Thread: For Tomorrow

Default For Tomorrow

What's the consensus on this storyline?

Trying to decide if I want to buy the collected editions.

Mixed. Great art by Lee. It’s a somewhat interesting exploration of how Superman deals with the struggles of being Superman. The main antagonist is pretty boring though, and the character designs are pretty damn ugly. I liked Supes conversations with the priest, those felt well done. I liked the priest and the merc antagonist.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Kind of a weird story. Frankly I tried a few months ago to go back and read it, but the dialogue just jarred me and scared me away. I remember a solid pay off and throughout the work there are some extremely cool scenes. And I love Jim Lee's work so so much.

The biggest problems were originally reading it, the issues seemed to go nowhere. Of course the trade fixes that. But 12 issues take forever and because so many things happen it feels like a few smaller stories mashed together.

This review is pretty accurate imo
    But may contain spoilers
    https://them0vieblog.com/2013/06/10/...ospective/amp/

The consensus is definitely mixed, probably closer to the "negative" end of the spectrum when all is said and done. But I myself thought it was decent. There's a lot of really interesting, cool bits in the story, Jim Lee's splash pages are, well, Jim Lee splash pages (they're amazing, obvs), and Azzarello is a much "smarter" writer than Clark usually gets, and Azz had some interesting things to say about Clark that might not seem to fit the character at first glance, but make a lot of sense when given some thought.

However, there's several dead limbs on the story, and there are characters, events, and developments that felt needless, occasionally out of character. There's one fight between Clark and another very famous character that did not go the way it should have at all (far too heavily in Clark's favor), and Jim Lee's character designs for the new people are pretty horrid (Lee has never been good at design, in my opinion) and the story tries to be more cerebral than your average Superman story, which a lot of people aren't looking for in their Super-comics, they just want aliens and explosions.

I don't know if you'd like it or not. I'd try to find a spoiler-free review. Or if nothing else base your purchase on your opinion of Azzarello. If you like him, buy For Tomorrow. If you don't like Azz's work, this probably isn't going to change your mind.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Speaking of design, Superman basically fights his own version of Kaioh from Fist of the North Star. Loved.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

It's a story where Superman is revealed to be the ultimate villian. And so many aspects of the story (such as the new Zod) were never addressed again. I think the only longing impact the story had was the Amazon fortress, which was gone in Infinite Crisis.

There really is no consensus on this.

Personally, I didn't care for the art - but you no doubt have your own opinion on whether you like Jim Lee's art.

The story though was very good for me. Easily one of the better Superman stories around.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

When I first read it, I thought it was another modern re-invention of Superman as a dour, moody outsider. I think the art is where I made that impression.
    I have re-read it since a couple of times and it actually strikes me as a updated love letter to the scope and scale of classic Superman. The last time I read it I swore it was one of the better Superman stories and I thought Azarello's Superman was better than his Batman run.

I went ahead and and got the trade paperback.

What do I need to know before I read?

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Leopard View Post
    I went ahead and and got the trade paperback.

What do I need to know before I read?
    Other than Clark and Lois are a couple, nothing, really. It's pretty much a self-contained story.