• Gentle

7 21.88%
  • Loving

1 3.13%
  • the HBIC

14 43.75%
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    Guggenheim is not for me either. Not only would it be PIS for Ororo to use Stormcaster for feats she would have long surpassed using her own powers unenhanced by any external agent, but it also flies in the face of the development she's getting iin Black Panther right now with the whole "goddess" aspect of her character being explored. This guy is a terrible writer. To be honest, most of the times I feel like Marvel only brought him on in an attempt to entice him to get some weekly X-Men shows on TV like that Green Arrow series I believe he writes or produces or something.

Whatever the case,IF he has the POTENTIAL to be a good X-Men writer, it's certainly not coming through, and I believe his Kitty Pryde obsession is what would be holding him back from doing good X-Men stories (again, assuming he has the writing potential to do good stories on this title).

Not every character has the potential to be as great as Ororo or Wolverine or Gambit. It is for this reason that not all characters are equal. He's scaling back the best headlining characters to prop up a support character he has some kind of weird obession with, and its been dragging down the quality of the whole series.

Truth be told, though, in all fairness, I would have bought this issue if not for the Stormcaster thing. He writes Storm like dirt and then, when he finally wants to do give a nod to the character, he uses PIS by having her use something to boost her powers so she can pull off feats that are far weaker than many other feats she has done on the merits of her own power without anything boosting her? NO THANKS!
    Rutog, I can personally tell you that Guggy threw some feats on there that you and I both will want to use. It's a few in there before Stormcaster comes into play. But, seriously, this issue is clear proof that he's capable of writing a competent and self aware Storm. He just chose not to do so. The only other way to explain the Storm in this issue before she makes contact with Stormcaster is either that he chose not to write her in a competent manner or she was so competent that she knew she was not needed and purposely went to sleep every issue because she determined that she wasn't needed.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BBeeryan View Post
    Rutog, I can personally tell you that Guggy threw some feats on there that you and I both will want to use. It's a few in there before Stormcaster comes into play. But, seriously, this issue is clear proof that he's capable of writing a competent and self aware Storm. He just chose not to do so. The only other way to explain the Storm in this issue before she makes contact with Stormcaster is either that he chose not to write her in a competent manner or she was so competent that she knew she was not needed and purposely went to sleep every issue because she determined that she wasn't needed.
    I get that there were definitely some gems in this story to pluck, but this Stormcaster thing is really bad. If it catches on with other writers and starts being used semi-consistently when she fights "god-level" characters, then it will completely undermine everything that has been established about her enormous power levels and potential that has been there since day 1 with the character. I simply won't stick around for that.

BANNED

Seriously? If Stormcaster becomes a regular thing for Ororo to pull impressive feats (I hate Guggenheim for bringing it back), then I'm gonna be through with Marvel. This will be something that will have me stop following Storm as her powers/power levels play a huge role into her character. I have no interest in seeing all of the stuff about Storm being able to wield unlimited power on the mertis of her own innate abilities along with all the high end feats she has done over the years on her own power without any external source boosting her being washed down the drain to make her into some kind of sad Thorette. I hope this thing Guggenheim did with Stormcaster does not catch on with other writers.
    I don't see Stormcaster becoming a regular thing. At least I hope not. Marvel sure better not try and reconcile Coates' character progression with the addition of Stormcaster. (I do like the idea of Storm breaking the weapon down and using it as bits of armor. It could be forged into bracelets like WW for instance.) But seriously Storm's power and rage was enough to overcome a power dampener. And something minute as shirt circuiting a phone while still in someone's hand without electrocuting them was very nice.

BANNED

I don't see Stormcaster becoming a regular thing. At least I hope not. Marvel sure better not try and reconcile Coates' character progression with the addition of Stormcaster. (I do like the idea of Storm breaking the weapon down and using it as bits of armor. It could be forged into bracelets like WW for instance.) But seriously Storm's power and rage was enough to overcome a power dampener. And something minute as shirt circuiting a phone while still in someone's hand without electrocuting them was very nice.
    I agree, those things were nice. Oh, boy, what if Storm is going to use Stormcaster against Adversary? I won't touch the issue if she does. I'll be about through with Marvel, then. I won't even pick up her solo title if this Stormcaster thing becomes a substantial fixture on her character when she fights "god-tier" characters. I'll be done with Marvel and I'll be done with posting on the boards over this. This Stormcaster crap could be used to alter some very core aspects about the character that will weaken her.

I mean, she was able to wield enough power to defeat the Trion, the sum of all matter, life, and energy for an entire reality's past, present, and future, all on her own, yet she needs Stormcaster for this bozo? This was a rare opportunity for her to cut loose, and it was ruined with that blasted hammer.
    Last edited by rutog98; 04-04-2018 at 10:27 AM.

BANNED

I get that there were definitely some gems in this story to pluck, but this Stormcaster thing is really bad. If it catches on with other writers and starts being used semi-consistently when she fights "god-level" characters, then it will completely undermine everything that has been established about her enormous power levels and potential that has been there since day 1 with the character. I simply won't stick around for that.
    Rutog, you and I know the truth. This Stormcaster mess simply cannot stick around. It sends a very problematic message. As Kyss has pointed out, this story still goes out of its way to dismiss her ties to BP. A series that has established her a goddess within her own right in its latest volume. She's been confirmed as an African Goddess from an unidentified pantheon. This story comes along and whitewashes that aspect of her current portrayal outside of the X-verse. It's a bigger problem than you know.

BANNED

I agree, those things were nice. Oh, boy, what if Storm is going to use Stormcaster against Adversary? I won't touch the issue if she does. I'll be about through with Marvel, then. I won't even pick up her solo title if this Stormcaster thing becomes a substantial fixture on her character when she fights "god-tier" characters. I'll be done with Marvel and I'll be done with posting on the boards over this. This Stormcaster crap could be used to alter some very core aspects about the character that will weaken her.

I mean, she was able to wield enough power to defeat the Trion, the sum of all matter, life, and energy for an entire reality's past, present, and future, all on her own, yet she needs Stormcaster for this bozo? This was a rare opportunity for her to cut loose, and it was ruined with that blasted hammer.
    Stormcaster could do nothing of the sort. Asgard is dead. Stormcaster is dead. And as with this issue, Uncle Guggy's incompetently written Storm is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    I'm Totally down for a Stormcaster Story.

BANNED

Rutog, you and I know the truth. This Stormcaster mess simply cannot stick around. It sends a very problematic message. As Kyss has pointed out, this story still goes out of its way to dismiss her ties to BP. A series that has established her a goddess within her own right in its latest volume. She's been confirmed as an African Goddess from an unidentified pantheon. This story comes along and whitewashes that aspect of her current portrayal outside of the X-verse. It's a bigger problem than you know.
    Oh, no, I am very well aware of how big of a problem this is and it is the one of the very few things they could do to the character to make me stop following her and going the way of the old Storm fans I used to talk to pre-Panther marriage (they walked away from Marvel after that Dickey solo and the way she was portrayed in the marriage. They hated it that much, and I have yet to see them on the boards since...). I will stay away from comics and never look back should this Stormcaster thing become prominent when she fights high-level bad guys.

BANNED

Stormcaster could do nothing of the sort. Asgard is dead. Stormcaster is dead. And as with this issue, Uncle Guggy's incompetently written Storm is dead.
    I am keeping my fingers crossed that you are right in all of this.

Quote Originally Posted by bbeeryan View Post
    or she was so competent that she knew she was not needed and purposely went to sleep every issue because she determined that she wasn't needed.
    fooclmfao!

I guess the humor I find in this is, as much as you like to pit her against Thor or other Top tier characters, Stormcaster, at this point, would be the thing that would bring her closest to having a chance in hell. Granted it was annoying she couldn't have just done something impressive under her own power. But in this instance I'm just saying that if stormcaster did become a regular part of Storm's "arsenal" (which I wouldn't want either) then she could actually stand up to some other Top tier characters and not be completely outclassed.

Kyss, now, hold up. I was really in my feelings a bit because I felt that I may have been a little too harsh on Uncle Guggy. The feat of Storm overpowering her dampening device was BOSS. Her feat of short circuiting the phone before the warden could use it was BOSS. I actually didn't mind the jail cell scene. It took some time for Storm to turn her feelings of helplessness into rage. But that was a sweet spot for me as well. Because when the rage came on, it really came on. That's how Storm's character and her power should be displayed and portrayed. That was all up to the point before Stormcaster reaches her. I didn't mind the fact that the weapon reacts to her pain and rage from another dimension. I actually liked that fact. But once the hammer reaches her hand it becomes clear that for all her power she NEEDS Stormcaster to get the job done. That killed the whole vibe that he gave Storm leading up to that point. But now you're telling me that he wrote the story where she destroyed Stormcaster by taking control of mjolnir? Is this serious?
    well, Stormcaster wasn't destroyed though. I don't know if it actually can be. It may appear to have been but it doesn't seem like it can be destroyed. Just like it doesn't seem like mjolnir can be destroyed. Other than that I agree with you.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BlkGldBlu View Post
    I'm Totally down for a Stormcaster Story.
    Well, you should definitely enjoy this story. Stormcaster is tied and tethered to her from another dimension. To me, that's the coolest aspect of this Stormcaster story.
    Oh, no, I am very well aware of how big of a problem this is and it is the one of the very few things they could do to the character to make me stop following her and going the way of the old Storm fans I used to talk to pre-Panther marriage (they walked away from Marvel after that Dickey solo and the way she was portrayed in the marriage. They hated it that much, and I have yet to see them on the boards since...). I will stay away from comics and never look back should this Stormcaster thing become prominent when she fights high-level bad guys.
    I don't think you'll need to walk away from comics like the Storm fans you mentioned. If only they could how she's returned to prominence.
    I am keeping my fingers crossed that you are right in all of this.
    We both are. Lmao

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PattiLaBelleStormfan View Post
    well, Stormcaster wasn't destroyed though. I don't know if it actually can be. It may appear to have been but it doesn't seem like it can be destroyed. Just like it doesn't seem like mjolnir can be destroyed. Other than that I agree with you.
    Oh, okay. I never considered that fact. Then again it is a magic weapon. That will be a nice little aspect to Stormcaster if it can't be destroyed. What if Loki had it charmed with unbreakable magic?

I need to read this...

Anyone got any pics?
    Some of us wait, some of us act.