Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Husk View Post
    Watching Izzy and Sam, albeit how limited its been, raising Josiah has been worth more than him getting back with Tabby could be worth. At some point, these characters need to move forward. Also, writers need to stop thinking retcons are acceptable to get their own way. I'd be livid if they just retconned out his wife and kid. It's beyond disrespectful to other writers and the hard work they put into their stories.

Still, it's hypothetical at this point and hopefully Brisson can avoid it.
    I am indifferent to Sam's new family, but I agree - I think there are far more interesting ways to deal with continuity (desirable or not) than cheap retcons. Reminds me of how much more of an interesting story Scarlet Witch's post M-Day arc could've been if Marvel wasn't so desperate to wipe her slate clean.

Ultimate Member

Actually outside of that Avenger book Izzy really has no connection to anything X, and who knows what Sam and Tabitha could be worth now...as for moving forward, kids never seem to stick around long outside of Reed and Sue's kids so not sure that the pair will stay together and a retcon or quick fix would be perfectly in character for Marvel to free Sam up...

The point I was making wasn't that Marvel couldn't but that they shouldn't. Just because Smasher seems unrelated to the franchise, other than Sam and being an Imperial Guardsman, doesn't mean years of development should be thrown away. Tabby and Sam haven't been together in a long time and they didn't even seem like a long term plan the first time. She cheated on him with Berto. It's dead, keep it buried. He has a love interest, give her a new one.

Watching Izzy and Sam, albeit how limited its been, raising Josiah has been worth more than him getting back with Tabby could be worth. At some point, these characters need to move forward. Also, writers need to stop thinking retcons are acceptable to get their own way. I'd be livid if they just retconned out his wife and kid. It's beyond disrespectful to other writers and the hard work they put into their stories.

Still, it's hypothetical at this point and hopefully Brisson can avoid it.
    They did, like 2 decades ago. Its only one poster thats stuck in the 90s that is trying to make this happen

The point I was making wasn't that Marvel couldn't but that they shouldn't. Just because Smasher seems unrelated to the franchise, other than Sam and being an Imperial Guardsman, doesn't mean years of development should be thrown away. Tabby and Sam haven't been together in a long time and they didn't even seem like a long term plan the first time. She cheated on him with Berto. It's dead, keep it buried. He has a love interest, give her a new one.
    Agreed 100%. While this is mostly the 90s cast, they are not the same. All have been through some things. Cable is, well, definitely not the same. Ha. Guess we’ll find out how different this twink version is from the OG over time. Sam has been an X-man and an Avenger, is married and has a kid. Warpath has been down a dark path, participating in a black ops kill squad version of X-Force and then Weapon X, and is now trying to be a better man. He’s no longer the angry young man that he was. Shatterstar has come out as bi, and is in a relationship with Rictor. Domino has had flings with Wolverine, Colossus and Warpath and is probably not going to get with Kid Cable (at least I hope not). At her core, though, she’s still fun. So is Boom-Boom. Same old fun, entertaining Tabitha. So at least that’s consistent. But pretty much everyone else has changed quite a bit.

If Brisson doesn’t explore those changes and instead chooses to regress these characters, he’s doing them a disservice IMO.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    Actually outside of that Avenger book Izzy really has no connection to anything X, and who knows what Sam and Tabitha could be worth now...as for moving forward, kids never seem to stick around long outside of Reed and Sue's kids so not sure that the pair will stay together and a retcon or quick fix would be perfectly in character for Marvel to free Sam up...
    She's part of a group that are friends/enemies of the X-Men.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Not that it feels good losing my favorite character but this Bable has potential. It is different from the O5 in that the development is completely normal for him and not having to be a grandpa helps tell stories with him. I haven’t been reading the current event but if he is more vicious or powerful that is neat.

If one hasnÂ’t been reading Cosmic Ghost Rider, I have to say that Burnett is spectacular if not commercial.

I don't mind the line-up that much, but I kind of hope it isn't final.
    Deathlok is obviously the least interesting. He's probably there to be the gun-toting macho guy from the future, now that Cable is a twink.
    I also hope Cannonball isn't staying long. He's one of my favorites (see my avatar), but as Brisson said, X-force is supposed to be about outcasts. That's not a role that fits the character anymore, he should be on Uncanny.
    Kid Cable is also meh, but I'm willing to give him a chance, because has been one of the most consistent X-writers so far.

I hope Syrin and Rictor join soon. They fit the OG X-force criteria and would help make the team more interesting and balanced.
    I feel like Theresa in particular should get a big push just like Magik had. I don't really love the Morrigan stuff and want her (mostly) back to her usual self, but I'm sure a good writer could do some great stuff exploring the after effects of her time as Morrigan (she could even get an updated powerset from that).
    Also, as I said in a previous post, it would be pretty cool to have some actual new additions to X-force, like Sunspot and Magik (Syrin, Sunfire, Warpath and Magik on the same team would be a cool new take on the ANAD X-men).
    I also wouldn't mind if X-force was the book where they really developed the character of Kwannon.

Basically, the more I think about it, the less sure I am that I want such an OG X-force retread, when they could explore so many cool new stuff and relationships. I hope the new team is more than it seems.

Ultimate Member

Sam fits the team due to the reason for the team existing in the first place, his connection to Cable, it'd be strange really for Sam not to be here...now if/when they move past that...

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I don't mind the line-up that much, but I kind of hope it isn't final.
    Deathlok is obviously the least interesting. He's probably there to be the gun-toting macho guy from the future, now that Cable is a twink.
    I also hope Cannonball isn't staying long. He's one of my favorites (see my avatar), but as Brisson said, X-force is supposed to be about outcasts. That's not a role that fits the character anymore, he should be on Uncanny.
    Kid Cable is also meh, but I'm willing to give him a chance, because has been one of the most consistent X-writers so far.

I hope Syrin and Rictor join soon. They fit the OG X-force criteria and would help make the team more interesting and balanced.
    I feel like Theresa in particular should get a big push just like Magik had. I don't really love the Morrigan stuff and want her (mostly) back to her usual self, but I'm sure a good writer could do some great stuff exploring the after effects of her time as Morrigan (she could even get an updated powerset from that).
    Also, as I said in a previous post, it would be pretty cool to have some actual new additions to X-force, like Sunspot and Magik (Syrin, Sunfire, Warpath and Magik on the same team would be a cool new take on the ANAD X-men).
    I also wouldn't mind if X-force was the book where they really developed the character of Kwannon.

Basically, the more I think about it, the less sure I am that I want such an OG X-force retread, when they could explore so many cool new stuff and relationships. I hope the new team is more than it seems.
    My ideal would be:
    Cable, Shatterstar, Rictor, Boom Boom, Monet, Siryn, and Magik.

Nostalgia with some twists. X-Force, X-Factor, and New Mutants Dead Souls melded by the parts that make the most sense.

Agree re: Sam. He and Dani should be X-Men or Avengers. Kwannon would also be great.

My ideal line up would be pretty much this team as is, but with grown ass man Cable instead of a kid version, plus maybe Bedlam instead of Deathlok. I feel like they could make him more Terry Crews like and do some fun stuff with an underused character like Bedlam.

This lineup is the one that makes sense given the team's mission. Id be all for the likes of Bedlam, Dani, Monet, Magik, etc... with X-Force but they wouldnt really make sense as this is spinning out directly out of Extermination and those characters barely had any connection to Cable if any at all. They'd be great as members of a X-Force, just not this X-Force

Well, Deathlok has no connection that I'm aware of either. To be fair. Maybe there's an in story reason for his inclusion that we'll get to. I'm sure there is.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    As stated before, I'm all for Siryn. I actually don't get the hate for the Morrėgan thing. It's a bit loopy but not entirely without context. She is Irish. At the time, Theresa was using the mantle of Banshee (an Irish fairy associated with death). Morrėgan is the Goddess of War and the Battle Slain. It was nice that one of her biggest threats came from someone within her own culture. Perhaps that's just my rose tinted view as an Irishman.

That said, with Jamie playing such a big role in this soft relaunch of the X-Men, it would be remiss if she didn't show up somewhere.

Ultimate Member

Actually outside of PAD Terry really hadn't had anything at all to do with Jamie in decades, he's only ever brought her heartbreak so she should be VERY FAR away from him...part of the problem with the Morrigan mess was that it seemed to have all been done to fix Jamie, that Terry's whole storyline existed for nothing more than for Jamie's benefit to turn him back into his human form, that the storyline didn't really go anywhere for Terry, it was a loose end that some just feel like it made things more convoluted and messed up and would best be something that was either retconned away or just ignored, unless used to fix Sean and then done away with...