Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Now that this run is about to end, I have a few words to say about it.

Nothing that was done that hasn't already been done and Guggenheim did it worse. Rachel as a hound? Done to death. Mutant imprisonment? Pick a number, preferable 811, the Earth Rachel is from where mutant imprisonment is a standard. Attempted genocide? I assume the X-Men have a drinking game dedicated to this plot.

This run made me question whether the glory days of X-Men were really that great. Honestly, I commend Guggenheim for one thing: he didn't do an apocalyptic future plot ... which Extermination decided to do.

This book and many others since House of M have been reinforcing a position a I saw on Tv Tropes

Quote Originally Posted by TvTropes
    And then my final point has nothing to do with metaphors. DIAL BACK ON YOUR DARKNESS ALREADY!

Seriously, between 2005 and 2018, we've had multiple extinction and genocide plot threads. Let. Them. Die. Already. It makes us, the reader, feel like we need to reach for a bottle of wine. That's not getting into the stupid Bad Future plots that keep coming up. Seriously, Days of Future Past was two issues long. Stop trying to do more of these. I've personally had it with Here Comes Tomorrow, All-New X-Men, Age of Apocalypse technically, and Old Man Logan. At least when Thanos does it, we see it as a villain protagonist, so at least it's creative.

If someone told me that Gabby Kinney posting negatively about Fluttershy could create a Bad Future where bronies take over the world and lock up the mutants, then I'd probably believe it. Can we have a good future plot more often?

Spectacular Member

I am re-reading my collection at the moment starting with Scott Lobdell's work in the 90s and it is simply crazy how the quality of most of the X-books have changed over the years. It is really not a surprise that the medium is slowly dying...it is just not really fun anymore being and committing to this universe.

X-Men Red was a glimpse of hope but it already seems to ran its course. The main plot point is Jean Grey posing with her group of X-Men and giving a great catchphrase.

"Let's weaponize the truth!" Now strike a pose everbody!
    Last edited by Quentin; 09-13-2018 at 06:04 PM.

God damn it Rachel you burned the wrong outfit. You had 1 job Rachel. 1 job.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    God damn it Rachel you burned the wrong outfit. You had 1 job Rachel. 1 job.
    hahahahaha!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    Now that this run is about to end, I have a few words to say about it.

Nothing that was done that hasn't already been done and Guggenheim did it worse. Rachel as a hound? Done to death. Mutant imprisonment? Pick a number, preferable 811, the Earth Rachel is from where mutant imprisonment is a standard. Attempted genocide? I assume the X-Men have a drinking game dedicated to this plot.

This run made me question whether the glory days of X-Men were really that great. Honestly, I commend Guggenheim for one thing: he didn't do an apocalyptic future plot ... which Extermination decided to do.

This book and many others since House of M have been reinforcing a position a I saw on Tv Tropes
    When Tom Taylor did a good future plot with Laura and Gabby, it was panned for being too bright of a future.

X-fans don't know what they want. We are the biggest group of casual/bandwagon fans on comic-dom

Guggenheim was average. Nothing he wrote was offensive. Nothing great, nothing bad. Just middle of the road. The blinders are pulsating so fast though that is he did write one full 36 issue epic, we wouldn't appreciate it until 10 years from now.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by JmH Reborn View Post
    When Tom Taylor did a good future plot with Laura and Gabby, it was panned for being too bright of a future.
    I enjoyed that arc because after seeing apocalypse after apocalypse after Apocalypse, it was finally good to see some happiness.

Quote Originally Posted by JmH Reborn View Post
    X-fans don't know what they want. We are the biggest group of casual/bandwagon fans on comic-dom

Guggenheim was average. Nothing he wrote was offensive. Nothing great, nothing bad. Just middle of the road. The blinders are pulsating so fast though that is he did write one full 36 issue epic, we wouldn't appreciate it until 10 years from now.
    The problem is that Guggenheim was average. His plots are so cookie-cutter that it annoyed me. When you clearly have a progression of time, repeating the same plot points just comes off as absurd and annoying.

Spectacular Member

X-fans know exactly what they want. If a comic author is writing mediocre storyline nobody is here for, they will tell. If the quality of a book is great, they will praise your work. There was so much love after the first issues of X-Men Red here in this forum. Why? Because it was a damn good comic book!

Best example is Cullen Bunn. When he was good, he got praised over the moon. When he was crap, he got trashed and he deserved it.

I never heard an X-Men fan say: We want everything again what Chris Claremont has already done, but this time make it a mediocre copy of some exciting plots we have read way better 500 times before.
    Last edited by Quentin; 09-13-2018 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    I enjoyed that arc because after seeing apocalypse after apocalypse after Apocalypse, it was finally good to see some happiness.

The problem is that Guggenheim was average. His plots are so cookie-cutter that it annoyed me. When you clearly have a progression of time, repeating the same plot points just comes off as absurd and annoying.
    Average is too kind on guggemheim run

Wow, Kitty is even more self-absorbed than I thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

BANNED

Last issue ? Then why create another omega level new Mutant that will not be resolved ?

Kitty still loves Colossus, it hurts her too but not as much as Colossus. I think this is an implicit hint on editorial intervention (and those nasty fans) who broke two loving couple apart.

Kitty's change into Dark Hound wasn't because of Mesmero , it was because Ahab was near as we saw in Xtermination. But I prefer the Dark Hound costume than the Prestige costume.

This last issue seems better than the last three BORING Storm issues #33-#35. Let's hope the rest of the issue stays interesting.

Guys, please no more Gugg bashing!
    Last edited by jalsrix; 09-13-2018 at 10:26 PM.

Ill miss this book! It’s unfairly hated on this site but what can you do...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post
    Ill miss this book! It’s unfairly hated on this site but what can you do...
    I agree. There are worse comics out there but we see these bashers praising them like Return of Prof X, Return of Jean Grey.

Extermination is great so far.
    Last edited by jalsrix; 09-13-2018 at 10:29 PM.

Ultimate Member

Part of the thing with Kitty is that she's seemingly trying to cast herself as the victim in all of that wedding stuff when it's really all her fault...and it'll take years for Kitty to not be hated by many fans...I just wonder how it'll happen when she's finally replaced, just hope that they don't have characters go on and on thanking her for everything and such...

BANNED

Kitty saying it's unfair that Colossus doesn't want to talk to her is her peak as a character. I'm really hoping this is her end as headmistress and Ororo or Jean take over. Jean more than Storm, naturally.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    Kitty saying it's unfair that Colossus doesn't want to talk to her is her peak as a character. I'm really hoping this is her end as headmistress and Ororo or Jean take over. Jean more than Storm, naturally.
    Jean and Storm should take over as a team and also invite Emma Frost to the party.