Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Why doesn’t DC Comics show the EARTH-2 Batman and Catwoman wedding in full ?

Given how many of you are upset about the Batman #59 reveal it got me thinking: WHY DOESN'T DC COMICS SHOW THE ORIGINAL EARTH-2 BATMAN AND CATWOMAN WEDDING IN ITS FULLEST ENTIRETY ?

I mean they did this idea TWICE and we never did get to see the Full wedding.

As Batman and Catwoman fans: What is your take on this idea and/or reprint telling of the story ?

Incredible Member

Sure but it doesn’t change how they screwed the fans with issue 50.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    WHY DOESN'T DC COMICS SHOW THE ORIGINAL EARTH-2 BATMAN AND CATWOMAN WEDDING IN ITS FULLEST ENTIRETY ?
    Because DC hasn't yet gotten around to bringing back the original JSA and the original version of Earth-2?

Because the numbskulls at DC STILL haven't committed to when they're actually going to reprint a collected edition of the JSA's early 1990's series?

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Earth-2 Bruce Wayne marries Earth-2 Selina Kyle in SUPERMAN FAMILY #211.

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Superman_Family_Vol_1_211

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    Earth-2 Bruce Wayne marries Earth-2 Selina Kyle in SUPERMAN FAMILY #211.

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Superman_Family_Vol_1_211

(NOTE: There are six more pages to that version.)

Another option is the story that was in Brave and the Bold #197 (April 1983):

The wedding itself is only given one panel on the last page, but the story itself tells how Batman/Bruce decided to marry Selina.

BANNED

At least it was a real wedding

Astonishing Member

This reminded me of another thread where the possibility of an E2 Bat-family miniseries was discussed. Now of course, DC would have to be committed to the idea of restoring Earth 2 or some kind of Golden Age world, or even to the idea of regularly telling stories in past timelines/continuities. But a fella can dream, of course...

I think there's a lot of scope for new stories set in this canon. One period of time in particularly it would be great to explore would be the later years of Batman's active career, once Bruce had become a father. It could be set in the early 1960's or thereabouts. Helena's a kid. Selina's a stay-at-home mom and socialite who's maybe starting to get a bit restless with a normal-ish life. Bruce is starting to consider that maybe the time is coming to hang up the cowl, and possibly hand it over to Dick. We could maybe even see the last days of Commissioner Gordon's time in office, and how Batman reacts to the re-emergence of the JSA.

Maybe a mini-series like this might have limited appeal, but who knows? A lot of contemporary fans love retro stories so maybe it could work - especially if they bill it as the continuing adventures of the "original" Batman.

BANNED

If Marvel can give stories to Mr. and Mrs. Spider-man and DC can do it for Mr. and Mrs. Superman, then DC can do it again for Mr. and Mrs. Batman, right ?

If Marvel can give stories to Mr. and Mrs. Spider-man and DC can do it for Mr. and Mrs. Superman, then DC can do it again for Mr. and Mrs. Batman, right ?
    Mrs Batman. I wonder how do Catwoman fans feel about that? If she became a full hero working next to Batman. Not like a sidekick like Robin but more like Batgirl or signal. Someone who isn't a typical sidekick but as partner

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Mrs Batman. I wonder how do Catwoman fans feel about that? If she became a full hero working next to Batman. Not like a sidekick like Robin but more like Batgirl or signal. Someone who isn't a typical sidekick but as partner
    An equal? I'd be down for that. Don't know if it would take on a subconscious level with main Earth Bruce, who tends to be more than a control freak at times, but I wouldn't mind.

But as to why DC won't, at least now, show such a thing? Because that would mean Batman being happy. A hero being happy. And that's a big no-no right now for the Bat office (aside from Scott Lobdell on Jason Todd).

Except those characters only exist in continuity / some people's minds with the New52 Earth 2 version, and I really don't know if/how much demand there would be for anything connected with that.

The original version haven't been a part of DC continuity for longer than some people here have probably even been alive.

Spectacular Member TravelerInTheDark's Avatar

Aren't they both dead? Besides, it's old news anyway, and would come off more like rubbing salt on the wound.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    An equal? I'd be down for that. Don't know if it would take on a subconscious level with main Earth Bruce, who tends to be more than a control freak at times, but I wouldn't mind.

But as to why DC won't, at least now, show such a thing? Because that would mean Batman being happy. A hero being happy. And that's a big no-no right now for the Bat office (aside from Scott Lobdell on Jason Todd).
    I hate the notion that a man that has been surrounded with love since he took Dick Grayson in is not happy. That a man with such a large family isn't happy. Bruce is happy. he has never been short of romantic love not that romantic love = happiness. Synder and Metal said it best. BRuce/Batman is already happy and his happiness comes from his love for his kids and his family. That unconditional love from and felt for people who love each other regardless and who are ready and have been willing to give their lives for each other without ever asking anything in return.

There's just a big no-no from the bat office. Lobdell and Jason arent under the bat office. neither are Tim and bendis, Damian and Supersons, Synder's batman. All those are happy and none are under the Bat office

Well, in that particular story, the main focus was on Bruce and Selina over coming their inner demons and finally discarding their masks which had become a crutch/hiding spot from their problems. After that was over with, the wedding was basically a foregone conclusion. IIRC, it was also the first story to introduce the idea that Bruce was heavily scarred from years of crime fighting and Loeb would recreate that scene for Hush.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly