Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 39 of 39
  1. #31
    Spectacular Member Spencermalley935's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Ok three things:

    1) Not doing Batman's origin in '89 was brilliant.
    2) Who cares about Bruce Wayne's "story arc"? Its a Batman movie.
    3) Burton, Nicholson and Keaton justified the means

    Batman '89 is a great movie that deserves all the respect and accolades it routinely gets from longtime fans. The author of the video is just an idiot trying to get views. But kudos, I guess, because I watched most of his video.
    1) He at no point in the video complains about it not being an Origin for the character of Batman, His issue is the lack of development for Batman or the Joker
    2) You realized you just contradicted yourself right? Isn't the movie called Batman not Joker?.
    3) What does that even mean and how does that disprove any of the points brought up in that video?

  2. #32
    Astonishing Member Jokerz79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    4,339

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spencermalley935 View Post
    Bruce doesn't actually like being Batman, He doesn't derive any joy or satisfaction from it. He's Batman because he feels obligated to be as such and to honor the memory of his parents by fighting for a better world, one that won't need a Batman anymore. With that in mind, I don't see what the big deal is in having him desire a life beyond fighting crime. He obviously won't ever achieve it because of the nature of comics as a medium but that doesn't necessarily have to bode true for every other form of media.




    I'm not trying to change your opinion but I wanna say one more word on the subject. The 89 movie had Batman flat out state he was going to kill the Joker and he pretty much did, That to me goes against the character more than anything in The Dark Knight.
    Batman killed in 39 and it felt like Burton was going for the early Batman of 39.

  3. #33
    Loony Scott Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Running Springs, California
    Posts
    4,314

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spencermalley935 View Post
    1) He at no point in the video complains about it not being an Origin for the character of Batman, His issue is the lack of development for Batman or the Joker
    2) You realized you just contradicted yourself right? Isn't the movie called Batman not Joker?.
    3) What does that even mean and how does that disprove any of the points brought up in that video?
    He bemoaned that there was no character development, yes, and claimed that the origin story would have helped. I disagree with him, pretty vehemently.

    You suggest a contradiction as if I am implying Batman should have character development in a Batman movie. I disagree with that notion, pretty vehemently. Action movies are ok in and of themselves.

    The movie had great acting, and it made up for the movie's few irrelevant flaws. Thats what I am saying.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

  4. #34
    Spectacular Member Spencermalley935's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    He bemoaned that there was no character development, yes, and claimed that the origin story would have helped. I disagree with him, pretty vehemently.

    You suggest a contradiction as if I am implying Batman should have character development in a Batman movie. I disagree with that notion, pretty vehemently. Action movies are ok in and of themselves.

    The movie had great acting, and it made up for the movie's few irrelevant flaws. Thats what I am saying.
    Of course an origin story would've helped, it helped considerably in Batman Begins but even so, Batman not having an origin in the 89 movie isn't necesarrily a problem but not giving him any kind of character development is.

    If Batman's name is in the title, That kinda suggests he's gonna be front and center of the movie.

    Nicholson and Keaton were good but most everyone else didn't leave any kind of impression at all (especially Gordon)

  5. #35
    Incredible Member Naked Bat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    758

    Default

    I love both batman and Batman returns. They are simply incredible. Without them, TAS wouldn't exist. It made people realize comic book movies could be well made.

    The visuals are amazing. Burton and his team managed to create a world that feels unique, gothic, haunting. It does feel like an adaptation of the golden age batman.

    Burton is definitely taking cues from the expressionism, especially in returns. It's true that character development is not the strength of the movie, but it's not what it aims for either.

    Also, it's not true that it's not an origin movie: we see the murder of his parents, Vicky discovers about him going to crime alley for the birthday of their murder, when knox and Vicky discovers all his armours, weapons, etc, he tells them he brought everything from his travels, which is a subtle way to tell us he learnt the art of fighting all over the world. We also learn how the batsignal came to be and how he became an official ally of Gordon.

  6. #36
    Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,895

    Default

    Batman '89 has the best 3rd act of ANY Batmovie so far.

    My personal favourite BBegins has a weak 3rd act, '89 has a great showdown in an awesome Cathedral. Essentially Burton put the bat in a belfry. The showdown feels always tense, no matter how often I've watched it before. The Batwing is down, Bruce's rips are bruised or broken and he doesn't give up, Vicky is in danger, Joker almost got away.

  7. #37
    Incredible Member Naked Bat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    758

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Batman '89 has the best 3rd act of ANY Batmovie so far.

    My personal favourite BBegins has a weak 3rd act, '89 has a great showdown in an awesome Cathedral. Essentially Burton put the bat in a belfry. The showdown feels always tense, no matter how often I've watched it before. The Batwing is down, Bruce's rips are bruised or broken and he doesn't give up, Vicky is in danger, Joker almost got away.
    It's definitely an amazing 3rd act. The imagery is unforgettable.

  8. #38
    Loony Scott Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Running Springs, California
    Posts
    4,314

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spencermalley935 View Post
    Nicholson and Keaton were good but most everyone else didn't leave any kind of impression at all (especially Gordon)
    Well, yah, but it was a movie about Batman versus Joker. Having no one upstage that is a good thing. Its not like other performances were bad, and many were great.

    Jack Palance for instance. Tracey Walter is always good at everything he does. Even Billy Dee Williams was great for the small part he played, I was upset when he didn't come back as Two-Face. Robert Wuhl as that reporter guy was ok with what he had, but the casting stands out as kind of a misfit to me. Like they felt they needed a Superman-esque newspaper reporter vibe.

    Kim Basinger and Jerry Hall were bad, I think. If I could change anything about the movie, it would be to put a real part in there and hire real actors to play that part. But those two were just a couple of the popular pretty girls of the day, so whatever. They don't make or break the movie.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 09-27-2018 at 03:14 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

  9. #39
    Titans Together!! byrd156's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    7,163

    Default

    He made an incredible follow-up video. I really don't get why people don't understand this.

    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

    "In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

    "One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •