Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Still, as of her last major appearances he was significant. There was no closure. And retconning it isn't the solution. A talented writer only needs to take the plot, centre it on her, and then they can adapt the narrative so it's her story rather than involving someone else. If anything, Marvel needs to stop letting writers retcon history that stands in their way. Alter the story, not the character.

Astonishing Member

The new x-force comic book looks like will be awesome.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Husk View Post
    Still, as of her last major appearances he was significant. There was no closure. And retconning it isn't the solution. A talented writer only needs to take the plot, centre it on her, and then they can adapt the narrative so it's her story rather than involving someone else. If anything, Marvel needs to stop letting writers retcon history that stands in their way. Alter the story, not the character.
    Just to underline what was wrong the Morrigan thing: basically every other major player in the X-Factor run got at least some cameos along the way, was mentioned or even got a mini series during the last years. Well guess who is basically gone and forgotten?
    It could be an explanatation that not one of the writers (of the dozens that handled some members of the former X-Factor team) could imagine a suiting X storyline plus it just does not seem to connect with any Marvel universe storylines (which is super odd as we had the literal War for Magic in a lenghty run on Doc Strange).

My point is that in the end it did not do the character any good for years! I totally agree that retconning can be really really terrible and annoying but I feel you have way too high expectations in a writer in putting a forgotten C or D list character in the center of a good narrative without swinging the retcon axe. I would be overwhelmed by happiness if my favourite X character of all time would get something (even a cameo) but I won't hold my breath.

Rosenberg namedropping her and building something around Sean might help. Fingers crossed.

Ultimate Member

Terry could be the final straw to get the real Sean back, Morrigan or not. Terry's closure was that she brought Jamie back to his normal humanoid self at the end so that he could live happily ever after so to speak with Layla on their farm, besides that though Terry hasn't had anything in years and maybe some writers don't want to mess with the Morrigan business...though Terry could catch up with both her father and Warpath...

Quote Originally Posted by poolovision View Post
    My point is that in the end it did not do the character any good for years! I totally agree that retconning can be really really terrible and annoying but I feel you have way too high expectations in a writer in putting a forgotten C or D list character in the center of a good narrative without swinging the retcon axe. I would be overwhelmed by happiness if my favourite X character of all time would get something (even a cameo) but I won't hold my breath.
    I don't think your wrong that the storyline may be part of what's holding her back. However, I don't think it's a high expectation of a writer to manage any character properly. When telling professional stories, a writer should be able to adapt and manage the character as required. At least, a good writer would be able to. I think retcons are ridiculous and have made comics and characters too convoluted, to the point where they often end up starting over: the Original 5 and, it seems, Kid Cable were/are attempts to streamline characters so they could be used in a different fashion. Any writer worth his or her salt would be able to take any character, Terry included, and adapt what's been written into an interesting story.

Ultimate Member

True, but then again you get situations like with Havok, where 99% of the Marvel U was no longer inverted but he was left inverted for several years before Bunn fixed him, as if Marvel had forgotten about him until then...so that Marvel can want things changed in a heartbeat and force that on a writer, who has to set up other writers that gets in the way of what they wanted to write, retcons can confuse or streamline a character...or both...

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I really like the fact that Jordan White is rebuilding the X-books around only a handful of writers. You obviously have less variety but it's the only way to make stories feel like they matter again instead of only existing in a vacuum for everyone to ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by psylurker View Post
    I really like the fact that Jordan White is rebuilding the X-books around only a handful of writers. You obviously have less variety but it's the only way to make stories feel like they matter again instead of only existing in a vacuum for everyone to ignore.
    I kind of agree. A smaller, more tight knit group of books sounds good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    The new x-force comic book looks like will be awesome.
    It does look good. Not sure how I feel about the interior artist. Wish Larraz was doing interiors. And Kid Cable is...well, we’ve established that he’s a lame concept and not my favorite. But I’ll wait to see where that goes...

Spectacular Member Solitaryhawk's Avatar

I'm really liking this group. As with the original series, members will come and go as it progresses so people shouldn't view the current roster as static. X-Force was actually a better comic in the issues when Cable was off tending to his own paradoxical agenda in various spin-offs and crossovers in other titles (with the odd "death" thrown in for effect). I don't see this habit changing with his present boosted popularity.

My only concern is that Shatterstar's shock-wave power was changed (for reasons still unexplained) to him becoming a broad-range teleporter (meaning he can move large groups to far distances) and I don't see how that ability can be utilized with this current line-up. And it's such an important one! His known psychic anchors necessary to initiate jumps are Rictor and Longshot (Dazzler is only speculation). Failure to use 'Star's most significant asset, and the only one that sets him significantly apart from Warpath who is now similarly armed and skilled, is a real head-scratcher for me. I hope Ed Brisson will address it.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaryhawk View Post
    I'm really liking this group. As with the original series, members will come and go as it progresses so people shouldn't view the current roster as static. X-Force was actually a better comic in the issues when Cable was off tending to his own paradoxical agenda in various spin-offs and crossovers in other titles (with the odd "death" thrown in for effect). I don't see this habit changing with his present boosted popularity.
    It just might. The original series went on for over 100 issues. This one will be lucky to get 12

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    It does look good. Not sure how I feel about the interior artist. Wish Larraz was doing interiors. And Kid Cable is...well, we’ve established that he’s a lame concept and not my favorite. But I’ll wait to see where that goes...
    Yeah,Larraz being the interior artist would be awesome.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    It just might. The original series went on for over 100 issues. This one will be lucky to get 12
    Nice and positive.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Nice and positive.
    Nice and practical

Series don’t really last to 100 issues anymore before getting rebooted. These days 12-24 issues is a good run. Sadly.

And I think the artistic choice is going to hurt sales on this book. Burnett has a fun, kinetic style but it’s not as commercial as someone like Larraz, Immonen, or even R.B. Silva. The best way I could describe it is “indie” like.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Series don’t really last to 100 issues anymore before getting rebooted. These days 12-24 issues is a good run. Sadly.

And I think the artistic choice is going to hurt sales on this book. Burnett has a fun, kinetic style but it’s not as commercial as someone like Larraz, Immonen, or even R.B. Silva. The best way I could describe it is “indie” like.
    Marvel should just own up and say "we're only doing LS/Maxi-series" give a run a finite end. If it's good great, add another chapter, if it's bad it won't last long. Dead Souls was a good book. It didn't last long and had implications for other stories.

I kind of look at it like British tv. Short, sweet, but better quality than an american series that's 14 seasons long.