Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Couple of Magma questions.

Hoping someone can help me out with these.

1. Her name. It was first given as Amara Juliana Olivia Aquilla, but now seems to be listed everywhere as "Olivans". Which is considered canon? And is Olivans a family name?

2. I've seen a lot of panels that appear to show her flying, which doesn't seem to make a lot of sense in relation to her powers. Is she generally accepted as being able to fly these days?

Thanks.

As far as her flying...add it to that one time events that most fans ignore...same as when Warpath was flying.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Except that she's flown a lot more than Warpath. I don't think they're going to forget it at this point. I wish they would; it makes no sense.

Sorry, I can't answer the first question.

Astonishing Member Gambit, King of Thieves's Avatar

um... uh... *mumble mumble thermals mumble* yes this makes sense. absolutely. 100%.
    Cyclops was SO DAMN RIGHT, BABY
    Pull list: X-23, Mr. & Mrs. X, Extermination, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Uncanny X-Men
    Have been informed that the Black Swans are "only seeking female members, but thank you very much for your time"

I have not seen Magma fly.

Did she shoot blasts from her hands that raised her above the ground? I had seen Havok do that somewhere before.

Or did Magma use her powers to move the ground beneath her, thereby granting "flight"? I could see her do that. Sue Richards has done that on occasion to "fly".

Nope, she's actually been flying. I can't remember specific issues, but there was no other way to explain it. It's really dumb and takes away from the character, imo.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arachne View Post
    Nope, she's actually been flying. I can't remember specific issues, but there was no other way to explain it. It's really dumb and takes away from the character, imo.
    I generally just assume that she can fly as a part of the pyrokinetic part of her powers.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Her power is to control/become lava, though. I'm not sure she can make something burst into flame like traditional pyrokinetics can.

Astonishing Member Gambit, King of Thieves's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arachne View Post
    Her power is to control/become lava, though. I'm not sure she can make something burst into flame like traditional pyrokinetics can.
    Well, if she touches something flammable, pretty sure it would go up.
    Cyclops was SO DAMN RIGHT, BABY
    Pull list: X-23, Mr. & Mrs. X, Extermination, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Uncanny X-Men
    Have been informed that the Black Swans are "only seeking female members, but thank you very much for your time"

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

She has been shown on numerous occasions to be able to generate and blast flame ala Human Torch. That's part of her powerset, also listed on the Marvel Wiki:

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Amara_A...th-616)#Powers

It also cites X-Treme X-Men (#46) for the Olivians part of her name, so that was a change made by Claremont himself and as her creator is likely canon.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Most flammable stuff that touches lava would burst into flame. I'm questioning whether she can create fire or raise the temperature of something with her mind as opposed to using lava. It looks like she can, now, but I'd rather see her using lava.

Arachne - I believe what happened was her Magma form confused artists and writers who didn’t understand her abilities were earth based and not pyrokinetic based. So what happened was instead of shooting balls of magma, which have been described as having heat+physical force to them (since it’s superheated rock), writers/artists started using her like a female Johnny Storm. This is also why I think she started ‘flying’. She looks like a typical fire based character, and as such gets treated like one.

I also believe her ‘flying’ started off on comic book covers where she was posed like she was flying. Similarly this has happened to Dazzler.

Originally Magma’s powers do not include flight, lifting herself on a column of earth or spout of magma, sure, but never true flight. I also believe her fire blasts were never just fire, but I could be wrong on that one. I always thought they weren’t just ‘energy/plasma’ and were more physical in nature.
    Psylocke Captain Britain Rictor Dust Moonstar Hellion

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by PsionicHero View Post
    I also believe her ‘flying’ started off on comic book covers where she was posed like she was flying. Similarly this has happened to Dazzler.
    That sort of thing usually happens when someone is a guest-star in someone else's book. Shaman, of Alpha Flight, was shown flying in a Rom appearance, Striker, of the Avengers Academy has been shown flying in a splash page, and Nico Minoru, visiting A-Force, was flying around with the others on daily patrols, despite the 'can only do this once' nature of her magic.

I'd just assume that whoever drew her flying didn't know bupkiss about her and thought she was flying flame-character number #202, after the Human Torches, Sunfires, Firestar, etc.

Still, 'flight for no darn reason at all' seems to be a common secondary power, exhibit A being Banshee, who flies by screaming at the ground. :/

Really hope Magma and Sunspot finally hook up!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by NotABadger View Post
    Hoping someone can help me out with these.

1. Her name. It was first given as Amara Juliana Olivia Aquilla, but now seems to be listed everywhere as "Olivans". Which is considered canon? And is Olivans a family name?

2. I've seen a lot of panels that appear to show her flying, which doesn't seem to make a lot of sense in relation to her powers. Is she generally accepted as being able to fly these days?

Thanks.

1. Just read her original New Mutants series.

2. No, she shouldn't be able to fly because her powers are based on molten lava ie. earth and not sky.

The same way that Jean Grey shouldn't be able to fly because telekinesis can only lift object up to a small height ie. levitating but some writers wrote them as flying which is wrong.

The real mutants who can fly are Storm (force of wind), Angel (force of wings)
    Last edited by jalsrix; 09-17-2018 at 01:19 AM.