Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Anyone Else now an Anti shared Universe person

The recent news that Henry Cavil is out as Superman made me think. Why do we need a cinematic universe? For DC, it did not work. I can't speak for all comic books characters but does anyone else feel the cinematic universe concept has gotten lacklustre, it has done no favours to Batman, Superman, Spider-Man? Perhaps it is because the series mentioned already had movies before the cinematic universes began or do better in their own domain. I hope I don't get any hate but I don’t want a DC movie universe, it certainly has not worked for DC, It did not really work for Spider-Man, I don't believe for a second it will work for X-Men when they join the MCU.

Anyone now wish we can go back to the traditionally element of comic movies. Make everything separate again though leave MCU as they are. If people did not confuse Batman Begins and Superman Returns in 2005-2006 or X-Men 2 and Spider-Man 2 in 2003-2004 not taking place in the same universe. Why will people confuse comic characters not appearing in other movies or getting references in another character’s movies?

Last but not least, the comic movies without the shared universe are still the best. They taste like fine wine when you watch them compared to cinematic comic universe movies that usually taste like sodas. The best Batman, Superman, Spiderman and The X-Men movies are the Christopher Reeves Superman, Tim Burton/Christopher Nolan’s Batman, depending on your preference, Sam Raimi’s Spiderman and for future reference, the top tier X-Men movies, as I don’t expect Marvel to do any movie better than Logan, X2, Deadpool, X-Men First Class or Days of Future Past when they make their X-Men movies. Cinematic universes works for characters nobody knew anything about until movies. (Iron Man, GOTG, Captain America, Ant-man, Thor, Black Panther). Having others follow the equation has not done any good. I want DC to drop their cinematic universe and get back to comic movies basis now that Henry and possibly Ben Affleck is also gone.
    Last edited by Marvelgirl; 09-13-2018 at 06:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    Anyone Else now an Anti shared Universe person
    Not me.1010

Im indifferent to them.

If they pull it off great. If they don't, better luck next time.

BANNED

DC's movies did not work because critics and audiences didn't like them. You could say it was because of something they did or because of the numerous behind the scenes dramas; at the end of the day the fact is that they didn't work because of public perception and not anything else.

In my opinion it was not really what was wrong with the movies but mostly with their marketing and overall attitude toward superheroes. I think in recent years with the re-focus of management over the DC films and the idea that things don't have to be connected or be leading up to some big bombastic event is a good sign that things are moving in a better direction. The important thing is to just tell great stories featuring great characters, and at the end of the day that is all I want to see.

Create the story first, understand your protagonists and the setting they live in, who they interact with, etc, before thinking about the "grand scheme" and all the other noteworthy characters that exist in this world.

It's fun to think about but if it doesn't make sense then it isn't worth it. Studios seem more in a rush to create "universes" before even building a franchise

This reads like thinly veiled MCU hate.

Anyway, you can do a "shared" universe without making everything work together perfectly. Kind of what the X-men do. It's is the same world but they aren't actively building to one story or anything.

Which works. I don't need everythign to work out one to one.

DC should just go, "yes this is the same world but no, we have no crossovers planned right now."
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Not me.1010
    Speak for you only.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post

Anyway, you can do a "shared" universe without making everything work together perfectly. Kind of what the X-men do. It's is the same world but they aren't actively building to one story or anything.

DC should just go, "yes this is the same world but no, we have no crossovers planned right now."
    This is exactly what they've been saying since Wonder Woman came out.

How can you have a successful universe if its individual galaxies aren’t doing so hot? None of that seems to worry Nelson, and that’s partly because DC and Warner have adopted a new strategy: Let’s rethink that whole universe thing. They’re not giving up on the idea of continuity, but they want to deemphasize the idea that all of these flicks are occupying the same space. “Our intention, certainly, moving forward is using the continuity to help make sure nothing is diverging in a way that doesn’t make sense, but there’s no insistence upon an overall story line or interconnectivity in that universe,” says Nelson, drawing nods from the top brass around her.
    You can check out the full article here
    http://www.vulture.com/2017/09/dc-wo...-universe.html

BANNED

DC didn't fail because of a shared universe. It failed because they hired a guy to build it who had no clue what a good superhero movie is. Man Of Steel was not a shared universe movie, and it was horrible. The successive movies built on and magnified everything that was wrong with it.

There's nothing inherently wrong with a shared universe as long as you focus on making a good movie first and foremost.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    DC's movies did not work because critics and audiences didn't like them. You could say it was because of something they did or because of the numerous behind the scenes dramas; at the end of the day the fact is that they didn't work because of public perception and not anything else.
    This is true.

But I do think being part of a shared universe decreases the odds of any individual movie becoming a classic that is regular viewing decades from now.

BANNED

Also, to answer the thread question - no, I love it. I can't wait for the superior X-Men movies to be released into a shared universe ala MCU

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post

The last thing here is vile MCU hate. You seem to have forgotten many comic movies were around before the MCU. Most of them are better because they did not follow the cinematic universe concept. The Dark Knight would be weaker if Superman was helping out Batman, X2 will be weaker if Avengers showed up, not to mention derailed the entire movie, same for Superman in TDK. Spider-Man 2 will be weaker if he was endowed with Stark's Technology. Replace an older and wiser Aunt May from Spider-Man 1 with Tony Stark in Homecoming, you will see a better movie.

I want things to get back to basic, I did say MCU should stay as they are but Batman, Superman and X-Men should not gave gotten a cinematic universe approach. They work better in their own domain as long as the right people are behind the cameras. They have tons of movies to showcase this theory. When they are put as part of a bigger world their story seems so stale compared to their comics. When they are just alone, the stories comes more alive with their movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    Speak for you only.
    I literally spoke(well, wrote) for myself only.

EDTI: By the way, try to follow your own advice.

It did not really work for Spider-Man
    Last edited by SpiderClops; 09-13-2018 at 06:48 AM.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Nope.

The conjuring has a shared universe and it's working well for them.

Quote Originally Posted by superhsalf View Post
    Also, to answer the thread question - no, I love it. I can't wait for the superior X-Men movies to be released into a shared universe ala MCU
    I will not get any superior X-Men movies. The Cinematic universe approach is already a hindrance among many other things. I can't recall ten stand out X-men arcs with a cinematic universe connection or reminded me of an MCU movie unless by some chance Logan secretly turned out to be an MCU movie or Days Of Future Past.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 09-13-2018 at 03:02 PM.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Nah, I’m still pro shared universe.

I want to see the charcters I’m fans of interact on screen instead of being alone fighting the same group of villains every decade. A successful shared universe gives studios access to a whole lot more potential properties to use instead of relying on a small handful of them.