Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Superman movies after Cavill - what are you expecting?

Okay, admittedly, Cavill leaving hasn't been confirmed yet. But it definitely is a possibility. So if he does indeed leave and the Big Blue gets another reboot (or soft reboot or revamp or whatever), what are you hoping to see in the next Superman movie or movies.

In terms of new actors, I'm actually kinda hoping they skew young with Superman. Maybe someone in the 25-30 range. There have been plenty of origin stories for Superman on-screen but we've never actually seen a visibly 'young' Superman other than Brandon Routh (and he was supposed to be playing the experienced Reeves version). I'm hoping for an actor who could embody the New 52 Superman from Morrison's run, or the Superman from Earth One or American Alien.

Granted, they may not be able to go with a Superman that young if they intend for the new version of Superman to co-exist with the Supergirl (and chances are the Supergirl movie will be out before the next Superman one). Though I'm kinda hoping that the next Superman movie will be an 'early years' film ala Matt Reeves' Batman film, from what we've heard of it.

Now for the story - The early part of the movie would show us Superman operating in Metropolis. He takes on organized crime, particularly Intergang, but he also clashes with corrupt and exploitative businessmen and politicians. Basically, there's a dash of the Siegal/Shuster Superman in him, albeit updated to the 21st century of course. The authorities are vary of him, but many cops - particularly SCU officers Maggie Sawyer and Dan Turpin - view him as a hero, as does the public. In the meantime, as Clark Kent, he's an investigative reporter tirelessly fighting for the disenfranchised, and enjoying a friendly rivalry with Lois Lane. Oh, and both the Kents are alive in this version, and we see Clark with them at the farm on occassion, discussing how he feels about his role as Superman and his worries that he may be going too far sometimes.

The plot gets kicked off when Lex Luthor makes contact with Brainiac after a LexCorp satellite picks up one of Brainiac's drones, who is aware of who and what Superman is. Luthor 'invites' Brainiac to earth, hoping to use Brainiac to get rid of Superman, who's actions have been affecting his illicit dealings and his stranglehold over Metropolis. Brainiac however arrives intent on assimilating earth's knowledge and then destroying it, as it has countless other planets. Brainiac steals several cities by 'shrinking' them into pocket dimensions based in bottles, and Metropolis gets shrunken as well. Superman pursues Brainiac's ship but gets captured and placed in Kandor.

The rest of the film is a powerless Superman finding a way to escape Kandor with the help of a scientist there (an old friend of Jor-El and Lara's), and then regaining his powers in time to stop Brainiac from destroying the earth, and thus cementing himself once and for all as earth's greatest hero.

I think a story like this would be perfect when it comes to showcasing Superman both as a crusader of the people and also as the world-saving hero who fights against sci-fi threats.

I'm expecting no Superman movies for a long time. 7 years at the least (taking into account the time between SR and MOS), but a decade+ at this point would not surprise me either. Independent of Cavill's future in the role, the fact they want to move on to Supergirl is extremely telling to me. WB doesn't have confidence in Superman as a property, as indeed it hasn't been a huge success on the big screen in a long time. Due to their own failings of course, not the character, but that's a whole other discussion.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-13-2018 at 02:06 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

"The world is as it always was...on the brink, with good fighting evil. See you in twenty"

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I'm expecting no Superman movies for a long time. 7 years at the least (taking into account the time between SR and MOS), but a decade at this point would not surprise me either.
    That was a time when WB had only 2 options: doing movies about Superman or Batman. Now they've more options to choose from than just alternating movies about these 2 characters. Supes could be shelved indefinitely.
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 09-13-2018 at 02:07 PM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

They'll limp along for a few years after without a Superman and no more JL movies and then give up the ghost and reboot again. Whatever other non-Superman projects are already in the works will probably get finished depending upon how far along they already are. Flash, maybe. But I think that Birds of Prey movie is essentially off the table. Ditto Batgirl. At least as part of this universe anyway.
    Assassinate Putin!

I expect the same thing I've been expecting since BvS; poor films with a poorly thought out and wrong-headed overall DCEU direction, chaos amid WB's management structure, constantly changing plans and cast, no respect given to any IP that isn't Batman, and films that get announced but never make it into full production.

So, we've had a pile of garbage for DC movies since BvS (with the notable exception of Diana's first film) and I expect that we'll still have a pile of garbage after Cav-El's regretful departure. The only big difference is that the DCEU (or whatever we're calling it now) will lose one of its bright points, and the best person to yet don the "S" in live action will never get to show us just how amazing he could be.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Superman is now stuck in the same limbo Cyborg is. They won’t officially cancel but they aren’t going to do anything with him. If they reboot I want an adaption of Morrison’s Action Comics run. Golden Age power levels, Metallo as the main antagonist.

Incredible Member

I'm not expecting much of anything...I do not have any confidence in WB's LA division whatsoever...

Master Hero Vladimir

I can only hope that Henry's dismissal is just a rumor and that he can play Superman in the future, but even if he stayed, there is still the bigger problem of WB not doing any Superman movies in the future, which is likely related to the restructuring WarnerMedia is undergoing at the moment. Whatever changes WarnerMedia is experiencing, I can only hope they are for the best, at least when it comes to the DCEU. If Henry stays, good; he has another chance. If he leaves; then I hope he finds success in other projects. If Henry is let go because Warner has no idea of what to do with Superman, then that has to be the biggest insult done to the character since Superman: Truth. As for recasting Superman, I hope the actor both looks the part and properly conveys Superman's personality. One thing I cannot stress enough is that I don't want Superman to be portrayed by a person of color. I mean; Clark Kent? Kal-El? Those have to be some of the whitest names in comic book history, apart from Bruce Wayne and Peter Parker. I would only accept a black Superman if it was Val-Zod from Earth-2 or Calvin Ellis from Earth 23, and even then, it would be a huge longshot to move away from the source material. Needless to say, Warner has an uphill battle to make Superman a relevant cinematic property again. All of this makes me doubt of Warner's ability to move their film series forward. I genuinely hope Warner can make a genuinely enjoyable Superman movie once again; I just don't see that happening anytime soon.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Holy crap, they should 100000% get John Krasinski and Emily Blunt to be the new Superman/Clark Kent and Lois Lane! Both of them already auditioned/contemplated playing superheroes (Cap. America and Black Widow). Krasinski's surprisingly imposing while also 100% selling the whole adorkable thing. Plus, his deadpan comedic timing is great, AND his dramatic acting (and directing) is off the charts.

As for Blunt? Like, do I even need to sell Emily freakin Blunt? Edge of Tomorrow showed off her badass chops and action movie cred all at the same time. Plus, like Krasinski, A Quiet Place solidified her dramatic chops more so than it already was.

Plus, they're even actually married. I'm gonna now be super disappointed if it's anyone but them now lol

Forbes agrees with me I guess

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhug.../#791ea21d1bd0
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Holy crap, they should 100000% get John Krasinski and Emily Blunt to be the new Superman/Clark Kent and Lois Lane! Both of them already auditioned/contemplated playing superheroes (Cap. America and Black Widow). Krasinski's surprisingly imposing while also 100% selling the whole adorkable thing. Plus, his deadpan comedic timing is great, AND his dramatic acting (and directing) is off the charts.

As for Blunt? Like, do I even need to sell Emily freakin Blunt? Edge of Tomorrow showed off her badass chops and action movie cred all at the same time. Plus, like Krasinski, A Quiet Place solidified her dramatic chops more so than it already was.

Plus, they're even actually married. I'm gonna now be super disappointed if it's anyone but them now lol

I'm 100% sold. That's a really inspired choice.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I could totally get behind this.

But unfortunately, I do not expect new movies for Superman any time soon.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

They'd have to restart a whole new universe. Which I can get behind never having been a fan of the DCEU. Hopefully this one would be a little more upbeat with Jonathon Kent actually encouraging his son to help people instead of just letting a bus full of kids die. There's also the question of time frame. With the other movies still in the works, how long would they have to wait to start another universe? Five years? Three? MOS came out literally a year after the last Nolan Batman movie so it's not like DC has a history of waiting.
    Assassinate Putin!

LOL, Krasinski. Something about him... whenever I look at him, I think of Zachary Levi, whom we all know now as Shazam.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I think of Jim standing around in a Superman costume making funny meme faces.

What I expect is a 12 to 15 year distance. We may have a number of tv spots if not a dedicated show. I think the amount of fanfare with the writing will correspond to how close we are, since obtaining success probably looks like an extreme about-face.

But... if they deliver a fanfare Superman smiling and bro fisting like a Marvel character, and that isn't a success, then I'm willing to bet the whole thing is seriously screwed for a few decades.