Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    It's cropped again in Disassembled. Let's not pretend this is anything other than artists just doing whatever.

(obviously something that could've been wholly averted if Marvel wasn't sticking to their anti-Semitic design even though almost ever other Syaf design has been dumped)
    That's probably Disassembled's artist using the original X-Men Gold style sheet instead of looking at recent issues. Teen Jean Grey had the same problem with inconsistent hairstyles, and so does Unstoppable Wasp (both are supposed to have bobs and bangs, but have been shown with a very visible nape sometimes).

You say every other Syaf design has been dumped? Not true. Rachel's back in the costume he designed for her.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I've enjoyed many parts of X-men Gold. I really like how it started and how it rebuilt the X-men. But ever since the botched wedding between Kitty and Colossus, I feel as though Kitty Pryde has taken too many hits as a character. The way she just broke Colossus' heart, after being the one to propose in the first place, makes her seem downright cruel. This preview gives the impression that she doesn't have any rhyme or reason to her emotions. She just acts, regrets, and acts again without learning. It's just hard to really respect her now. It's even harder to respect her leadership after what she's done. But I don't think her character is irreparable. I do think that this is a good time for X-men Gold to end, though.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    That mask (?) makes Rachel look like she has an unibrow. Bring the hound marks back tbh.
    Read Extermination. lol

Quote Originally Posted by JmH Reborn View Post
    When Tom Taylor did a good future plot with Laura and Gabby, it was panned for being too bright of a future.

X-fans don't know what they want. We are the biggest group of casual/bandwagon fans on comic-dom

Guggenheim was average. Nothing he wrote was offensive. Nothing great, nothing bad. Just middle of the road. The blinders are pulsating so fast though that is he did write one full 36 issue epic, we wouldn't appreciate it until 10 years from now.
    I've always found that an odd critique. We aren't a hive mind. It would be strange and creepy if we had identical reactions to the same book. So, yeah, some people love certain developments; others hate them; there is debate around them.

For the most part, though, the majority of fans appreciate good stories that are told well in ways that showcase characters to whom they are attached.

The stories were warmed-up Claremontian leftovers. There was nothing new or fresh or fun about them. They had nothing important or interesting to say. They felt like they were put out because, well, X-Men Gold had to put out every two weeks.

As to the characters, well ... the most prominent characters in Guggs' run have been Kitty, Storm, and Rachel. Has he done any of them justice? Not really, from my perspective. Kitty was thoroughly unlikable (and not in an interesting, unlikable woman way). Storm was reduced to her hammer a lot of the time. Rachel was regressed and jobbed out to Mesmero.

So, my questions to people who liked the run would be: 1) What was the purpose or message of Guggs' run to you?, and 2) What solid character work did you see?

I'm really looking forward to this issue. Actually AFTER this issue. I know it's hypocritical. Unfair...strange...weird...inconsistent even, but I have complained about the series mostly and still stuck with it. I think Kitty saying this probably describes about 90% of the readers still buying the issue. We want to call it off but we still need to hear your voice. That is following the characters. Guggs voice for these characters can GTFO. I look forward to better things in 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Wow, Kitty is even more self-absorbed than I thought.
    At this point I honestly question if Guugs is self-aware of just how unlikable he’s made Kitty in this run or if he really believes his own hype for Kitty because there was clearly a point he could have given Kitty some humility from her time as leader and it just never happened. I could sum up his Kitty writing with this:

I will say this for Gold: the art has been great throughout pretty much all of the book. My biggest issue with the book was how some of the characters were treated and how Guggs made Kitty completely unlikable (probably in an attempt to write her as a strong leader?) I really don't get why they didn't bring in a new writer halfway through the book. I'm curious to see what will happen with Kitty now. I wonder if Uncanny will have her play a minor role or if her characterization will be completely different.
    And I really don't get this last cover...we know they're not killing off these characters so why the tombstones?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I will say this for Gold: the art has been great throughout pretty much all of the book. My biggest issue with the book was how some of the characters were treated and how Guggs made Kitty completely unlikable (probably in an attempt to write her as a strong leader?) I really don't get why they didn't bring in a new writer halfway through the book. I'm curious to see what will happen with Kitty now. I wonder if Uncanny will have her play a minor role or if her characterization will be completely different.
    And I really don't get this last cover...we know they're not killing off these characters so why the tombstones?
    Rosenberg and Thompson have really indulged writing Kitty as an antagonist and and an obstacle so I doubt anything is changing.

BANNED

This page wasn't posted:

Oh Storm shut up. You do realize you did nothing WITH the Hammer you couldn’t ALREADY DO with your own tremendous power. And Kitty please go away...... does the entire team need to feel sorry for your blunder head mistake??? Thank God this is Done.

Rosenberg and Thompson have really indulged writing Kitty as an antagonist and and an obstacle so I doubt anything is changing.
    But the difference is that it's done with the intention of other characters finding it annoying. Whenever Guggs does it, it is never written so other characters can call her out, the exact opposite tbh.

Astonishing Member

I really hope kitty is the fake mutant or dies she's been damaged to such a extent she needs some time in a space bullet till the Guggenheim goes away, he did to her what bendis did to danvers.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    But the difference is that it's done with the intention of other characters finding it annoying. Whenever Guggs does it, it is never written so other characters can call her out, the exact opposite tbh.
    Not sure if "she's written like **** on purpose" is a particularly good defense.

I was watching the second episode of the new season of Bojack. Without giving any spoilers, it deals with one of the characters putting a final end to a relationship, and clearly feeling conflicted over it and pain because of it. They recognize what they have lost, and yet also understand that it's their own fault they have lost it, and that complex dynamic is played out in a scene at the end of the episode. It is so well-written. It made me even more annoyed about this issue.

Thank god this mediocre run is over with.

Quote Originally Posted by stormphoenix View Post
    Oh Storm shut up. You do realize you did nothing WITH the Hammer you couldn’t ALREADY DO with your own tremendous power. And Kitty please go away...... does the entire team need to feel sorry for your blunder head mistake??? Thank God this is Done.
    Not true, there no way in hell she could have hung all those painting with just her mutant powers.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

BANNED

Anyway, I've made this prediction a couple months ago, but I expect the final page to be Kitty and Colossus getting back together with some speech narration which calls back to and is a reversal on the Whedon Astonishing ending.