Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Holy crap, they should 100000% get John Krasinski and Emily Blunt to be the new Superman/Clark Kent and Lois Lane! Both of them already auditioned/contemplated playing superheroes (Cap. America and Black Widow). Krasinski's surprisingly imposing while also 100% selling the whole adorkable thing. Plus, his deadpan comedic timing is great, AND his dramatic acting (and directing) is off the charts.

As for Blunt? Like, do I even need to sell Emily freakin Blunt? Edge of Tomorrow showed off her badass chops and action movie cred all at the same time. Plus, like Krasinski, A Quiet Place solidified her dramatic chops more so than it already was.

Plus, they're even actually married. I'm gonna now be super disappointed if it's anyone but them now lol

Forbes agrees with me I guess

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhug.../#791ea21d1bd0
    They'd be good but I'm on the they should be Reed Richards and Sue Storm-Richards train.

Yeah, Krasinski in particular gives off FAR more a Reed vibe than a Clark/Superman vibe.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    They'd be good but I'm on the they should be Reed Richards and Sue Storm-Richards train.
    I've seen his name thrown around for Reed some, but I personally think Matt Smith (the 11th Doctor) would be a much better choice for Reed in particular. Smith has even stated that he does in fact want to join the MCU, and he's already pretty firmly planted in recent memory as playing a character who passes the time by outsmarting gods and cosmic monsters to save worlds. That's my off topic pick anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I think of Jim standing around in a Superman costume making funny meme faces.
    I can already imagine during the promotional cycle for the new film, SNL having Krasinski host it and them doing a skit called "The Planet" lol
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Also, not sure if I'm expecting to see this or not given how the Michael B. Jordan rumors are being largely debunked, but a Calvin Ellis aka President Superman movie functioning in the same sort of way that Joaquin Phoenix Joker movie can function alongside WB's plans for continuing with Suicide Squad.

The way I see it, there's apparently been talk or at least interest in doing something with Red Son for a while now, and with the idea of a POC Superman coming back into focus and gaining some interest while things are in flux, I think it might be in the cards to do a Superman Elseworld film same as Joker. This doesn't even stop them from eventually, if not simultaneously, casting my mans Krasinski (or whatever other more traditional take they like). Maybe even get some ground swell along the lines of "dude, are they leading up to Crisis or something like that!" but never really saying yes or no till stuff's in place.

My pick for Calvin Ellis aka President Superman? Omari Hardwick or Idris Elba.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Elba would be phenomenal as President Superman.

First off, he's got the age to lend credence to the position of POTUS, as well as gravitas to Superman.

He isn't a prettyboy.

And he'd arguably be the most talented man to ever wear the suit (no offense to all our favorites, but Elba's acting can be on a whole different level).

And for a bonus, the internet would have a field day with the Thor-Superman memes. Heimdal died and got reborn as Superman, and all that.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I don't think they would make movies about the obscure, lesser known, versions. Remember, these movies are made for the general public. Most people have no idea who Val Zod or Calvin Ellis are. Now, if they were guest starring in one of the movies as examples of Supermen from other universes, that might be different. Then you could maybe do a spinoff movie. But I think in order to sell something like that to the public you need to have them appear elsewhere first and establish who they are. Sort of prep the audience for it. I think something like Kingdom Come would make a great live action movie. But how do you sell that to people who haven't read it or don't know what it is? And that's one of the easier obscure stories to sell.
    Assassinate Putin!

Nah, dude. The general audience doesn't need to be indoctrinated the same way we do. And a "Black Superman" film would get so much attention from the media, everyone would hear about the premise long before the film hit. And the multiverse isn't such a weird, far-out idea anymore. People are familiar with the concept and quite accustomed to dealing with it.

At best you'd need to make sure it was well known that you weren't doing a single universe like the Avengers, and Calvin Ellis isn't Clark Kent re-cast with a black actor playing the same role. And you can do that in a couple lines of dialogue in the trailer, and maybe a little visual aid, like a hologram of Cav-El and/or the "infinite earths hanging in space" image DC always uses for its multiverse. Sh*t, that image alone would fuel "Crisis" speculation for years.

EDIT: Hell, if I were in charge, that would (maybe) even be the first teaser trailer. Just the "infinite earths" image with maybe the faces of Reeves, Cavill, Welling, and other Super-actors shown quickly, with a voice over by Elba talking about the infinite multiverse and how anything is possible, with a cryptic hint about some great threat he must face soon, blah blah blah.....and the camera pulls back to reveal President Superman, by his desk in the Oval Office, holding the hologram. No footage from the actual film at all, just a PSA to let everyone know there's a President Superman out there in the multiverse, and he's getting a movie. That tells everyone what they need to know; multiverse, Superman, POTUS, and would be nebulous enough to really get the intrigue going.
    Last edited by Ascended; 09-14-2018 at 07:24 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I am expecting more crap in the future. I wasn't sold on Cavill like some were, I don't if that is because of Zack Snyder or what. Maybe he was robbed of the opportunity to the best live action Superman (at least since Reeve).

But I have no confidence DC will ever have the guts to do Superman justice, do him correctly. Sadly, Batman films will probably continue to dictate to WB how to handle Superman films.

I love Frank Miller, I think Frank Miller did a ingeniously clever take on Superman in DKR....and I was like the first person to denounce Zack's dark attempted-Milleresque/Nolanesque take on Superman.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Astonishing Member

Skip the movies and focus on building up Supes on the smaller screen. No more compromised tellings of Superman's stories via low budget flavor of the moment venues like L&C or Smallville. I don't want to watch Superman's mythos crammed into a teen drama or romantic sitcom. Make uncompromising shows that are specifically about giving an undiluted exposure to the Superman story and don't back down. They way WB has built Superman up through the 90's-2000's has been laughable where despite vast exposure they've slowly whittle the character down to nothing slowly polluting his image. The magic that makes the character great has been lost in the modern era and needs to be reclaimed in the best possible venue through animated series.

For now you've got Wonder Woman as a success with Aquaman and Shazam on the horizon. Work with what you've got.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

I'd love Superman on the small screen. But only if it were independent of any of the CW's verses. CW is just too teeny bopper to me and not what I'm looking for. But I'm doubting it all together anyway. More than likely we'd get another dumb prequel-like project like the Metropolis one before they gave Superman the time of day.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Metropolis would be good if they just copied the Gotham Central premise. The focus is on the cops operating in a world of heroes and villains. Superman is active but he only shows up sporadically. I’d make Maggie Sawyer and Dan Turpin the main characters.

Master Hero Vladimir

Can't we just have another Superman-starred animated series? It's been years since Superman: The Animated Series went off the air, but I think they can pull it off, especially if they draw from the Rebirth comics.

Quote Originally Posted by HeroVladimir93 View Post
    Can't we just have another Superman-starred animated series? It's been years since Superman: The Animated Series went off the air, but I think they can pull it off, especially if they draw from the Rebirth comics.
    They should draw from Morrison’s Action Comics run imo. But the answer is no. Unless DC decides to make one to give DC Universe some more content, we’re not getting a new cartoon. Not even Batman gets cartoons these days. There aren’t really that many action cartoons even still airing.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Morrison's Action Comics adapted as a film without the giant dependence on CGI and instead a really nice, healthy dose of practical effects. Keep the budget tight so profits can be higher. Something weirder than the usual Marvel fare. The Collector of Worlds could be so bizarre and interesting, built up to in a creepy Lovecraftian crawl. Let the space oddities increase and increase. Use Metallo as the first villian, build up Lex. Shift Lex more and more into focus in the sequels. The corporate billionaire conspiracy to have Superman whacked, going beyond even Lex Luthor's Machiavellian schemes.

Ah, a man can dream.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 09-16-2018 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Okay, admittedly, Cavill leaving hasn't been confirmed yet. But it definitely is a possibility. So if he does indeed leave and the Big Blue gets another reboot (or soft reboot or revamp or whatever), what are you hoping to see in the next Superman movie or movies.

In terms of new actors, I'm actually kinda hoping they skew young with Superman. Maybe someone in the 25-30 range. There have been plenty of origin stories for Superman on-screen but we've never actually seen a visibly 'young' Superman other than Brandon Routh (and he was supposed to be playing the experienced Reeves version). I'm hoping for an actor who could embody the New 52 Superman from Morrison's run, or the Superman from Earth One or American Alien.

Granted, they may not be able to go with a Superman that young if they intend for the new version of Superman to co-exist with the Supergirl (and chances are the Supergirl movie will be out before the next Superman one). Though I'm kinda hoping that the next Superman movie will be an 'early years' film ala Matt Reeves' Batman film, from what we've heard of it.
    Maybe they could do a movie version of Smallville. Where Clark doesn't fly or put on the cape until the final scene. It would save money on special effects.

Just kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    That was a time when WB had only 2 options: doing movies about Superman or Batman. Now they've more options to choose from than just alternating movies about these 2 characters. Supes could be shelved indefinitely.
    Not entirely true. In between Superman: The Movie and Batman v Superman we had Green Lantern, Jonah Hex, Red and Red 2, The Losers, Watchmen, V for Vendetta, Constantine, Catwoman, Steel, and Supergirl.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    They'd have to restart a whole new universe. Which I can get behind never having been a fan of the DCEU. Hopefully this one would be a little more upbeat with Jonathon Kent actually encouraging his son to help people instead of just letting a bus full of kids die. There's also the question of time frame. With the other movies still in the works, how long would they have to wait to start another universe? Five years? Three? MOS came out literally a year after the last Nolan Batman movie so it's not like DC has a history of waiting.
    I don't think the whole universe needs restarted. There is nothing in Aquaman, Shazam, Batgirl, Birds of Prey, Wonder Woman 1984, Suicide Squad 2 that requires Henry Cavill's Superman. And if Supergirl is set in the 1970s
    even that doesn't require his Superman. Basically any movie that doesn't need Superman in it is just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Skip the movies and focus on building up Supes on the smaller screen. No more compromised tellings of Superman's stories via low budget flavor of the moment venues like L&C or Smallville. I don't want to watch Superman's mythos crammed into a teen drama or romantic sitcom. Make uncompromising shows that are specifically about giving an undiluted exposure to the Superman story and don't back down. They way WB has built Superman up through the 90's-2000's has been laughable where despite vast exposure they've slowly whittle the character down to nothing slowly polluting his image. The magic that makes the character great has been lost in the modern era and needs to be reclaimed in the best possible venue through animated series.

For now you've got Wonder Woman as a success with Aquaman and Shazam on the horizon. Work with what you've got.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I'd love Superman on the small screen. But only if it were independent of any of the CW's verses. CW is just too teeny bopper to me and not what I'm looking for. But I'm doubting it all together anyway. More than likely we'd get another dumb prequel-like project like the Metropolis one before they gave Superman the time of day.
    DC's streaming service should create a live action Superman series. I think it would get a lot more people to subscribe than that cluster-storm of a Titans series seems to be.