• Gentle

7 21.88%
  • Loving

1 3.13%
  • the HBIC

14 43.75%
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PattiLaBelleStormfan View Post
    Do you have the scan of her breaking the sound barrier in G. Willow's X-Men run. Think it was #26. I have the issue but not the scan.

Actually it's been confirmed that Storm's flight speed is Mach-4. It's on marvel's official website as well if you look at her stats on her bio page. Also in X-Men #26 (the all female run) she broke the sound barrier. But many people don't know that. But that's the wonderful thing about scans lol!
    how fast is MAch-4 in terms of mph?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    Yea i can understand people thinking the way that they do; however, I think often it is because they see her as just a weather manipulator. They don't know the many ways in which her powers work AND they they think it takes time for her powers to work. Add to this writers at marvel who insist on saying stupid things like this:

(Note: Guggenheim worked on the that previous scan and it's the biggest reason why I am not looking forward to him in this new title)

It creates this narrative that doesn't align to her being able to do creative and useful things with her powers when there is limited or no atmosphere present such as this:

Canon has already established (from claremont to mcduffie) that storm has so many ways in which her powers can work without the limits that some current writers wish to impose. But seeing as though these low showings do appear frequently I can understand a lot of readers who don't think she can handle the heavy hitters. However, it's our duty as fans to try to change that perspective by providing evidence from canon to support the counter narrative. Hopefully we do get some new application of her ability (relative to her defenses) as well as those consistent with previous showings from canon which demonstrate her versatility in power.

Thanks for this. I won't be having any questions because he is working on the Weapon X book I believe and seeing Storm won't be in there I don't have any thing worthwhile that would add to that conversation.
    Don't forget Pak! He gave Storm that global solar wind feat that lasted 4 hours.

BANNED

That would be about 770 x 4. Just multiply that out to get the answer...

Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    Don't forget Pak! He gave Storm that global solar wind feat that lasted 4 hours.
    That would be about 770 x 4. Just multiply that out to get the answer...
    Of course!! I love Pak for what he did with her power application in her book. I don't think we would have ever seen anything like that had we not gotten his gem he gave to us.

Question, for the Willow feat, what do you guys think happened? From the illustration it appears she changed to lightning in order to move that fast and was not flying. What do you guys think?

BANNED

You can try and devalue Gladiator all you want to try and prop up Jean, but it doesn't work.
    At no point, anywhere, did I devalue Kallark...

Jeen has never displayed the kind of power levels it would take to come anywhere near besting Gladiator physically without (a) using her telepathy to weaken his self-esteem, and thus lowering his strength and invulnerability (b) being possessed by the Phoenix Force or have some other external means of boosting her powers.
    The Phoenix Force has nothing to do with this -- besides, Jeen clearly stated her power levels were new to her --

-- ipso facto, Jeen has never displayed that level of psionic power until now.

If I were a Gladiator fan, I would be spamming his high end feats and challenging you to present feats accomplished by Jeen that puts her on that level to where she could credibly beat Gladiator physically without devaluing him and without her being possessed by the PF or some other external means of boosting her own natural powers.. If I came at you that way, you would lose so bad and the PIS would be proven.
    Gladiator got beat fair and square by a girl who just happened to develop a secondary mutation when she need it (too bad Kallark's take down by Ororo in "F.F. #250", was actually a Skrull impersonating her, huh?). So, you can call it "PIS" all you like -- but, the pages don't lie and there's a first time for everything and GoTG #13 was it
    Last edited by ZNOP; 02-08-2017 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Link(s) added.

It's about 3,000 MPH at top speed which makes sense because in Uncanny #386 it stated she was reaching speeds only jets could match even in reentry. She just doesn't use top speed because of the damage it would do to the atmosphere like in Worlds Apart. Also in Annual #12 Madelyn stated the speed she was using to reach the savage land was unlike anything she had ever seen. So she HAD to really be movin because Madelyn was a pilot plus she took their measure including Rogues during training sessions. When you really think about it that sounds logical. She usually just remains subsonic as to not adversely affect nature.

It's about 3,000 MPH at top speed which makes sense because in Uncanny #386 it stated she was reaching speeds only jets could match even in reentry. She just doesn't use top speed because of the damage it would do to the atmosphere like in Worlds Apart. Also in Annual #12 Madelyn stated the speed she was using to reach the savage land was unlike anything she had ever seen. So she HAD to really be movin because Madelyn was a pilot plus she took their measure including Rogues during training sessions. When you really think about it that sounds logical. She usually just remains subsonic as to not adversely affect nature.
    so wat do u think happened in the willow scan? it doesnt appear she was flying. it appears she actually turned into lightning or was moving as fast as lightning to evade the falling rocks.

so wat do u think happened in the willow scan? it doesnt appear she was flying. it appears she actually turned into lightning or was moving as fast as lightning to evade the falling rocks.
    I think it was more than likely wind, and the bolt of lightning was just to clear her way free.

Also here is the official sight marvel uses for their characters. This is Storm's page: http://marvel.com/universe/Storm

I think it was more than likely wind, and the bolt of lightning was just to clear her way free.

Also here is the official sight marvel uses for their characters. This is Storm's page: http://marvel.com/universe/Storm
    ok never looked at it like that. that sounds more plausible seeing her hands were emitting lightning.

I generally don't go to marvel.com for accurate information. some of the information for characters seems dated and not in alignment to canon.

BANNED

Actually it's been confirmed that Storm's flight speed is Mach-4. It's on marvel's official website as well if you look at her stats on her bio page. Also in X-Men #26 (the all female run) she broke the sound barrier. But many people don't know that. But that's the wonderful thing about scans lol!
    I'm sure Ororo can achieve the speed of sound -- but, Mach 4? I'm not buying it... Perhaps, you can provide us with the title and issue that you've read this in.

3042- 3069 miles per hour.
    Last edited by ZNOP; 02-08-2017 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZNOP View Post

I'm sure Ororo can achieve the speed of sound -- but, Mach 4? I'm not buying it... Perhaps, you can provide us with the title and issue that you've read this in.

3042- 3069 miles per hour.
    Thanks for the information.

Not sure how fast she was moving here but this seems to require a lot of speed to re-enter the earth's atmosphere. Any guesses or rationale as to what speed she was going?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ZNOP View Post

At no point, anywhere, did I devalue Kallark...

The Phoenix Force has nothing to do with this -- besides, Jeen clearly stated her power levels were new to her --

-- ipso facto, Jeen has never displayed that level of psionic power until now.

Gladiator got beat fair and square by a girl who just happened to develop a secondary mutation when she need it (too bad Kallark's take down by Ororo in "F.F. #250", was actually a Skrull impersonating her, huh?). So, you can call it "PIS" all you like -- but, the pages don't lie and there's a first time for everything and GoTG #13 was it
    The point I'm making is Gladiator's power levels are constantly "adjusted" to fit any given story. In some stories, he can smash planets with a single punch and collapse stars with his bare hands. I'm sorry, but neither Jeen nor Jean could pull stunts anywhere near this without the Phoenix Force. In other stories, he gets clobbered by Cannonball, he loses to Jeen, and people like Colossus and Deathbird can go toe-to-toe with him. I think even Captain America may have knocked him out once and I'm pretty sure Thing did, too. Its been years since I've read those stories, so I am a little fuzzy on the details regarding Steve Rogers and Ben. It is because he is written so all over the place that I don't give much weight to the fact that Jeen bested him because she has no feats (without the use of her telepathy, a power he is weak against) whatsoever to come anywhere close to even slowing him down if you take him at his best. If a Jeen fan wants to make the claim that she can destroy stars without the Phoenix Force or anything else boosting her powers, they are going to have to provide a scan of her doing just that.
    Last edited by rutog98; 02-08-2017 at 03:31 PM.

BANNED

I actually thought Storm was Mach 3 because she has already out fly the Black Bird and that's SuperSonic. She re-entered the Earth's Atmosphere in a ball of Flames that is Mach 3. But Cearly Marvel thinks is is way faster becaseu she is placed number 5 in speed. But as Kyss said I don't place much faith in that, but ok. However, I need proof that she is Mach 4 becasue that's Hypersonic the realm of Ironman.

Yea i can understand people thinking the way that they do; however, I think often it is because they see her as just a weather manipulator. They don't know the many ways in which her powers work AND they they think it takes time for her powers to work. Add to this writers at marvel who insist on saying stupid things like this:

(Note: Guggenheim worked on the that previous scan and it's the biggest reason why I am not looking forward to him in this new title)

It creates this narrative that doesn't align to her being able to do creative and useful things with her powers when there is limited or no atmosphere present such as this:

Canon has already established (from claremont to mcduffie) that storm has so many ways in which her powers can work without the limits that some current writers wish to impose. But seeing as though these low showings do appear frequently I can understand a lot of readers who don't think she can handle the heavy hitters. However, it's our duty as fans to try to change that perspective by providing evidence from canon to support the counter narrative. Hopefully we do get some new application of her ability (relative to her defenses) as well as those consistent with previous showings from canon which demonstrate her versatility in power.
    Yes Kyss I understand your frustrations very well, but not many people question the fact IF Storm can manipulate cosmic weather or other energy. I've never debated with someone who thought that, but I do agree People THINK her powers need to wind up when that's NOT the case. Her powers are always working even when she isn't aware which is pretty cool. AND they come to her aid when she didn't ask for them to. So i'm cool with that it's just the ignorance people don't know how her powers work. She manipulates all forms of natural energy. Cosmic, Kinetic, Electromagnetic, Electric, Thermal etc.....
    Which is why i'm excited for X-men Gold Storm. We are going back to EXTREMELY Powerful Storm under CC. SO hopefully he gets it right I think he didn't understand her powers at the time. BUT Since he is referring to CC Storm I think he's got it.
    Last edited by stormphoenix; 02-08-2017 at 03:24 PM.

BANNED

Thanks for the information.

Not sure how fast she was moving here but this seems to require a lot of speed to re-enter the earth's atmosphere. Any guesses or rationale as to what speed she was going?
    Yeah I just mentioned that in my post. That's Mach 3 when Space Ships re-enter the Atmosphere they are usually going Mach 3. I know becasue Carol Danvers can do that and she is ONLY Mach 3