Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Zub mentioned that it had continuity issues. "Direction of the character" and continuity are at least consistent terms. That being said, I agree it's possible it was something else.

I feel like this is something Akira Yoshida should address. I'm not saying he should have to comment on every book, but when a book is announced and then cancelled - particularly one that got such fanfare, it needs to be addressed.
    According to his Twitter he found out online that the book was cancelled along with the rest of us. Seems to me if it was anything to do with his continuity then they would have just checked with him.

He went on to say:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Zub on Twitter yesterday
    The story plans I have for Viv and Vision in Champions haven't changed and, from what I was told, the Vision series was fine doing its own thing.

I'm as in the dark on this as the rest of you.
    Sounds to me as if nobody has told him what these 'character directions' actually are.

To me this sounds much more corporate than editorial.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 09-15-2018 at 05:39 AM.

Incredible Member

Considering what Editorial allowed Brian Micheal Bendis to get away with I doubt Vision would have been any different.

Maybe we should let the folks at Marvel run their own business. I'm sure this was a financial consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Blunt Guy View Post
    Maybe we should let the folks at Marvel run their own business. I'm sure this was a financial consideration.
    Thanks for your contribution. Some of us are interested in discussing how Marvel run their business. We are hardly interfering in that by discussing it.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I do think the bridge burning going on twitter is a shame. Maybe Chelsea Cain is over working for Marvel and I don't blame her, but, since I read mostly Marvel, I would have loved it if the option to have her keep working there was still available even if this project was dead. However, that's seeming less and less likely.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

I do think the bridge burning going on twitter is a shame. Maybe Chelsea Cain is over working for Marvel and I don't blame her, but, since I read mostly Marvel, I would have loved it if the option to have her keep working there was still available even if this project was dead. However, that's seeming less and less likely.
    She hasn’t actually said that much. She has only pointed out that it is a shame for her artist and that she has no reason to be quiet about her disappointment. It’s not like she is being nasty, she is just highlighting something. She doesn’t really need Marvel. They came to her. She has been positive about her relationship with specific editors.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

She said this:

"You know what I just realized? I think that @Marvel thought I would be quiet about this whole "killed" Vision comic thing because I was quiet after Mockingbird was cancelled. Let me clarify. I was quiet then because I was scared. Not of you, Marvel. Of the internet."

"I'm not scared of either of you anymore."

Everyone likes Wil Moss (including me, I think he's one of the best editors at Marvel), but that doesn't mean this relationship is salvageable.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Chelsea Cain talks about Vision's axing.
    https://ew.com/books/2018/09/14/chel...sion-canceled/
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    That's sounds highly unlikely. Every interview I have heard that touches on how the money works would suggest no payment is made without publication. There is a slim possibility that after the Fraction affair they added a cancellation clause but whether that would mean the effort put in was properly paid for or not being available for other work is adequately compensated only the creatives would be able to judge.
    That's horrible for the people who worked so hard on this. Marvel seems to be a real cheap company to work for.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    According to his Twitter he found out online that the book was cancelled along with the rest of us. Seems to me if it was anything to do with his continuity then they would have just checked with him.

He went on to say:

Sounds to me as if nobody has told him what these 'character directions' actually are.

To me this sounds much more corporate than editorial.
    I hope Zub is not getting any misguided hate from the internet because of this, as people can be quick to jump the gun. I figured this was the case. It was clear he was already laying out his plans for the Visions for a while now, so Marvel knew what he wanted to do when they went as far as to announce The Vision. Something must have really come up just now, and it drives me crazy that couldn't bother to wait just a little instead of creating this whole mess. What's so important that couldn't wait until April of next year? Now I'm curious.

I feel the same way. I know she has other works and I would love to support her, but I have a lot on my plate right now and I'm just more inclined to give Marvel books a chance, as it is something I'm already invested on. I would really like to see her writing another Marvel book again, but I also support her decision to walk away if she wants to.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Chelsea Cain talks about Vision's axing.
    https://ew.com/books/2018/09/14/chel...sion-canceled/
    Very insightful. Not just about The Vision, but also about Mockingbird and the industry as a whole. Again, I'm glad she's speaking up.

I guess it is because I have read many articles about talent from either Marvel or DC when they sign exclusive contracts or following some of the careers of various artist and writers but she really did not reveal anything new. Freelancers, for any job, are basically the same as part-time workers at any company. Part-timers are paid for their work but they don't have benefits. When Crossgen started one of it's incentives was medical insurance. Many writers and artists have talked about in their exclusive contracts with Marvel or DC is they ask for health insurance as part of their contract. As a novelist she should understand she is paid for he work but her publisher does not provider her benefits like health care. I am only using health care as an example. Freelancers at any job are subject to the company they are working for. If they have not signed a noncompete clause then they are free to find additional work to supplement their income while they are waiting on their primary employer to offer them a job. Also she is in the publishing business she should know a publish can and will change their minds about publishing something. If she is a comics fan as she claims she has also seen both DC and Marvel do this in the past in the past several years so nothing new there. I am assuming her surprise is the fact instead of being on the fan side she is on the writers side. I really want to be sympathetic to her but having followed the comics industry from the outside for 42 years (I started learning how to read with comics at the age of 5) I just cant.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaled View Post
    I guess it is because I have read many articles about talent from either Marvel or DC when they sign exclusive contracts or following some of the careers of various artist and writers but she really did not reveal anything new. Freelancers, for any job, are basically the same as part-time workers at any company. Part-timers are paid for their work but they don't have benefits. When Crossgen started one of it's incentives was medical insurance. Many writers and artists have talked about in their exclusive contracts with Marvel or DC is they ask for health insurance as part of their contract. As a novelist she should understand she is paid for he work but her publisher does not provider her benefits like health care. I am only using health care as an example. Freelancers at any job are subject to the company they are working for. If they have not signed a noncompete clause then they are free to find additional work to supplement their income while they are waiting on their primary employer to offer them a job. Also she is in the publishing business she should know a publish can and will change their minds about publishing something. If she is a comics fan as she claims she has also seen both DC and Marvel do this in the past in the past several years so nothing new there. I am assuming her surprise is the fact instead of being on the fan side she is on the writers side. I really want to be sympathetic to her but having followed the comics industry from the outside for 42 years (I started learning how to read with comics at the age of 5) I just cant.
    maybe she's not asking for sympathy.

Incredible Member

The level of unprofessionalism and incompetence required to complete only four issues in two years is breathtaking. In an industiy that routinely delivers monthly books for literally dozens to titles.

Maybe Marvel's "creatives" should stay the heck off of social media and actually...I dunno...work or something...

Spectacular Member

I feel for the artist. Sucks to put in that much work only for it to be shelved.

That said, the comic sounded just terrible, and I have zero patience for Cain.
    When criticized for retconning Mockingbird into a cheater and murderer, she hid behind the barely-present harassment.

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
    The level of unprofessionalism and incompetence required to complete only four issues in two years is breathtaking. In an industiy that routinely delivers monthly books for literally dozens to titles.

Maybe Marvel's "creatives" should stay the heck off of social media and actually...I dunno...work or something...
    Damn, feels like your taking this personally.

How is it her fault again?

Pretty sure theirs a lot of stuff that actually goes into creating a comic, but nah, lets call her "unprofessional" and "incompetent"...
    Last edited by Flashback; 09-15-2018 at 10:32 PM.