10 31.25%
  • Gentle

7 21.88%
  • Loving

1 3.13%
  • the HBIC

14 43.75%

Quote Originally Posted by T.S. View Post
    Stings a little. I fell in love with that photoshop image from a while back that had the mohawk on Lupita.

I'll take a deep breath and wish the best for Shipp. Do it right!
    Same here for me. I'm willing to give her shot. I'm grateful that we Storm coming to the big screen again but it needs to be done right. There is not one X-movie that has done the character full justice.
    Be the change you wish to see in the world.

To be honest I am just thrilled that Storm is going to be in this film as I was expecting her to be cut altogether. I just hope she gets her chance to shine.

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    Zendaya is more beautiful than Alexandra
    thats debatable

Issue Information
    Title- Uncanny X-Men (Volume 1) #173
    Release Date- September 1983
    Writer- Chris Claremont
    Artist- Paul Smith

Major Notes
    First appearance of Storm’s Mohawk look. Features Viper and the Silver Samurai

Brief Summary

To Have and Have Not

In a bar in Tokyo Wolverine holds up a gangsta. He demands to know the location of crime lord Nabatone Yokuse. The gangsta is no willing to talk, Rogue tells the gangsta that he should talk. She is unaware of another gangsta behind her who tries to stab her with a sai but due to her invulnerability the blade bends and she throws him to one side. Wolverine pops out his claws and forces the gangsta to talk. He tells Wolverine Nabatone’s location and he is then knocked out. Wolverine and Rogue move to Nabatone’s location since they know that he will lead them to Viper and the Silver Samurai.

Elsewhere Yukio and Storm try to find sanctuary with a friend but he refuses to let them in since they are both marked for death. They begin to wonder their next move when they notice a group of assassins heading their way. Despite being outnumbered Yukio is looking forward to the battle which Storm is very surprised to see. She even accepts that they must fight and she herself is somewhat looking forward to it as well.

Wolverine and Rogue make it to Nabatone’s estate just outside of Tokyo. They enter carefully and they notice that there are no guards. Wolverine begins to track Nabatone’s scent but as they walk through the corridor Rogue accidentally activates a trap. Wolverine is able to save her from it and the trap causes a nearby statue to be destroyed. Rogue goes to give Wolverine a little kiss for saving her but he forcefully declines. He didn’t use his claws because he knows that she meant no harm.

They eventually enter the room where Nabatone is located. He is sitting behind a table and Rogue notices a strong smell. Wolverine realises that the stench is a decaying body, Nabatone has been dead for a week meaning that the man that was at the warehouse that night was an imposter. He also realises that him and Rogue being there gives Viper and the Silver Samurai a good opportunity to attack.

Elsewhere again Storm and Yukio defeat the assassins. It is the first time that Storm has used her powers to intentionally harm another person. Yukio assures her that the assassins deserved it and Storm welcomes what is happening.

At the hospital where Mariko and the X-Men are being treated a group of ninjas led by Viper kill the armed guards. She commands there to be no survivors but before they can attack Rogue flies in sending them outside. Rogue begins to take out the ninjas one by one but Viper knows that it is giving the Silver Samurai the time he needs.

Inside the hospital itself Wolverine is all that stands between the Silver Samurai and Mariko. The Silver Samurai lunges towards Wolverine and both men engage in combat. Each man is able to cut the other but Wolverine’s skills prevail as he is able to get the better of his opponent. He is even able to break the Silver Samurai’s arm but before he can be killed Mariko steps in saving him from certain death. Viper makes his appearance and as the Silver Samurai staggers towards her he falls to the ground unconscious.

Viper is greatly angered at the state of her champion and goes to fire her hi-tech handgun at the couple. Rogue flies in and is able to shield them before the energy bullet hits. Wolverine dives with Mariko into another room and Viper continues to fire at Rogue. Even with her invulnerability the energy shots still harm her. Viper fires so many times that her gun overloads and blows itself up. She then teleports away with the Silver Samurai as Wolverine tends to a wounded Rogue. She seems to be done for but he kisses her so that she can absorb his healing abilities and survive.

A week later at the Ancestral seat of house Yashida Mariko is looking upon a statue of Buddha in the gardens. She looks to her ancestors for guidance and she proclaims her love for Wolverine. She turns to see another person who claims to be a friend and she walks off forgetting that she has met him.

The X-Men are ready for the ceremony while more guests arrive like Professor Xavier, Lilandra, Cyclops, Havok, Corsair and Madelyne Pryor. When Lilandra sees Madelyne she thinks that she is Phoenix reincarnated and reacts angrily. She is calmed down eventually but they notice someone flying in the sky. Moments later Storm lands on the ground sporting a new Mohawk hairstyle and leathery clothing. Kitty Pryde sees Storm’s new appearance and runs away crying and Storm too is surprised to see the resemblance between Madelyne and Jean Grey.

A short time later everyone is inside the estate awaiting for the wedding to begin. Since Kitty is basically the maid of honour she gives Madelyne a bag containing Lockheed so that she can look after him. Madelyne accepts and when she opens the bag she expects to see a cat but instead she sees that Lockheed is a dragon. She begins to question Cyclops exactly who these people are and what he has brought her to.

After sometime of waiting Mariko enters in her bridal dress. Wolverine is already at the alter awaiting her but she suddenly stops stating that the wedding will not take place. When Wolverine asks why she responds that he is not worthy. Without muttering a single word she leaves the ceremony as Wolverine stands there and he sheds a tear. There is someone else watching what is happening.

My Thoughts

And we come again to the Uncanny X-Men in what is their second trip to Japan. This was a great issue and did showcase quite a bit on Storm’s transformation and Rogue’s more or less acceptance into the X-Men.

The first thing to really highlight is that this is the first appearance of Storm’s new look. She had looked more or less the same since her first appearance in 1975 and this look is remembered fondly by fans. It definitely gives her a more edgy appearance and takes a step away from the whole goddess business and make her look more kick ass so to speak. I would say that her Mohawk hairstyle is probably what’s most remembered and even after she has stopped using this costume. Also the fact that she didn’t really mind harming the assassins only shows that she has indeed changed and her friendship with Yukio also cements the change.

One other point to make out is that this is the first time that we’ve really seen Rogue actually perform like an X-Man. Her team up with Wolverine was definitely one of the highlights of the issue and we got to see her actually not act like a villain like she has in almost all of her previous appearances and she showed that she is changing by taking the bullet for Wolverine and Mariko. If she was still villainous she could have let Viper shoot the pair, we all know that Wolverine would have survived but unlikely that Mariko would have though. This showed to me that she truly is changing and that there is room for redemption within her.

The battle between Wolverine and the Silver Samurai was beautifully drawn by the talented artist Paul Smith and the fact that there was no speech during the battle only added to the realism. We could see every strike that was taken and the tolls that it took on the fighters as each panel was beautifully brought to life. From this issue I can definitely see why Paul Smith is held in such high regard by X-Fans.

One thing I did find funny was when Kitty Pryde passed Lockheed’s bag over to Madelyne Pryor. The seemingly normal woman expected to see a cat or at least a puppet and her surprise that Lockheed was actually a dragon did get a chuckle out of me. It just shows that when you’re involved with the X-Men, truly fantastical things are practically common place like a teenage girl having a dragon for a pet.

The shocking end to the issue with Mariko ending the wedding there and then was a great shock to reader and the characters themselves. Something seems to have happened to her in those moments between her at the statue of Buddha to her going to the wedding itself. It hurt Wolverine more than any wound that he has ever suffered and it was enough for him to shed a tear. He must truly be broken if a man of his calibre and ferocity is more or less reduced to tears.

The revelation that the Nabatone Yokuse that was at the warehouse in the last issue was actually an imposter only adds more to the mystery although from what we saw of the mysterious individual I think that I’ve worked out who it is and if I’m right I do want an explanation.

In conclusion I’m giving the issue a 9 out of 10. A brilliant issue with many moments that will be remembered for a good long time.

Next Issue
    Dazzler (Volume 1) #28
    Life Finds A Way
    God Loves Man Kills
    What Is Thy Bidding My Master
    Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken
    Till All Are One

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Avatar View Post
    I honestly don't expect too much from Storm in this movie, so even though I don't care about the casting, I'm not bothered by it because I have low expectations.
    Exactly. My expectation is a big ol' ZERO.
    Last edited by Tofali; 01-23-2015 at 06:41 AM.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Opinion not fact, as I think Alexandra is hot. And a much better choice of the two. I hope she does an accent and is clearly African.
    I hope not. I cringe every time I hear an American actor/actress doing an African/Foreign accent. Jill Scott ruined my enjoyment of Storm in Black Panther because of that. Even the almighty Bassett can't do a line of words in French.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

I didn't see the Aalyiah biopic or any of her other work so I can't comment on her acting chops. My opinion is on looks alone. That said, I am OK with the casting. I am not a huge Lupita fan so I am OK with her not playing Storm. She has the acting chops, but not the right look to me.

I don't mind that the actress is bi-racial as well. I remember the issue 159 of the X-Men when Storm meets Dracula. After she is attacked and taken to the hospital they describe her as having features of all the races. I am OK with them choosing an actress who encompasses this to a certain degree.

I know nothing of this actress but she is certainly pretty. Can she be Storm? No idea. Will they properly write Storm? Doubtful.

I'm hoping they re-create Storm and ignore everything they did prior with her.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    Agreed... Tonight i'll sleep on it.. and probably still will be "MEH!"

Star wars can get us a Dark Skinned set of folks, but FOX can't give us a true Dark Skinned Storm? I call shenanigans.
    I still couldn't accept her as Storm today.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    thats debatable
    I've checked other videos of her and she doesn't even look as good as her images on Aaliyah movie. She looks like a simple laidback girl actually.

She doesn't have a charm and she lacks personality. But Zendaya has it. Zendaya is beautiful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgtasPD60N8

and the only reason I could see why Singer chose Shipp over Coleman is because Zendaya doesn't look like an african anymore. Just like Mariah.

I'm just choosing Zendaya over Alexandra if they are the only choices. If not, then Singer should look for another actress as young Storm.

BANNED

Storm fans, if you haven't then vote: http://community.comicbookresources....-would-you-buy

You can also pre-order the Storm vol 3 TPB: http://www.amazon.com/Storm-1-Make-G...s=storm%2C+pak

Remember, if the TPB will sell well, then it's possible that Storm will get another ongoing solo again.
    Last edited by RLAAMJR.; 01-23-2015 at 11:35 AM.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Astronaut View Post
    I am loving this Storm art!

Storm fans, if you haven't then vote: http://community.comicbookresources....-would-you-buy

You can also pre-order the Storm vol 3 TPB: http://www.amazon.com/Storm-1-Make-G...s=storm%2C+pak

Remember, if the TPB will sell well, then it's possible that Storm will get another ongoing solo again.
    I already have mine pre-ordered . I think it comes out next month.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Astronaut View Post
    This is beautiful. Who is the artist? I can't make out that signature.
    Be the change you wish to see in the world.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Rider View Post
    This is beautiful. Who is the artist? I can't make out that signature.
    Click on the image and it will take you to the artist's original page.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

She will get another one