Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    It had Prince music. That was cool.
    Yeah that was a good move.

I also think Burton's Gotham City is the best onscreen version we've got.

As far as the mythos goes, it does get a lot wrong. But purely as film entertainment, I like them. I'd put Burton's films behind Nolan's but before Forever and B&R.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Shady View Post
    Yeah that was a good move.

I also think Burton's Gotham City is the best onscreen version we've got.

As far as the mythos goes, it does get a lot wrong. But purely as film entertainment, I like them. I'd put Burton's films behind Nolan's but before Forever and B&R.
    For me I just put The Dark Knight ahead of this one. Dark Knight just operates on a different level not only from the other Batman films, but comic book films in general. I like Batman Begins and, to a lesser extent, The Dark Knight Rises but neither of them are as fun as this film or as thought provoking as The Dark Knight imo.
    Last edited by Batfan Beyond; 02-11-2019 at 05:41 AM.

Fantastic Member Spencermalley935's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Batfan Beyond View Post
    For me I just put The Dark Knight ahead of this one. Dark Knight just operates on a different level not only from the other Batman films, but comic book films in general. I like Batman Begins and, to a lesser extent, The Dark Knight Rises but neither of them are as fun as this film or as thought provoking as The Dark Knight imo.
    To me Batman Begins alone blows the 89 movie out of the water easily, especially in terms of characters and plot.

Quote Originally Posted by Spencermalley935 View Post
    To me Batman Begins alone blows the 89 movie out of the water easily, especially in terms of characters and plot.
    Begins is my favorite of the Nolan films.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Amazing Member

I can't go that far even though I like Begins quite a bit. For me it's just an uneven film, and the pre-Batman section of it is a stronger movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Batfan Beyond View Post
    I can't go that far even though I like Begins quite a bit. For me it's just an uneven film, and the pre-Batman section of it is a stronger movie.
    I don't think Begins is an uneven movie at all, It's the first live-action Batman movie where Batman himself has actual focus and character development and where Commissioner Gordon has a personality and a relevant role in the story. Neither of which are in the 89 movie.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Begins is my favorite of the Nolan films.
    Don't tell anyone...but I also like Begins more than The Dark Knight *gasp*

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

'89 Batman is the first Super Hero movie I ever saw in theaters (technically the drive-in but it counts). It's also the movie that sprung me into comic books, so I definitely have a love for it that probably is more than it deserves.

I disagree it's a bad Batman film, however. From an adaption standpoint, it's pretty true to the comics, the performances were top notch, and it was one of the first movies I remember that was a major event (if you weren't around during the '89 summer to experience it, you really missed out). It's far from perfect but without it we never would have gotten Batman: The Animated Series, and I think it really helped catapult Batman into the public consciousness in a way he hadn't experienced since the 60's show, but in a much more faithful manner.

Amazing Member

I don't think Begins is an uneven movie at all, It's the first live-action Batman movie where Batman himself has actual focus and character development and where Commissioner Gordon has a personality and a relevant role in the story. Neither of which are in the 89 movie.
    A very apples and oranges comparison for me man. Nolan takes his inspiration from the Bronze Age, whereas Burton was guided to use the Golden Age. In the Golden Age Gordon isn't that big of character. He has no personality. Dare I say he has more of a personality in the 89 film than in the early comics. However, the Batman/Gordon relationship in the Nolan trilogy is one of my favorite aspects of those films, and I absolutely love Oldman in the role of Gordon.

As far as Batman is concerned different strokes for different folks. Burton set out to make Batman a mysterious figure whereas the whole point of Batman Begins is to learn everything there is to know about Bruce Wayne/ Batman. Personally, I think the character is more effective with a bit of mystique to him. Also, for me the 89 Batman just nails the duality of Batman/Bruce Wayne. In that film Batman truly feels like a separate entity from Bruce Wayne, and that's an approach I haven't seen any actor pull off since Keaton. I don't want anyone to think that means that I don't like Bale, or Nolan's films at all. I think The Dark Knight is a masterpiece and one one of my all time favorite films. It's just that the 89 film, and Dark Knight just appeal to me more than the other Batman films for one reason or another.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    '89 Batman is the first Super Hero movie I ever saw in theaters (technically the drive-in but it counts). It's also the movie that sprung me into comic books, so I definitely have a love for it that probably is more than it deserves.

I disagree it's a bad Batman film, however. From an adaption standpoint, it's pretty true to the comics, the performances were top notch, and it was one of the first movies I remember that was a major event (if you weren't around during the '89 summer to experience it, you really missed out). It's far from perfect but without it we never would have gotten Batman: The Animated Series, and I think it really helped catapult Batman into the public consciousness in a way he hadn't experienced since the 60's show, but in a much more faithful manner.
    I wish I could've been around to experience the hype.

Incredible Member blunt_eastwood's Avatar

I've said this before and have been saying it for years. Batman is a really well made movie, but as a Batman movie it's mostly a failure.

A very apples and oranges comparison for me man. Nolan takes his inspiration from the Bronze Age, whereas Burton was guided to use the Golden Age. In the Golden Age Gordon isn't that big of character. He has no personality. Dare I say he has more of a personality in the 89 film than in the early comics. However, the Batman/Gordon relationship in the Nolan trilogy is one of my favorite aspects of those films, and I absolutely love Oldman in the role of Gordon.
    The Bronze Age existed when the 89 movie came out so why was Burton directed to use a more specific era of Batman comics when a more important era existed. It's all a moot point anyway because Burton has said as a point of pride that he has never read a comic book in his life.

As far as Batman is concerned different strokes for different folks. Burton set out to make Batman a mysterious figure whereas the whole point of Batman Begins is to learn everything there is to know about Bruce Wayne/ Batman. Personally, I think the character is more effective with a bit of mystique to him. Also, for me the 89 Batman just nails the duality of Batman/Bruce Wayne. In that film Batman truly feels like a separate entity from Bruce Wayne, and that's an approach I haven't seen any actor pull off since Keaton. I don't want anyone to think that means that I don't like Bale, or Nolan's films at all. I think The Dark Knight is a masterpiece and one one of my all time favorite films. It's just that the 89 film, and Dark Knight just appeal to me more than the other Batman films for one reason or another
    It's one thing to add mystique to a character, It's another to relegate him to the background and make the movie entirely about the Joker. I think that's a tie-breaker for me. Batman 89 is not about Batman (I don't even think the Parent's death flashback would've been there if it hadn't featured the Joker) while Batman Begins is about Batman from beginning to end. Begins was also the first movie to nail the character of Bruce Wayne and how he's supposed to act in public which was an area Keaton was lacking in.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    Don't tell anyone...but I also like Begins more than The Dark Knight *gasp*
    Same. But I also like Rises better than Begins. What a weirdo!
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Incredible Member blunt_eastwood's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Burn this man!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    I think Rises mainly gets a bad rep because because it deviates from the notion of Bruce waging a never-ending war on crime (which was never how the Nolan movies were set up).

Take that out of the equation and it's not a bad movie in any way. Quite the opposite honestly.