Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Sony are such masters of self-sabotage it's actually incredible that they've managed such a good recent track record for exclusives from their own studios.
    To be fair a lot of that is due to the strong people in charge of studios and giving them time needed. They likely saw how Microsoft failed by rushing releases , closing studios and more. And decided ...if Days Gone needs 6-9 more months of work...damn it we give it that time.

But the main leadership of the company has always been a nightmare to deal with since they exploded into the film and game industries. In Hit & Run back in mid 90's when Sony bought Columbia they paid an insane amount for Columbia (way more than they should have) and paid for Peters & Guber on huge salaries they shouldn't have. They once instead of backing the winning home video format of the 1980's (VHS) decided to produce Betamax players. (that was a huge failure and they had a chance to do VHS but balked)

Its a company that stumbled onto Playstation when they watched Nintendo walk away from the deal. Its only the fact the people in charge was angry at Nintendo and an executive pushed them to produce the system , they may have never done it.

As me and a buddy joked , they don't care about scalpers or bots. They see the systems selling like crazy online. So they don't realize the backlash people are having.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    To be fair a lot of that is due to the strong people in charge of studios and giving them time needed. They likely saw how Microsoft failed by rushing releases , closing studios and more. And decided ...if Days Gone needs 6-9 more months of work...damn it we give it that time.

But the main leadership of the company has always been a nightmare to deal with since they exploded into the film and game industries. In Hit & Run back in mid 90's when Sony bought Columbia they paid an insane amount for Columbia (way more than they should have) and paid for Peters & Guber on huge salaries they shouldn't have. They once instead of backing the winning home video format of the 1980's (VHS) decided to produce Betamax players. (that was a huge failure and they had a chance to do VHS but balked)

Its a company that stumbled onto Playstation when they watched Nintendo walk away from the deal. Its only the fact the people in charge was angry at Nintendo and an executive pushed them to produce the system , they may have never done it.

As me and a buddy joked , they don't care about scalpers or bots. They see the systems selling like crazy online. So they don't realize the backlash people are having.
    Yeah, any sane company would be looking at people willing to pay $1000 for a launch console and thinking how to take that money themselves. Maybe monogram engraved cases, a plastic special edition statuette, or something stupid like that. Instead they let scalpers drive the narrative of them being the corporation that ruined Christmas for all the little kiddies who didn’t get their Fortnite player.

Groups are now bragging how they have gotten thousands of systems using bots.

https://www.businessinsider.com/play...C-7WwCUQ9gnwhE
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

I've seen this on Twitter a bit, scalpers flexing like they've done something impressive or admirable. At the end of the day Sony doesn't give two shits who buys the system as long as it's sold.
    Somewhere, a nerd cries. I feel nothing.

y'all remember the days of those old PS1 demo discs?

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MacrossPlus View Post
    y'all remember the days of those old PS1 demo discs?
    With controllable T-Rexes and Jellyfish? Yep. I feel like even demos full stop are a niche concept these days.

EDIT: Found a video with the contents of the famed 'Demo 1'. Ah, the feels!

Last edited by Derek Metaltron; 11-22-2020 at 03:42 PM.

The Official U.S. Playstation magazine Demo Discs were the best

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post

It would be hilarious if this blew up in Sony's face.

It's not like our PS4s don't work perfectly fine. If people have to wait a year to get a PS5, they may find another use for those 5 bills in the meantime.

I'm the opposite of an early adopter so this doesn't really affect me personally but designing a system that deliberately abuses your early adopters is asking for it bigtime.

They could find themselves in a position where when the systems finally come to brick and mortar retail the audience is like, "Nah, I'm good".

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post

It's not like our PS4s don't work perfectly fine. If people have to wait a year to get a PS5, they may find another use for those 5 bills in the meantime.

I'm the opposite of an early adopter so this doesn't really affect me personally but designing a system that deliberately abuses your early adopters is asking for it bigtime.

They could find themselves in a position where when the systems finally come to brick and mortar retail the audience is like, "Nah, I'm good".
    This very well could happen. A lot of their PS5 titles are due to release on PS4 for a year or 2 . So its not like people need the PS5 right now. The stench of scalpers and more irked may never update. This has seemingly blew up in their faces.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post

Anyone with the means to get a PS5 should get one as it truly is better than the PS4. Sure many games are cross-generational but the PS5 is worth the upgrade. Ive played the PS4 version of Miles Morales and Spiderman and compared that to the PS5 Miles and the PS5 looks significantly better than both, not to mention runs better and loads faster. Its hard to go back to the PS4 after messing with the PS5 for a while. Of course if you never have, then you dont know what you are missing. Even the controller feels like an upgrade with the DS4 feeling lesser in comparison

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

I think because of the fact that it’s backwards compatible and will be getting a decent PS4 collection via PS Plus, plus with Horizon 2 out next year, I will be getting it a year earlier than I would typically do. Plus there’s games out now that I will just wait until the PS5 edition is released. I will likely also be a lot more selective with the games now that the prices are higher and I have less time to play everything in general.

Honestly, at this point there is no game i really, really want to buy yet on PS5 so i can wait. Plus, you know the old wisdom, don't buy from the first batch of a new machine.

But i will buy one for sure. I'm kinda of a Sony guy.

Wish they would make them less ugly though. I mean, save for the first one the playstations have kinda of an ugly design imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Honestly, at this point there is no game i really, really want to buy yet on PS5 so i can wait. Plus, you know the old wisdom, don't buy from the first batch of a new machine.

But i will buy one for sure. I'm kinda of a Sony guy.

Wish they would make them less ugly though. I mean, save for the first one the playstations have kinda of an ugly design imo.
    You thought the PS4 was ugly? I thought that was their sleekest design right out the gate, especially with it being as small as it was. I will say the look of the PS5 has grown on me bt the thing is massive and I dont think I'll ever get used to it as its an eye sore. I am interested in seeing what it will look like when the slim version comes out years from now

Ps4 wasn't that bad true enough, the worst offender are the ps2, 3 and 5.