7 21.88%
  • Loving

1 3.13%
  • the HBIC

14 43.75%
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Again, no. Look at this:

I agree Storm is an incredibly high level psion, pretty much on par with Phoenix. And like Phoenix is the aggregate psionic energy in the minds of all in the past, present, future, Storm is just tapping into the universe elementally, through the same basic psionic abilities! She's just attuned to a different frequency than most other psions(like Rockslide is a psionic rock golem, in contrast to Iceman being a psionic water/ice golem). There are differences, yes, but a fundamental similarity.
    She has the Phoenix Force possessing her in this run, hence, when Jean confronted Emma earlier in an earlier issue, she told Emma, "Now its just you, me, and the Phoenix."

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/X2VhZ5Keoq1...dz-Tw9nE=s1600
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/6Rmi1UMjPPu...b1hyonPR=s1600

I agree that there are many similarities between the Phoenix Force and Ororo's powerset, but Jean does not have these deeper level of connections without the PF possessing her.

BANNED

I think what rutog98 is trying to point out is that Storm doesnt always use her powers psionically. Cos when she calls rain psionically but she didnt control the rain not to fall on her and stay dry.

When the plane crashed to their home, young Storm still didnt know she had powers but the elements protected her and kept her safe and survived.

And when she was beaten by Proteus to unconciousness, the storm she created still continued.

Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    Go back and reread that scan. When Storm entered the galactic core, that sudden influx of life energies automatically reversed the Brood transformation. That influx of life energies came to her automically while she was writhing on the floor in the thoes of that metamorphasis"

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/TA1J3mXX9Mx...xMFVdjnu=s1600

She did not summon that life energy to reverse the transformation. It just happened automatically when she entered the core.

That said, you do have a point. She should not age which is why I liked that 12 story arc where she evolved into an elemental being. She looked youthful as ever while all of the other X-Men looked like old hags.
    Regarding her never getting tired or injured, those would be natural add-ons to her powerset if she had a writer who was willing to see it and develop the potential there.

That said, with the Shadow King thing, what did he do, exactly? Did he psionically accelerate the healing process or something like that? I don't recall exactly what he did.
    If her powers were so automatic, why did the Brood overwhelm her in the first place? Why was it able to almost complete the transformation?

She had to punch through the nebula(a space cloud) and enter the 'open skies' of the galactic core before she reverted the process.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    I think what rutog98 is trying to point out is that Storm doesnt always use her powers psionically. Cos when she calls rain psionically but she didnt control the rain not to fall on her and stay dry.

When the plane crashed to their home, young Storm still didnt know she had powers but the elements protected her and kept her safe and survived.

And when she was beaten by Proteus to unconciousness, the storm she created still continued.
    Psionic abilities can be utilized consciously and subconsciously(to a degree). I'm not contesting that.

BANNED

Storm does use her powers psionically, but her powers are much deeper than that of a mere telepath/telekinetic. There is a spiritual and physical aspect to Storm's powers that simply transcends people like Emma, Jean, and Xavier. It gives her powerset depths and dimensions that they don't have. For instance, Jean/Xavier/Emma are not immune to psychic attacks or TK attacks like Storm is immune to cold, lightning, climate, air friction, etc. This aspect of Ororo's powers is tied into her physical and spiritual unity with the universal life force around her. Psis like Xavier, Jean, and Emma don't have an innate understanding of how their powers work like Storm did on day 1 when her powers first manifested as shown in these scans:

Here is something else to consider: Its harder for Storm to disperse tempests than it is for her to create them. Here is the proof of that:
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/au-QAQxB-46...kLt4pN_a=s1600
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/I9b8L9124xb...NEuVys4G=s1600

Now, look at what Storm was able to do the moment her powers manifested:
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/nOTSPnLQICf...IJnzkaeg=s1600
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/iHKVngKAqal...Addx2HKg=s1600
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/zLi1xRnJrQZ...IwgUGrfQ=s1600

and the next day after she got up AFTER dispersing that tempest on day 1, instance 1 of her powers manifesting themselves:
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/N712d39NduY...c3mpskkw=s1600
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/JToakUtsVgO...TgzNUtZw=s1600

(*For more on this, read post 41233 on this page: http://community.comicbookresources....lt-lt/page2749)

Telepaths are overwhelmed when their powers first manifest with the thoughts of everyone around them pouring into their minds. They have to work heard to learn even the most fundamental control over their powers. In the link I provided above, I used Jean as an example telepath and compared her with Ororo to illustrate this.

All I am saying is Storm's powers, though psionic in many regards, has depths and dimensions to them that makes labeling her as a mere psionic alongside Emma, Xavier, Jean...or even Magneto, lowballing the character and the depths to which her powers extends.

Yet, you ignore the PHYSICAL part of the scan before the PSYCHIC part, which you highlighted. Also, Science of the X-Men was not a good description of Ororo's powers at all. It did not take into consideration the "mystical-esque" aspect of her powers that bond her to the universal life force around her. Her powers cannot be explained away completely by science because of this. Furthermore, Science of the X-Men made her a telekinetic, which is very far from the truth. Storm does not control the forces of nature in an indirect way like a telekinetic who indirectly moves chairs around via their TK. Ororo controls the forces of nature directly, hence, certain barriers that can impede telekinsis do not hinder Ororo's control over the elements. Invisible Woman's force-field is an example of this.

That said, she is physically AND spiritually connected to the universe.
    Look, no scientist on earth can point to where consciousness arises in the brain. I know there is more to the universe than atoms and quarks. I am a deeply spiritual person, and believe we are all intrinsically linked to everything. Of course Storm has a physical connection to the universe, but then, everyone is physically connected to everything(the singularity expanded to create the universe, quantum entanglement allows for spooky action at a distance, faster than the speed of light).

I think ultimately you are more concerned with Storm having some sort of specialness beyond anyone else. I agree she's a special lady, but her powers are psionic, and a comparison to tp/tk is fitting. I'll say no more on this matter.

BANNED

If her powers were so automatic, why did the Brood overwhelm her in the first place? Why was it able to almost complete the transformation?

She had to punch through the nebula(a space cloud) and enter the 'open skies' of the galactic core before she reverted the process.

As for SK:

Notice, in the second page where she can focus her thoughts and falls. Why doesn't the wind catch her automatically? She still has to wield her powers consciously at some level. Remember, in all the duels between Jean and Storm, Ororo always tries to deny Jean her ability to concentrate to block her powers. Perhaps she goes for this because she too knows she must concentrate to use her own psionic abilities?
    Not all aspects of her powers work this way is what I am trying to say to you. Tell me, where did she summon the life energies of the core to reverse the transformation in this scan: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/TA1J3mXX9Mx...xMFVdjnu=s1600 ?

My assertion is just by being in the core, she gained spiritual and physical sustenance automatically without doing a thing. This cannot be explained away as something "psionic". Its much deeper than that.

BANNED

She's flown on a bolt of lightning a few times. Uncanny 145 and 147 to name two instances of this.
    I also meant to say without Lightning as well.

No posting pages which came from Pirate sites please!

BANNED

Psionic abilities can be utilized consciously and subconsciously(to a degree). I'm not contesting that.
    I thought the subconscious only works when you're awake or prolly when asleep too. But i dont think the subconscious works when getting knocked down/out. Please elaborate it to me further.

I thought the subconscious only works when you're awake or prolly when asleep too. But i dont think the subconscious works when getting knocked down/out. Please elaborate it to me further.
    When you are sleeping(functionally unconscious) your mind can still do work(dreams).

Storm was turned into solid chrome and yet her powers still acted in a subconscious manner in the RogueStorm arc.

BANNED

Go back and reread that scan. When Storm entered the galactic core, that sudden influx of life energies automatically reversed the Brood transformation. That influx of life energies came to her automically while she was writhing on the floor in the thoes of that metamorphasis"

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/TA1J3mXX9Mx...xMFVdjnu=s1600

She did not summon that life energy to reverse the transformation. It just happened automatically when she entered the core.

That said, you do have a point. She should not age which is why I liked that 12 story arc where she evolved into an elemental being. She looked youthful as ever while all of the other X-Men looked like old hags.
    Regarding her never getting tired or injured, those would be natural add-ons to her powerset if she had a writer who was willing to see it and develop the potential there.

That said, with the Shadow King thing, what did he do, exactly? Did he psionically accelerate the healing process or something like that? I don't recall exactly what he did.
    The first part of your conclusions are correct as her body was doing everything it could to survive and assert control. But she even admits it was temporary. If your theory is true then that initial energy transference would have been enough and her powers would have automatically healed her. It wasn't enough, she had to summon all that energy inside herself to kill the brood embryo and the corrupted cells it transformed. Her connection to the universe isn't zero sum. It's both automatic and at times not. The whole scene reveals that.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    Thanks!

And I see you holding it down for Storm in the BP thread despite what the "enthusiasts" have to say.
    no thank you!

and yes posting there can be exhausting sometimes. the hate for her by some there is just beyond my comprehension. you would think she annulled the marriage lol.

You are being too nonsensical. Storm's power is fundamentally psionic. There is no debate there. It is similar to tp/tk, in that she can extend her mind to join with the universes's mind(like tp), can extend her mind across distances to effect change(the very definition of tk). Some psions can communicate with animals. Some can communicate with only humans. Some can only commune with rocks, or water, or fire, or plants. Storm communes with all life and the forces of creation.

I would go further and say that if she wanted to, she could actually learn to do anything a telepath could do by becoming attuned to the neurons of another and imposing her will into their synapses, and anything a telekin could do by grabbing ahold of the very electrons of a thing. This is the fundamental connection between her psionic abilities and the psionic abilities of others.

I like the last part. The only thing is I don't see her doing it akin to a telepath but more like a bloodbender if that makes any sense. She control a the actions but only through the direct control of the synapses.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

BANNED

And just to add, i never read/saw an instance of Jean nor Magneto and Iceman with their powers working subconsciously. When they get knocked down, their powers stop too.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    I like the last part. The only thing is I don't see her doing it akin to a telepath but more like a bloodbender if that makes any sense. She control a the actions but only through the direct control of the synapses.
    Yes, it would be short-hand like bloodbending, at least at first until she became more attuned to that medium. But then, you have telekinetics like Phoenix who could disperse fog or do other weather effects through pure, blundering willpower.

Its like being an artist. You have painters and you have sculptors, but they are both artists. Different mediums, yes, but an intrinsic similarity.