Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default I think we need a thread praising Cullen Bunn for all he’s done with the X Men!

I see on twitter he’s had a tough year and it makes me sad! I have loved almost everything he has brought to the X Men since his Magneto solo. Yeah I didn’t like the Eye Boy Venomized thing but everything else he’s done the last handful of years has been great! I want to thank him for what he’s done for Magneto! Making me root for him as a character! Bringing the creation of Briar to life.

I love all the writers on Uncanny X Men coming up! A brilliant team of Thompson, Brisson, and Rosenberg! But I’ll really miss everything Bunn brought to the table!

Cheers to Bunn!

Spectacular Member

I don't do that Twitter cesspool -- what's been going on with Bunn

X:Blue 35 makes me really upset that he's not on Uncanny X-Men. Was a fantastic issue

Quote Originally Posted by JmH Reborn View Post

X:Blue 35 makes me really upset that he's not on Uncanny X-Men. Was a fantastic issue
    https://twitter.com/cullenbunn/statu...273511937?s=21

He’s mentioned almost quitting comics the last 10 months. He said the last few months have been especially rough.

I like Bunn a lot. I don’t think I’ll ever understand airing ones issues out on social media though.

That being said, I’m sure it’s very anxiety inducing to not know for sure that you’ll be invited back to write for a company. I mean for years he was writing for marvel then suddenly he wasn’t renewed. Job uncertainty is a big source of anxiety. I can’t imagine what it’s like to be working hard for a company and every few years you just may or may not get invited back.

This is just me speculating baselessly but I can’t help but wonder if marvel snubbed him because he went on record numerous times saying he didn’t want to write xmen blue (or the cast anyway) but he did it because it’s all that was offered to him. Regardless of how valid the opinion is, I can’t help but wonder if the powers that be found it offensive.

Regardless, I will be sorry to see him go. Thanks for the enjoyment mr Bunn and I hope the closing door leads to an even better open one.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

He killed Eye Boy tho!

Tbh I wish he stayed on Magneto. It was so great until Secret Wars. :/

What exactly has he done? What has he contributed to the mythos? Incredibly overrated imo.

Spectacular Member

I really enjoyed what he has done with Magneto. But I never thought his X-Men runs were particularly exciting. He is a clear fanboy writer who knows the lore inside and out. That's good, for sure. But I cannot celebrate a writer for his utterly boring work with the O5. I understand they were forced onto him (quite similarly how editors forced them onto us fans without anybody ever asking for these dull O5)...but the result was still boring and a waste of money.

I'm sorry that he is going through a rough patch. His work showed this.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

His O5 run was better than Hopeless' though. He might still lose to Bendis (at least for me) due to Battle of the Atom and the Guardians of the Galaxy crossovers.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidMunroe View Post
    What exactly has he done? What has he contributed to the mythos? Incredibly overrated imo.
    Some people just really like him and his work. That’s really all that’s neede to appreciate him.

But to answe your question, I feel like Bunn was constantly on clean up duty- trying to wrap up dangling plot threads from previous writers. I’d argue that doing this makes it harder for you to create a 100% unique legacy. While not as exciting, I think doing this is commendable.

Not perfect or maybe not even amazing but because of this I respected his run.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    His O5 run was better than Hopeless' though. He might still lose to Bendis (at least for me) due to Battle of the Atom and the Guardians of the Galaxy crossovers.
    Hopeless' run was just so bad that being better than that is barely an accomplishment. But I liked Blue, and I thought the O5 by Bunn had much better characterization than with Bendis, though Bendis had more exciting ideas.

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

I really enjoyed Bunn's work on the line overall, but, at least when it came to his team books, it never really felt like we were getting his vision. It always felt like we were getting his version of whatever editorial forced on him, and I think it shows his skill as a writer that the books ended up as good as they did in that regard.

There were times that his vision shined through in his Uncanny (Sabretooth and Monet's dynamic and the reintroduction [and proper implementation] of Xorn) Blue (mostly in the Mothervine arc, which was great), to say nothing of the Magneto through-line that ran through all his X-work, but it always felt held back by the latest editorial mandate (the terrigen mists, the O5, the Mojo crossover, Secret Empire, Extermination, the list goes on).

While I'll miss him on the X-Books, I'll always look at his run as a bit of a missed opportunity. Either way, I'm gonna follow him to Asgardians of the Galaxy.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

I've been enjoying his run on Blue but for me his biggest contribution to Marvel was with his work on Deadpool

I feel like it's up to Marvel to create a social media policy and include that in writer's contract if writers airing things out on social media is an issue.

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    His O5 run was better than Hopeless' though.
    My vasectomy was better than Hopeless's All-New X-Men run. Such a disappointment after his genuinely fun Cable and X-Force and Secret Wars: Inferno series.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    But I liked Blue, and I thought the O5 by Bunn had much better characterization than with Bendis, though Bendis had more exciting ideas.
    Agreed.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Robards, Comic Fan View Post
    I really enjoyed Bunn's work on the line overall, but, at least when it came to his team books, it never really felt like we were getting his vision. It always felt like we were getting his version of whatever editorial forced on him, and I think it shows his skill as a writer that the books ended up as good as they did in that regard.

There were times that his vision shined through in his Uncanny (Sabretooth and Monet's dynamic and the reintroduction [and proper implementation] of Xorn) Blue (mostly in the Mothervine arc, which was great), to say nothing of the Magneto through-line that ran through all his X-work, but it always felt held back by the latest editorial mandate (the terrigen mists, the O5, the Mojo crossover, Secret Empire, Extermination, the list goes on).

While I'll miss him on the X-Books, I'll always look at his run as a bit of a missed opportunity. Either way, I'm gonna follow him to Asgardians of the Galaxy.
    Agreed. I think Bunn is a good writer who does show respect for continuity while trying to expand on characters. As mentioned, he tries to do clean-up duty on some characters -like with Psylocke stabilizing Mystique. But editorial keeping him on a tight leash before cancelling his run & throwing something else to him just ruined everything. And it doesn't help that almost everything from his Uncanny run was either ignored or reset / regressed in some way by new writers.

He got the short end of the stick these last few years. And sadly for fans who enjoyed his work, we did too.

As a Creed fan, I LOVED his work on the character. But he got stripped from Bunn and thrown to Pak who takes every bad thing done to his character over the last 15 years & does all of it in one series. While pretty much regressing all of Bunn's previous character work. That still has me salty as heck. lol
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 09-14-2018 at 07:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JmH Reborn View Post

Seems like if you don't **** with twitter your missing out on a whole bunch at times, but like you I don't mess with it.

Also agree that Bunn is a good writer and hope he still does something after Blue is done. He did great work on Elixir's development as an omega level mutant.
    Last edited by FIGHT; 09-14-2018 at 07:28 AM.