Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

They’re like Storm’s, but she’s keyed into the earth’s techtonic plates and lava flows. She shouldn’t be able to fly.
    Last edited by Shadowcat; 09-17-2018 at 01:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I'd just assume that whoever drew her flying didn't know bupkiss about her and thought she was flying flame-character number #202, after the Human Torches, Sunfires, Firestar, etc.
    I mean a part of me hope that's the case the alternative is they they truly don't know and haven't fathomed a quick use of a search engine

Still, 'flight for no darn reason at all' seems to be a common secondary power, exhibit A being Banshee, who flies by screaming at the ground. :/
    Damn. I never thought about that.🤔🤔🤔🤔
    Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post
    Really hope Magma and Sunspot finally hook up!
    Noooo

Quote Originally Posted by jalsrix View Post
    1. Just read her original New Mutants series.

2. No, she shouldn't be able to fly because her powers are based on molten lava ie. earth and not sky.

The same way that Jean Grey shouldn't be able to fly because telekinesis can only lift object up to a small height ie. levitating but some writers wrote them as flying which is wrong.

The real mutants who can fly are Storm (force of wind), Angel (force of wings)
    what part of the sky are wings based on?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    I mean a part of me hope that's the case the alternative is they they truly don't know and haven't fathomed a quick use of a search engine

Damn. I never thought about that.��������
    Noooo

what part of the sky are wings based on?
    Wings are based on moving and forcing the wind. Lava doesn't do that.

Still, 'flight for no darn reason at all' seems to be a common secondary power, exhibit A being Banshee, who flies by screaming at the ground. :/
    Although it doesn't assist with understanding why Magma can suddenly fly, Banshee's flight isn't unrealistic. He's gliding on the resistant force created when the air around him is displaced. It's the reason his costume normally has those stupid "flying squirrel" appendages. So, it's gliding rather than flying by explanation and just drawn awkwardly in most instances. Technically, he's also based on a mythological creature that is a fairy and can fly so it was clearly meant to be part of the aesthetic. I think it's actually been explained in text at one point but I can't recall.

For Magma this is a change. However, if Magma was shown to propel herself on jets of lava or explosions of heat that created resistance, it'd make more sense. She's simply flying. None of these examples are anywhere as daft as Kitty Pryde suddenly being able to walk on air because she can "step through air particles". It seems to be that a secondary power is always that they can fly and it doesn't make sense. Even from an artistic stand point, Magma would look much more dynamic if walking across molten lava streams or on a lava slide like a heat-powered Iceman.

Amazing Member

1. Just read her original New Mutants series.

2. No, she shouldn't be able to fly because her powers are based on molten lava ie. earth and not sky.

The same way that Jean Grey shouldn't be able to fly because telekinesis can only lift object up to a small height ie. levitating but some writers wrote them as flying which is wrong.

The real mutants who can fly are Storm (force of wind), Angel (force of wings)
    Telekinetics can lift anything they want as long as they are powerful enough. If Jean can raise a sentinel into the air, why wouldn't she be able to lift herself into the air?

Wings are based on moving and forcing the wind. Lava doesn't do that.
    Penguin's wings don't do it either, neither does the Ostrich or .. The Kiwis
    Quote Originally Posted by Husk View Post
    Although it doesn't assist with understanding why Magma can suddenly fly, Banshee's flight isn't unrealistic. He's gliding on the resistant force created when the air around him is displaced. It's the reason his costume normally has those stupid "flying squirrel" appendages. So, it's gliding rather than flying by explanation and just drawn awkwardly in most instances. Technically, he's also based on a mythological creature that is a fairy and can fly so it was clearly meant to be part of the aesthetic. I think it's actually been explained in text at one point but I can't recall.

For Magma this is a change. However, if Magma was shown to propel herself on jets of lava or explosions of heat that created resistance, it'd make more sense. She's simply flying. None of these examples are anywhere as daft as Kitty Pryde suddenly being able to walk on air because she can "step through air particles". It seems to be that a secondary power is always that they can fly and it doesn't make sense. Even from an artistic stand point, Magma would look much more dynamic if walking across molten lava streams or on a lava slide like a heat-powered Iceman.
    SCIENCE!!
    Kitty's Walk on Air>>>Traveling across the world via outsynced Earth's rotation
    Can you imagine the horror of a lava slide
    Last edited by BroHomo; 09-17-2018 at 08:53 AM.

Even though I am not a fan of Magma flying, one could say that when she turns into her lava form, she's just controlling the mass of lava she is to levitate, which would be the same as someone like Terra levitating on a rock, or Magneto lifting the metal in his shoes to levitate. I still don't like it, but it makes sense in a way. I think it would be much more original and interesting for her to 'teleport' through the ground, by melting down and reappearing elsewhere, reformed from the earth over there, so to speak. But turning her into a Human Torch rip off is a huge waste of her unique powerset. In the end, she's just too powerful for most writers to wield. Not even Claremont was that great at her back in the day. I mean, if you can make earthquakes and volcanoes pop up wherever you go, who will stand in your way? I think Storm should round up all the high end elementals and make a team that specifically does disaster relief, so they all will have a good excuse to use their powers at the higher end without embarrassing their less endowed teammates.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    She has been shown on numerous occasions to be able to generate and blast flame ala Human Torch. That's part of her powerset, also listed on the Marvel Wiki:

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Amara_A...th-616)#Powers

It also cites X-Treme X-Men (#46) for the Olivians part of her name, so that was a change made by Claremont himself and as her creator is likely canon.
    Quoting this for posterity's sake.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by shadowbox View Post
    Telekinetics can lift anything they want as long as they are powerful enough. If Jean can raise a sentinel into the air, why wouldn't she be able to lift herself into the air?
    Lifting something is different from flying. You can lift something heavy with a forklift but that isn't flying, it's called levitating. If forklift can be used for flying we don't need airplanes.

Levitation-inspired-photography1.jpg

No doubt you can lift yourself 10 ft in the air but to fly at 10000 ft in the air horizontally is a different story.

So Jean flying is unrealistic because telekinesis works on pressure on an object. It's just like an invisible arm holding something up. The arm must be attached to a solid body strong enough to hold the pressure.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Penguin's wings don't do it either, neither does the Ostrich or .. The Kiwis

The wings must be stronger than the body it is carrying. Penguin's wings are too small and weak to fly.

Angel's wings are huge and stronger than his body so he can lift himself up and push the air backwards.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Husk View Post
    Banshee's flight isn't unrealistic. He's gliding on the resistant force created when the air around him is displaced. It's the reason his costume normally has those stupid "flying squirrel" appendages. .
    Banshee flying is due to the air pressure waves caused by his powerful voice. An aeroplane flies due to air pressure made by the engines.

See this video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io-HXZTepH4
    Last edited by jalsrix; 09-18-2018 at 02:29 AM.

Fantastic Member SchismOfMadroces's Avatar

Lifting something is different from flying. You can lift something heavy with a forklift but that isn't flying, it's called levitating. If forklift can be used for flying we don't need airplanes.

No doubt you can lift yourself 10 ft in the air but to fly at 10000 ft in the air horizontally is a different story.

So Jean flying is unrealistic because telekinesis works on pressure on an object. It's just like an invisible arm holding something up. The arm must be attached to a solid body strong enough to hold the pressure.
    If it's invisible, how do you know she doesn't have a massive telekinetic arm like you say?

Lifting something is different from flying. You can lift something heavy with a forklift but that isn't flying, it's called levitating. If forklift can be used for flying we don't need

So you're fine with a telekinetic lifting a building. But if they're in the building while moving it, it's suddenly unrealistic?

Banshee flying is due to the air pressure waves caused by his powerful voice. An aeroplane flies due to air pressure made by the engines.
    I don't think that's how airplanes work

True in one way, but not entirely. As was established by Marvel decades ago, even good TKs don't picture an arm coming out from their bodies to move an object nor themselves.

They concentrate on their unseen force moving the ibject. Professor X never once told Jean to make her arm stronger to move something, lol. No, he told her to concentrate more, use less energy, focus more intently, etc. No arms. Lol.
    Last edited by Phoenixx9; 09-18-2018 at 08:08 AM.

All (powerful) telekinetics in comics can fly.