changed? Obviously he knew death and destruction was a part of the gig; it's right there in the title, for crying out loud! It's clear he's over it, but I would've liked some more build-up and explanation preceding the sudden turn of "I've had enough of this!" that we're offered here. Maybe we'll get more, though, so I'll withholding judging it too harshly for now.
    More background would have been nice, but I am also kind of happy that this was contained to one issue. Pacing has always been a weak point for Venditti IMO and I'm just grateful that this was one issue instead of a four issue arc

I'm also curious what Hawkgirl's role in this is going to be. The redhead seemed to act as some sort of conscience for Ktar? She followed him from battleground to battleground. I'm interested to see how their reincarnations ended up intertwined.

the "new" origin makes sense to me. i think it adds rather than detracts from who hawkman is.

i feel venditti is doing a much better job with hawkman than he did with green lantern.

Astonishing Member

Because what Hawkman definitely needs is another origin? No thanks and I think this new origin just lacks the utility of the pre-Nu52 one while being way too convoluted like so many other Hawkman origins that have fallen to the wayside.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 12-15-2018 at 09:27 AM.

The Son of Suns Clairaudient Freedom Soldier's Avatar

Venditti and Hitch were 6 for 6 before this issue, they were doing wonderful work, and now ... they have demolished Hawkman! This origin for Hawkman is wrong, wrong, wrong! They built Hawkman up only to tear him apart! This is not Hawkman, and this origin is abhorrent! Damn it all! Hawkman is not an idolatrous mass murderer! This is not Hawkman, this is terrible, this is wrong, wrong, wrong! Hawkman has been ruined again!
    Take a couple of minutes and check out this new comic book, friends: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...no-more-crises