Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I'm all for the return of Val, bring him on. Talk about wasted potential.

PS This thread titled raised my hopes only to dash them, oh well.....
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    As a big fan of Val Zod, I always saw Val Zod as the Miles Morales potential for the DC universe. He started off great under the original writer of Earth 2, Taylor, before getting massacred by the writer of World's End.

Yet the potential is there, and with Miles Morales being the second third minority superhero to be getting a solo movie from the Marvel Universe (Blade and Black Panther being the first 2), there's so many things that point to the possible potential IF DC actually tried and use it.

1) The Krypton TV Show. The krypton tv show highlights the Zod family being black, which falls right in line with the Earth 2 Universe where the Zod's were also black. The main difference of course is that the Earth 2 universe Zod's parents were pacifist, while the tv show definitely cater towards more towards the anti-hero, villain area. Still, television and movies normally play a major influence in comics (and vice versa) and with the positive reviews surrounding Krypton, it can definitely be used as a spring board for Val Zod himself.

2) Black Superman Tweet Turns Viral. Comic Book reported a tweet of a cosplay dressed up as superman that went completely viral.

https://comicbook.com/dc/2018/09/11/...l-photo-shoot/

13k retweets and 50k likes, there were tons of positive comments talking about how it was about time there was a black superman.
    And people get it. Heroes is in many ways about wish fulfillment. Superman represents among the very best of heroes, among the
    strongest, among the fastest, among the toughest, and strives to do the right thing always. Most of DC's/Marvel black heroes
    range between street level to mid tier, with the highest created from DC perhaps being John Stewart the green lantern. Val Zod
    allows a black hero to be at the upper echelon of strength and power, while his pacifistic nature shows a side that's rarely seen
    for black heroes in comics. (The only black hero I can think of like Val Zod is Gentle from Xmen). This is the perfect opportunity
    for DC to capture on what a market is clearly craving.

3) Michael B Jordan reported being considered for Superman.

With Henry C. possibly leaving the DCEU, rumors came quick of Michael B Jordan as well as the actor Ricky Whittle of possibly being Superman.
    This makes a lot of sense seeing as Michael B Jordan and the cast of Black Panther are considered golden at the moment, and the WB has already indicated they are really big on Michael B Jordan, even to the point of initiating the inclusion program. If we recall, the reason Miles Morales came to fruition is due
    to Glover wanting to be Spider Man and was denied. Bendis realized it was important to create a spider man so that others could feel like they too could become Spider Man, and from that came the biggest new hero created this century (Miles Morales). With many across the internet definitely looking for the idea of a black superman, the likelihood of Michael B Jordan being Kal El is limited (Possible but limited.) But it's this same behavior that sent Miles Morales to stardom, and it could be DC's chance to strike gold with Val Zod.

All together, these points clearly illustrate a desire to finally bring a black superman to the forefront, and DC already has the tools necessary with Val Zod.
    Combine that with Bendis working in DC, who was the primary architect responsible for creating two of the biggest new heroes in the Marvel Universe (Miles and Riri), literally all the cards are there for Val Zod to work.
    Thanks for sharing and for your enthusiastic embrace of my favorite other Superman.

We Val Zod fans need to stick together.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    Did Val-Zod ever get an Earth name? I imagine he couldn't get a job with a name like that.
    Considering he was trying to find an Earth that wasn't getting blown up or split open, I'm going to say it was lower on his list of priorities.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Considering he was trying to find an Earth that wasn't getting blown up or split open, I'm going to say it was lower on his list of priorities.
    How to make it in America I guess, huh?

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    How to make it in America I guess, huh?
    Respect the hustle.

I'm all for his return! I had hoped he would have been folded into the main earth somehow, but I'm glad he's getting some use.