Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    And when you don't get someone competent to direct them, things go to hell. You are putting all your eggs in one basket. With stand alone movies one bad movie doesn't drag the rest of them down.
    Part of the failure of Justice League traces back to Batman v Superman. A large group of people didn't like BvS and so felt JL would be more of the same and stayed home. If BvS had never existed
    it is possible more people would have showed up to see JL. Suicide Squad, no matter your opinion on the quality, did well because it wasn't dependent on other movies to establish the team. Justice
    League could have been the same sort of thing. We know who Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, and Aquaman are. So just bring them together and go fight Darkseid.
    WB didn't give themselves time to correct the course with Justice League. If I'm not mistaken, they started filming Justice League a week before BvS hit theaters.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    BvS hit
    Haha new name.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    And when you don't get someone competent to direct them, things go to hell. You are putting all your eggs in one basket. With stand alone movies one bad movie doesn't drag the rest of them down.
    Part of the failure of Justice League traces back to Batman v Superman. A large group of people didn't like BvS and so felt JL would be more of the same and stayed home. If BvS had never existed
    it is possible more people would have showed up to see JL. Suicide Squad, no matter your opinion on the quality, did well because it wasn't dependent on other movies to establish the team. Justice
    League could have been the same sort of thing. We know who Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, and Aquaman are. So just bring them together and go fight Darkseid.
    So how do you think the sequel to Suicide Squad will do? Considerably less business than the original domestically? Personally I enjoyed JL and thought the critics were a little too harsh but it still got better reviews than SS, came right after the positive reviewed and box office moneymaker WW and had a strong cast but was underwhelming at the box office.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    So how do you think the sequel to Suicide Squad will do?
    Impossible to say at this point. How well Shazam and Aquaman do will probably be a large factor in this, as well as what else is coming out in the same month.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    I will not get any superior X-Men movies. The Cinematic universe approach is already a hindrance among many other things. I can't recall ten stand out X-men arcs with a cinematic universe connection or reminded me of an MCU movie unless by some chance Logan secretly turned out to be an MCU movie or Days Of Future Past.
    Mystique not being a X-Men leader alone will make MCU X-Men movies 10000% better. Cyclops storylines and role handed over to give Wolverine more screentime will make the new movies FAR more superior.

Just because they will be integrated does not mean they cant be self contained like the best Xmen stories are. I want the Xmen handling their own business. I don't want Tony Stark flying in to "save them" or upgrade their technology etc. And that can be done in a shared Universe. They have their own geniuses, they have their own funding there is no reason they cant be done far better than Fox's largely trash takes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    That's the question.

Star Wars, I imagine, would have more discussion since, for 7 movies, it was a single line of movies. Now with Rogue One, Solo, and future spinoffs, it's getting broader now like the other types of CUs we're used to seeing.
    There were back in the Lucas days the Ewok movies and much later the Clone Wars film, although pretty much all were intended for TV- (The Ewok movies did get some theatrical runs in other countries however, and I'm not entirely sure why Lucas decided to release the CW pilot as a theatrical release)...and hardly given the marketing and fanfare that Rogue One and Solo got.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    ...I'm not entirely sure why Lucas decided to release the CW pilot as a theatrical release...
    It wasn't the pilot but three early episodes (and not even the first three episodes) edited together. It didn't have a pilot.
    And after seeing early footage of the tv show, Lucas was impressed by the quality and decided to uplift it to a theatrical release.

To answer the original question;
    About 90% of the fanfics I follow, are crossovers. So, no. Shared universes has been something I've always enjoyed. Like Disney's crossover of Aladdin and Hercules animated series, the DCAU, and more. One of my favorite things with these crossovers, is seeing how characters interact with others and in situations that are far different than what they normally deal with.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

This shared universe thing only works with Marvel movies. DC could have done it too, but their studio executives let themselves be influenced by people who did not have the firmest grasp of what people actually enjoyed about comic book movies.

It's not too late for them. They can definitely rebound, because the innately nonsensical premise of comic book universes means you can always reboot until you get it right. Luckily for them, the Wonder Woman franchise is looking rock solid, and Shazam looks extremely fun as well. Using them as the foundation, the DCEU can get it together by simply ignoring what's bad and building on what's good.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Nope.

The conjuring has a shared universe and it's working well for them.
    Plus the clerks universe, the classic universal monster universe (those black and white films were all in the same universe), the breakfast club universe (did you know weird science and others takes place in the same universe), and the steven king universe among others.

TV we have tons of shows in the same universe. Did you know full house and family matters are in the same universe!

Nope. I love the MCU.

Shame Warner Bros can't get their act together. I am looking forward to the Shazam movie which surprises me.

Retired

I haven't seen the two Hulk movies or very many of the Marvel Studios movies, but I understand that the Hulks in these are all different yet somehow related. How do Marvel fans reconcile these variants inside the shared universe? Is there any head canon that smooths over the differences?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I haven't seen the two Hulk movies or very many of the Marvel Studios movies, but I understand that the Hulks in these are all different yet somehow related. How do Marvel fans reconcile these variants inside the shared universe? Is there any head canon that smooths over the differences?
    The Hulk movie from 2003 was not related to the MCU in anyway.

The Incredible Hulk from 2008 is part of the MCU. In it Edward Norton played Bruce Banner. Norton and Marvel parted ways, so Mark Ruffalo was recast as Banner.

The MCU has recast for a few roles. But in every case, the original actor made one appearnce, then the new actor took over the in second appearance.

Not tired of it at all. Just dont think everything needs to be apart of one. The McU Is stronger for its shared universe but DC was hurt by it. It's all in the execution. But having these characters you love cross over is gonna always make people happy and they are gonna want it. But yea dowsnt mean u have to build everything around that idea. If WW and Aquaman are a success maybe Aquaman pops up in WW3 to lend a hand. Like dont force it but if everything works and the plot is strengthened by the team up then do it. Ragnarok was made better by the HULK appearance.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Yes. The audience watching these movies are really being watched from “The Watchers” perpspective who are recounting the most significant events in the MCU so any discrepancies are do to them being a lil tipsy that day and getting the voice/face wrong.

But seriously, any recasts happened after their first appearance and we’ve spent more time with their replacements so it doesnt really matter.