Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Who do you think is a better villain, Toyman or Prankster?

Both Toyman and Prankster are Superman villains that fit a similar role, but which one do you think is a better villain?

Good question. It's kind of a tough choice but I'm gonna go with Toyman ...

Speaking of which, it would be good to see them both turn up soon ... I don't think we've seen them in the New 52 yet

Right now? Prankster. They made Toyman into a psychopath. Or at least they did. I don't know if he's shown up in the New 52 yet.
    Hope is not lost today. It is found.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    Right now? Prankster. They made Toyman into a psychopath. Or at least they did. I don't know if he's shown up in the New 52 yet.
    I think they retconned things so the child killer Toyman was simply a malfunctioning robot made by the real Toyman, rather then being the real Toyman, after that Toyman became a character who felt that he had kill certain adults to defend the interests of children. So he wasn't just a psychopath, more like a misguided villain who had good goals (protecting children) but bad methods (killing adults).

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I think Toyman is more menacing. A sadistic predator of children. Though I think Geoff Johns made him a fun friend again.

Definitely Toyman.

I LOVED the super creepy Toyman from Superman: TAS!

BANNED

GA Prankster was a ruthless gangster with a killing streak and a taste for the absurd. Toyman was less menacing in the GA, but he was also entertaining. But GA Prankster was still murdering well into the 40's, past the time even Joker had stopped killing. And he tried to copyright the alphabet decades before Joker tried to copyright fish. I give the advantage to Prankster, with a special badge of merit to Toyman for his awesome pogo stick he used to bounce around the rooftops of Metropolis with.

I like Toyman too. I think the TAS approach would be great in the New 52. Someone who we never actually meet, and only know him through his various toy avatars.

BANNED

Toyman's creepier, Prankster's funner.

I like both of these villains. Always made Superman use his brain over brawn.
    Right now I would prefer to see a New 52 version of Toyman. Just think of the toys they have now for kids. Have Toyman be an actual toymaker from today, and not
    the Old toys are better version. That would make Toyman a serious threat for a change.

Toyman. In Toyman's own words, "Loomis is the Salieri to the Mozart you see before you." Prankster's not bad though, just prefer Toyman.

Retired

Reading the original stories of the Prankster, he does lend himself to clever plots. But I just never cared for the look of the character. Whereas, the original Toyman, with his long hair, smock and spectacles is a visually interesting fellow.

Something I've noticed about villains of the '40s is that they often dress in an old-timey way. What would have been old-timey for the 1940s. This includes the Joker and the Toyman. I wonder why that is. Maybe the younger generation of writers and artists (most of whom were still in their twenties) looked with suspicion on the older generation. Much like oldman Potter in IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE is a remnant of a bygone era, while George Bailey represents a new generation.

Don't know about the Prankster of the comics verse, but I know that of the two in Lois and Clark: the New Adventures of Superman the Prankster was the infinitely more interesting of the two. Admittedly, that could be because they didn't use Toyman until the very last episode of the series (and the one so few people actually saw) but the Prankster always had a lot of the same beats as the Toyman used to better effect. Again, this is the "Lois and Clark" versions I'm talking about. Of the two I preferred the Prankster a lot more.

Eh, they're both puny, unsuitable villains for a planet-splitter like Superman.

Donate both of them to Green Arrow's rogues gallery. They seem much more up his alley (as evidenced by Toyman's appearances in SMALLVILLE vs Oliver Queen)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Eh, they're both puny, unsuitable villains for a planet-splitter like Superman.

Donate both of them to Green Arrow's rogues gallery. They seem much more up his alley (as evidenced by Toyman's appearances in SMALLVILLE vs Oliver Queen)
    I don't want Supermans rogues gallery to be that limited.