Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Yup that'd be my guess.
    Or it just sucked. Which is the most likely scenario.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

If Marvel stopped publishing books that sucked Gold wouldn't have reached 36 issues.
    In other news it's most likely due to the Alonso to Cebulski switch.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRev72 View Post
    Or it just sucked. Which is the most likely scenario.
    That's never stopped Marvel before

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    If Marvel stopped publishing books that sucked Gold wouldn't have reached 36 issues.
    Yeah, I bet Waid would still be writing Champions if Alonso was still in charge. And that means Viv's storyline would've been different.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Fantastic Member

I think what happens to Vision hinges on Avengers 4. If he is permadead, then there's a high chance he will be offed in the comics as well, as none of Marvel's writers other than Cain want him around.

My guess is editorial have ordered Vision be killed off, and Cain's book featured a very much alive Vision.

Though Cebulski may be a Wanda/Vizh shipper given his "manga" output, so Vision may yet survive.

True, if Aaron wanted to use Vision, then the No Surrender writers wouldn't have done what they did. Maybe Hulk would've torn an arm off or something instead of bashing his head, leaving him terminally ill. With no second mainline Avengers book (only what is basically Young Avengers in disguise in the West Coast title), there was nowhere else for him to go. Hence why Champions is dealing with that storyline.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    I think it's less about stories not working out and more about how they decided that the story didn't work out after they were already so far into the project. It's about the time and effort the creative team put into a book that's never gonna see the light of day. I think it would've been a lot more understandable, even for Chelsea and Marc (people seem to forget he was writing that too), if they had turned their pitch down one or two years ago, before they started actively working on the scripts, getting an artist, inking, coloring, etc. That's A LOT of work that was just discarded, and time was not an excuse, because they had plenty of that to plan things out.
    Yeah,it must be anoying to the professional comic book creators situations like this.
    I wonder why this Vision limited series is not published as a out of continuity story though.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    One or two years ago the story was probably fine. They probably changed their minds about the 'direction' somewhat recently, they've been known to do that...
    Well, that's the entire problem. Changing your mind about a project when it's already underway and almost finished is not exactly a nice thing to do to the people who were working on it. It's not even like it was some long-running project anyway. It was literally just a 6-issue mini. Was this change really that urgent that couldn't have waited between November of 2018 and April of 2019? I guess we'll see.

Yeah, the whole ''the book got cancelled because it was bad'' excuse is just moronic. So they were perfectly fine with 3 bad issues and then decided to draw the line at the fourth? Please. Chelsea had pitched the entire thing for them beforehand. They knew everything about the story AND they greenlit it. Claiming they only realized the book was bad at that point is just bullshit.

As for this happening because of the EIC change, it could be, but then that's on Marvel. According to Cain, they got an artist for the book last December, AFTER Cebulski had been made EIC, and they had been working non-stop ever since. There's no way he wasn't aware of this happening. He allowed the production of the book to go for months, even as far as allowing the book to be announced not long ago... If they only realized now that things weren't gonna work out because of the editorial change, then that's questionable management in the least.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    I wonder why this Vision limited series is not published as a out of continuity story though.
    A much better alternative. I know the book was initially promoted as a continuation of Tom King's work in the mainstream universe, but they had two months until it was out, so there was still time to alert retailers and readers about a possible new AU direction so everyone would know exactly what they were getting into.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 09-18-2018 at 05:24 PM.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Marvel's been promoting What If recently, you figured they could at least try and justify it under that umbrella (although it would be a clunky title).
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Marvel's been promoting What If recently, you figured they could at least try and justify it under that umbrella (although it would be a clunky title).
    A 'What If' will not change the basic fact that this is a direction incompatible with what Marvel have decided they want to do with these characters. The conversation keeps orbiting the idea that the problem is a divergence from planned canon. We can easily see that isn't true based on the statements made by everyone other than Marvel.

Also it just isn't structured like a What If. Those stories hinge entirely on that "What If" idea. This was a continuation of King. It is not possible to change the premise after writing four of the six issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    A much better alternative. I know the book was initially promoted as a continuation of Tom King's work in the mainstream universe, but they had two months until it was out, so there was still time to alert retailers and readers about a possible new AU direction so everyone would knew exactly what they were getting into.
    That just isn't how writing works. That's just marketing, and marketing cant fix this.

Fantastic Member

Aud Koch did post on twitter that she was paid for the work she did on Vision.

Quote Originally Posted by doomeye56 View Post
    Aud Koch did post on twitter that she was paid for the work she did on Vision.
    Cool. That confirms other sources. Although being paid the standard page rate (if they even got that) is not the same as having a high profile book out on the shelves, and for the last twenty years creators that have hits also take a profit cut, which may never have happened here but I bet it did for King's Vision. (Indeed, King would have been paid again for the Director's Cuts.)

I speculated even when I doubted they would get paid, that Marvel may have changed their policy on these situations after their relationship with Fraction went so sour. I am glad they do now have this kind of policy. I don't think this is generally how creators get paid. In other words, if the book had been on schedule I believe payments would have been made on publication not on submission.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 09-18-2018 at 08:01 AM.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

She also likely wasn't paid for the work not yet done. But I'm glad she got paid. Hopefully she'll have more work from Marvel in the future.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?