Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    All-New Member

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but I saw that the service will only have around 2500 comics at a time in the app according to the FAQ. I was really hoping it would be more like Marvel’s app where nothing leaves the app, they just keep adding books. Very disappointing to see that.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I've spent most my time with the service on my desktop browser, so there should be no problem.
    Sweet, thank you

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ry1212 View Post
    Not sure if it has been mentioned, but I saw that the service will only have around 2500 comics at a time in the app according to the FAQ. I was really hoping it would be more like Marvel’s app where nothing leaves the app, they just keep adding books. Very disappointing to see that.
    There is a small blurb on the top of the comic list that states the full library will be available for purchase in October, so it seems the free selection will rotate? I'm not sure. They haven't clarified that yet.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Got a Roku stick for $30 at Best Buy and now I'm loving the service. I can't get enough of it. I'm not going to do any other thing this weekend.
    Yeah, I've decided to buy a new TV because I really need a new one anyway (mine's an ancient monster of a TV so a Roku stick or the like won't work) and I was saving up for a new one anyway. I should have just enough money for it by the time Titans hits the airwaves though I might try getting it much sooner than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    There is a small blurb on the top of the comic list that states the full library will be available for purchase in October, so it seems the free selection will rotate? I'm not sure. They haven't clarified that yet.
    I think you're correct about the free section being the one that rotates while the full library (which might also include the "free" stuff that was rotated out) will still remain available for purchase through the app should someone want to. I'm not really interested in the purchasing aspect though since I'm more interested in reading things for free that I've not read before rather than the N52 stuff or anything current. I've already read the N52 stuff I wanted to read and I have all my current subscriptions through Comixology and don't plan to change that unless DC sells things cheaper on this app which I seriously doubt they will. I do understand and sympathize with people who are upset and what have you about the comics area but for me this set up is perfect though it is secondary for me since I sighed up for the shows and movies rather than the comics.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 09-17-2018 at 07:52 AM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Double-posting most of this message from other thread (favorite comics of New Earth) to discuss the comic book selection on DCU...

Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    I’ve been meaning to read Hitman for years and haven’t gotten around to it.
    Same here but I have it saved to a favorites list to read/watch it on the streaming service on a giant TV in panel mode.

Hitman is one of the classic DC series that gives you a pretty good start for free. I realize the series ran 60 issues plus some annuals but as a new reader to this old series, I'm pretty happy they have the first 28 issues live already. It's going to be the kick in the butt I needed to finally read this series that so many have recommended here.

Same goes for Dixon's original Birds of Prey series. Never read it before though I always meant to and the first 36 issues are on DCU streaming.

There are so many old series' I wanted to catch up on and DC's streaming service is going to make me check each one out that's got a pretty good backlog.

I can't remember how far into Ostrander's original Suicide Squad back when it was hitting the stands but I'm doing a deep dive there too since DCU has 25 issues and an annual.

When it comes to the streaming service I'm less focused on what's not there than what is. I've already consumed all the DC stuff I knew I wanted to check out but this service is making me check out truly great stuff I never would have gotten to otherwise. As a DC lifer, I call that a sweet bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    Yeah, I've decided to buy a new TV because I really need a new one anyway (mine's an ancient monster of a TV so a Roku stick or the like won't work) and I was saving up for a new one anyway. I should have just enough money for it by the time Titans hits the airwaves though I might try getting it much sooner than that.

I think you're correct about the free section being the one that rotates while the full library (which might also include the "free" stuff that was rotated out) will still remain available for purchase through the app should someone want to. I'm not really interested in the purchasing aspect though since I'm more interested in reading things for free that I've not read before rather than the N52 stuff or anything current. I've already read the N52 stuff I wanted to read and I have all my current subscriptions through Comixology and don't plan to change that unless DC sells things cheaper on this app which I seriously doubt they will. I do understand and sympathize with people who are upset and what have you about the comics area but for me this set up is perfect though it is secondary for me since I sighed up for the shows and movies rather than the comics.
    I think you're going to be very glad you invested in a new TV. To me, the HD version of Batman: The Animated Series is almost worth the price of admission alone. It's freaking gorgeous.

I too signed up for the movies/TV (new and old) and not for the comics. I hadn't thought I'd enjoy reading comics on my TV. But the panel mode means I get to see this art I've loved so much my entire life blown up enormously much and so crisp and vivid I'm reading a LOT of comics on my TV, ones I've read before and ones I haven't.

I don't feel like I've ever made a better $75 purchase than I did when I signed up for a year on the first day it was available. And apparently I'm getting a NTT omnibus into the bargain? Kevin Smith said all pre-orderers were getting that so I hope that's so. Even if it isn't, I've already pretty much gotten $75 worth of entertainment from the service over the course of a weekend of virtually nothing but DCU streaming.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I'm going to get most my mileage out of the comic section during my lunch break at work. It's great for that, but it's still frustrating that they're going to allow purchase to books that require a recurring payment to access. Perhaps there exists a stipulation I don't understand, but I'm not buying a comic to be held in a service I pay $8 a month for.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    I think you're going to be very glad you invested in a new TV. To me, the HD version of Batman: The Animated Series is almost worth the price of admission alone. It's freaking gorgeous.
    I'm hoping I will be and not just in regards to this service. I'm one of those people that takes very good care of electronics because of how expensive they are so for me things tend to last awhile and so I only replace them when they break or when they become so obsolete they can no longer work with the newer tech. To be honest I'm was extremely lucky to have gotten this far with it and I think that was only because it was one of the early digital capable tvs and a top of the line one to boot. My ex never bought anything that wasn't top of the line with regard to electronics. In any case I'll get a new tv and my great niece will get a tv and can play older games on it for several more years. It's still good enough to use for older gaming consoles and she really likes playing vintage video games that her dad played when he was a kid (and he likes playing them with her as well) so it's a win for everyone.

I too signed up for the movies/TV (new and old) and not for the comics. I hadn't thought I'd enjoy reading comics on my TV. But the panel mode means I get to see this art I've loved so much my entire life blown up enormously much and so crisp and vivid I'm reading a LOT of comics on my TV, ones I've read before and ones I haven't.

I don't feel like I've ever made a better $75 purchase than I did when I signed up for a year on the first day it was available. And apparently I'm getting a NTT omnibus into the bargain? Kevin Smith said all pre-orderers were getting that so I hope that's so. Even if it isn't, I've already pretty much gotten $75 worth of entertainment from the service over the course of a weekend of virtually nothing but DCU streaming.
    I'm loving the shows myself and the movies too. The thing that surprised me though is how much I've been enjoying the comics as well. I don't really care about the newer stuff since I've either already read it or I'm currently reading it but I am very interested in older material or material from the period of time when I wasn't reading so I hope there will continue to be more of that.

I've been streaming pretty much the last few days in particular and I also feel that I've gotten my money's worth already from just watching what I've watched. Heck, of the only thing I watched all weekend was B:TAS that would have been worth the yearly price since I paid way more for the DVD box sets when they originally came out then the cost of DC Universe's yearly sub.

The only thing I really am disliking is the community. It's not very user friendly in my opinion and lacks moderation, which it desperately needs. Feels like a disaster waiting to happen to me at any rate.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 09-17-2018 at 10:34 PM.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Double post. Sorry.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 09-17-2018 at 10:39 PM.

Good grief, this service is so great when one can access it and so frustrating when one can't.

My Roku stick which allowed me to access DCU from 9/15 until last night (on two different TVs by moving the Roku stick) no longer allows me to receive DCU at all. The app is still there, but every time I select it, it kicks me back to the Roku home screen.

If I'm quick enough I can just barely click the very first thing that appears and play it but if I don't click it the very second it appears I'm booted back to the Roku home screen.

I already went through problems with older model of Apple TV (though DCU never listed version requirement and I had to learn that from Apple support) and bought Roku as a result. Now Roku isn't working either.

I sincerely doubt it's a Roku issue. DCU just wasn't ready to launch. The connectivity problems are everywhere. It's so frustrating when I love the service so much and can't access it.

In case anyone has the same problem I did, it was resolved by reducing my "favorites list" drastically. If you're being kicked out on Roku, reduce your favorites list on laptop or other device and you should be fine.

I'm enjoying the service overall. I agree with others that the comic selection is disappointing. I'm hoping this is just them keeping it small so that they can make announcements like "We're doubling the comics library" or something.

I'm pretty disappointed by DC Daily. I'm not sure why they thought breaking it into segments was a good idea. I'm also disappointed in the length. A <5 minute news segment, an interview, then ~10 minutes of discussion about some random thing that's on DC Universe.

This is their own service now. They should be striving for having new content all of the time. 15 minutes of a show that barely skims the surface isn't enough. I'm not even sure if this show is as good as DC All Access.
    Last edited by matthew; 09-19-2018 at 06:45 AM.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I signed up and am very, very pleased. The selection at first glance is broad enough that it feels worth it. I watched Batman Ninja for example and it was better than I thought it would be; that alone made it worth it so far. Then I checked the comics and saw New Gods #1. That's the kind of stuff I would want in the library, not just current titles but past landmark runs that aren't always easy to find. For what I'm getting I think it's cheap enough and am very happy.

Extraordinary Member

has fire stick been added?

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    has fire stick been added?
    No, not yet.