Default Animal Man Appreciation Thread

I was doing some rereading lately,and I have to say the series fizzles out after Morrison.Thou,it was a tough act to follow.
    Funny story,the tpb removes the PETA plug in.Kinda expected that.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Grant Morrison obviously did a great run on the character, but personally I think Jamie Delano's run is even better. He wrote one of the very few horror comics that actually scared me.
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 10-21-2017 at 12:48 PM.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Idk how to classify Delano's run.Its weird,I guess?Him becoming Animal Thing and all that.

Spectacular Member

Never got into Delano's run. Tried to read it much like I tried to read his Fear Machine story arc in Hellblazer. Couldn't get into it. I bought the issues, made several attempts to try to like it but I found it stilted and dark and gloomy and soapboxy to a degree that wasn't entertaining. It just lacked something for me, which isn't to say it didn't have its audience. I however greatly enjoyed the final vertigo run under Prosser. That was not a popular run by any means although I found it much more interesting.

As for Animal Man now, there are still loose ends from the New 52 run, such as Project Taproot and the multiple planets with their Reds, Greens, and Rots in flux. I still love Maxine. I think she has so much potential for stories, and would love to see her explored a bit more.

I liked his Hellblazer run(thou Fear Machine was an average Simpsons episode),but he didn't work for me here.

from Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe Vol. I (March 1985):

Spectacular Member

Animal Man deserves more love. Also, that suit is the best when it comes with the jacket.