Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

Default Black Adam vs Shazam/Captain Marvel

There’s one piece that I can’t find consistent answers on.

What exactly is Black Adam’s opinion about Billy? I’ve found a lot off answers. Does he personally hate him (Return of Black Adam movie)? Does he resent that he was replaced, but hold no personal beef with Billy (looks like the golden age)? Is there some attempt to bring him to his side (his treatment of Mary in Countdown seems to suggest that)? Does he want Billy’s power and is willing to kill him for it, but doesn’t personally hate him (New 52)?

What do you think is the best position?

I know Billy’s is less varied. It’s either a typical hero-villain set up, or he kind of has respect/pity (New 52).

He sees himself as the chosen champion. and hero.
    Yet once given that power (and responsibility that came with it) , could never let go of it, would never turn back into his suposedly "weak" de-powered form, or worse never "share" the power with what he saw as lesser beings.
    In the end that was his undoing, and why the wizard turned against him.

In looking for a new champion, the wizard found the one kid who given all the great power, would still turn back into a boy, (even one with all his problems in a world that hurt him and robed him of everything he loved).
    And the first meaningful thing he does with the power is share it. (that cuts to the core of the character and difference)
    How many kids given power would instinctually do that?
    This sharing of the power defied all the Wizard's expectations of modern humanity, and revealed why Billy represented the true champion.

Adam has no trust or faith in self-serving, selfish, cruel humanity (who also betrayed him), and sees them as unfit to rule themselves, hence he sees himself as their ultimate ruler above them. He perceives that trust or faith in others, as a flaw or weakness in Billy, and a waste of the power.

There is more to it, and plenty of room for more interpretation, but at least somewhat in it's simplest form, how I understand the main difference.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarriorWolf View Post
    There’s one piece that I can’t find consistent answers on.

What exactly is Black Adam’s opinion about Billy?
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-14-2018 at 07:01 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    He sees himself as the chosen champion. and hero.
    Yet once given that power (and responsibility that came with it) , could never let go of it, would never turn back into his suposedly "weak" de-powered form, or worse never "share" the power with what he saw as lesser beings.
    In the end that was his undoing, and why the wizard turned against him.

In looking for a new champion, the wizard found the one kid who given all the great power, would still turn back into a boy, (even one with all his problems in a world that hurt him and robed him of everything he loved).
    And the first meaningful thing he does with the power is share it. (that cuts to the core of the character and difference)
    How many kids given power would instinctually do that?
    This sharing of the power defied all the Wizard's expectations of modern humanity, and revealed why Billy represented the true champion.

Adam has no trust or faith in self-serving, selfish, cruel humanity (who also betrayed him), and sees them as unfit to rule themselves, hence he sees himself as their ultimate ruler above them. He perceives that trust or faith in others, as a flaw or weakness in Billy, and a waste of the power.

There is more to it, and plenty of room for more interpretation, but at least somewhat in it's simplest form, how I understand the main difference.
    This is a great analysis.