Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New 'Miles Morales: Spider-Man' Ongoing Announced

Saladin Ahmed (Exiles, Quicksilver: No Surrender) & Javier Garron (Ant-Man & the Wasp, Secret Warriors) take Miles on an all-new ongoing!

http://m.ign.com/articles/2018/09/13...-marvel-series

We can exclusively reveal that Marvel is debuting a new comic called Miles Morales: Spider-Man in December 2018. The new series will be the first ongoing Miles Morales book not written by co-creator Brian Michael Bendis. Instead, Exiles writer Saladin Ahmed and Secret Warriors artist Javier Garron will be charting the next major chapter in Miles' superhero career.

We were able to talk with Ahmed via email about his and Garron's plans for the new series. When asked how he sees Miles' role in the larger Spider-Man franchise, especially with Peter Parker recently returning to a more traditional status quo, Ahmed said, "For my money, Spider-Man is, at his core, a teenage hero. In this book, Miles will be that Spider-Man: battling threats against the community and the city rather than the universe, and trying to do so while dealing with grades and bullies, family and botched dates. This is classic Spider-Man, but very much dealing with modern concerns and realities."

We also asked if Ahmed was nervous at the thought of stepping into Bendis' shoes with the character, given how much Bendis has been the prime mover with Miles Morales since his 2011 debut. Ahmed said, "I've not spoken to Bendis, but he is absolutely brilliant, and his writing was one of the things that brought me back to super hero comics after years away. So of course there's some intimidation factor. But ultimately you have to just respect the work and creation of those who came before you while still being confident enough to put your own stamp on the stuff. Superheroes are myths built with layers of story. If other creators hadn't gone on to help define Peter Parker after Lee and Ditko, we wouldn't have the Spider-Man we know and love today."

Miles has been a valuable addition to the Marvel Universe amid the push for greater diversity in superhero comics. We asked Ahmed, whose parents are of Lebanese, Egyptian, Irish and Polish descent, if his own family background influences how he connects with the character. "I think our background always informs how we tell stories, it's just a question of how conscious of that we are. And there are always both bridges and gulfs between ourselves as writers and the characters we're writing. I'm not Black or Puerto Rican, I 'm not a teenager, I didn't go to a nice school like Miles does. But there are lots of points where we do connect powerfully, even points where his experiences connect with my kids' experiences., and I absolutely draw on those connections."

Ahmed also revealed that Rhino will be the first major Marvel villain to appear in the new series. "Of all the Marvel tropes, the hard-luck supervillain is maybe my very favorite, and Rhino is sort of the Ur example of that. It's precisely because he's a sort of artifact of the Silver Age of comics, this hulking prehistoric monster vs. Miles as a sort of young face of the modern super hero. There's going to be some fun back-and-forth between them."

Ahmed also teased that Miles' Uncle Aaron will return in his new role as the Iron Spider.

Ahmed's a good choice of writer.

That makes three of the Champions that Garron has drawn now.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Ahmed was not who I was expecting. He's definitely an excellent writer even if a more classic Spider-Man book isn't something I was really expecting from him. Nice to know who the new creative team on Miles' book will be, nevertheless .

"For my money, Spider-Man is, at his core, a teenage hero." I'm just going to chalk that up to publicity and not take that comment too seriously .

I think it's good to see them leaning into Miles as the teenage Spider-Man again because that's definitely the one niche he has all to his own at this point unless Marvel wants to go back to man-child Peter. I'm eager to see Ahmed explore Miles' school and love life more intimately then Bendis did.

"The hard-luck supervillain is maybe my very favorite, and Rhino is sort of the Ur example of that." Is he? I mean, setting aside the whole "wife was murdered by another Rhino thing," I don't think Rhino's really that hard-luck. That's more like Sandman or one of the C or D-list Spidey Rogues. You don't really hear Rhino complain about not being able to pay bills or get a new job.

Garron's not one of my favorite artists, but I think he'll be okay on this. He's no Pichelli, Marquez, or even Bazaldua though.

Ahmed is a strong choice for writer. I'm definitely interested in seeing where he goes with Miles.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    Saladin Ahmed (Exiles, Quicksilver: No Surrender) & Javier Garron (Ant-Man & the Wasp, Secret Warriors) take Miles on an all-new ongoing!

http://m.ign.com/articles/2018/09/13...-marvel-series

We can exclusively reveal that Marvel is debuting a new comic called Miles Morales: Spider-Man in December 2018. The new series will be the first ongoing Miles Morales book not written by co-creator Brian Michael Bendis. Instead, Exiles writer Saladin Ahmed and Secret Warriors artist Javier Garron will be charting the next major chapter in Miles' superhero career.

We were able to talk with Ahmed via email about his and Garron's plans for the new series. When asked how he sees Miles' role in the larger Spider-Man franchise, especially with Peter Parker recently returning to a more traditional status quo, Ahmed said, "For my money, Spider-Man is, at his core, a teenage hero. In this book, Miles will be that Spider-Man: battling threats against the community and the city rather than the universe, and trying to do so while dealing with grades and bullies, family and botched dates. This is classic Spider-Man, but very much dealing with modern concerns and realities."

We also asked if Ahmed was nervous at the thought of stepping into Bendis' shoes with the character, given how much Bendis has been the prime mover with Miles Morales since his 2011 debut. Ahmed said, "I've not spoken to Bendis, but he is absolutely brilliant, and his writing was one of the things that brought me back to super hero comics after years away. So of course there's some intimidation factor. But ultimately you have to just respect the work and creation of those who came before you while still being confident enough to put your own stamp on the stuff. Superheroes are myths built with layers of story. If other creators hadn't gone on to help define Peter Parker after Lee and Ditko, we wouldn't have the Spider-Man we know and love today."

Miles has been a valuable addition to the Marvel Universe amid the push for greater diversity in superhero comics. We asked Ahmed, whose parents are of Lebanese, Egyptian, Irish and Polish descent, if his own family background influences how he connects with the character. "I think our background always informs how we tell stories, it's just a question of how conscious of that we are. And there are always both bridges and gulfs between ourselves as writers and the characters we're writing. I'm not Black or Puerto Rican, I 'm not a teenager, I didn't go to a nice school like Miles does. But there are lots of points where we do connect powerfully, even points where his experiences connect with my kids' experiences., and I absolutely draw on those connections."

Ahmed also revealed that Rhino will be the first major Marvel villain to appear in the new series. "Of all the Marvel tropes, the hard-luck supervillain is maybe my very favorite, and Rhino is sort of the Ur example of that. It's precisely because he's a sort of artifact of the Silver Age of comics, this hulking prehistoric monster vs. Miles as a sort of young face of the modern super hero. There's going to be some fun back-and-forth between them."

Ahmed also teased that Miles' Uncle Aaron will return in his new role as the Iron Spider.
    So I guess Spy-D, the teen secret agent trained by Cable is out.

Niffleheim

I already hate that damn cover and Garron's art was never to my taste BUT i loved Ahmed's Black Bolt's mini so looking forward to this.

Very excited about this! Ahmed's one of the best writers working right now with both Black Bolt and Exiles (haven't read Quicksilver yet), and I'm a big fan of Garron's art in Star-Lord, Secret Warriors, and Ant-Man & The Wasp, so this is a perfect match for me! All for seeing what direction he decides to take the character.

Smile

At least they aren't going with "Spidey" (or however the heck you spell it) on the cover.

PS I'm glad Miles is getting a new ongoing. I was a little worried there for a bit.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    At least they aren't going with "Spidey" (or however the heck you spell it) on the cover.

PS I'm glad Miles is getting a new ongoing. I was a little worried there for a bit.
    Honestly, a new Miles ongoing was about as much a sure thing as you can get. No way in hell it wasn't going to happen.

I'm surprised - in a very good way - by the creative team. Ahmed is an excellent writer and Garron is solid on art. Can't wait to check this out!

December's gonna be a hell of a month for the Spidey books!

SpOck returns in an ongoing, Miles gets his new ongoing, and I'd be surprised if Spectacular doesn't relaunch with a new team.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Honestly, a new Miles ongoing was about as much a sure thing as you can get. No way in hell it wasn't going to happen.

I'm surprised - in a very good way - by the creative team. Ahmed is an excellent writer and Garron is solid on art. Can't wait to check this out!

SpOck returns in an ongoing, Miles gets his new ongoing, and I'd be surprised if Spectacular doesn't relaunch with a new team.
    Perhaps Spider man and the X-Men again or the scarlet spiders with Ben and Kaine and even hummingbird.

I'm looking forward to this.

That Black Bolt mini-series by Ahmed was really good.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    Perhaps Spider man and the X-Men again or the scarlet spiders with Ben and Kaine and even hummingbird.
    Who knows? December solicits will be out next week.

Plus in December, Ottley's next arc on ASM should begin as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    And looks like Bombshell's sticking around too, so I'm very happy!

I believe them mentioning Spectacular has at least one more Spider-Geddon tie-in so we know officially about a relaunch and new team until January, which is probably when we'll get a couple more Spider book additions, I'm hoping for another attempt at a new team book.
    Last edited by Inversed; 09-13-2018 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    I think one thing I'm hoping Ahmed does is finally expand on and develop the supporting cast, since I feel Bendis dropped the ball on that to some degree.

Judge being into Creative Writing and Poetry is cool...although that also reminds me of Randy from the Marvel's Spider-Man cartoon.

That tweet at the end also makes me curious to see how Ahmed might handle Peter.
    Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    I'm curious if PAD will have another Spider-Book waiting in the wings.

I wouldn't be surprised if G-G-G-Ghost Spider has a new ongoing as well.

If only so they don't have the optics of not having any female-led titles.