• Gentle

7 21.88%
  • Loving

1 3.13%
  • the HBIC

14 43.75%
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BBeeryan View Post
    It's possible. But it could also be a subtle reference to the movie Moonlight. Deep chocolate skin can glow a very beautiful blue under certain light. I'm a little confused as to how Storm being called blue can be seen as tragic as it refers to her skin tone? Hell, Naomi could be labelled as blue-black under the right light. And her skin is flawless. A few posts here leave me more than a bit nervous.
    I'm so with you. I'm not seeing the issue either. even in the image I posted her skin was originally shown as a darker tone.

I like the reference to her having a darker tone, it's comics so it would likely change again to the next writer. But for now I'm happy with Storm being a dark-skinned black woman, especially since there are so few of them portrayed positively in media because of colorism and all that crap.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    I like the reference to her having a darker tone, it's comics so it would likely change again to the next writer. But for now I'm happy with Storm being a dark-skinned black woman, especially since there are so few of them portrayed positively in media because of colorism and all that crap.
    come on now!!! y'all are making my heart smile so much today

It's possible. But it could also be a subtle reference to the movie Moonlight. Deep chocolate skin can glow a very beautiful blue under certain light. I'm a little confused as to how Storm being called blue can be seen as tragic as it refers to her skin tone? Hell, Naomi could be labelled as blue-black under the right light. And her skin is flawless. A few posts here leave me more than a bit nervous.
    I don't see how it's tragic in any way either but what I do know is a lot of American black people have personal issues with shades of color. In my family our shade variation is extreme and you have people who will actually ask "Well what happened to you?" when I was growing up referring to me being the darkest. We range from a milk color to me being a chocolate color.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Personally I think it has something to do with house slaves vs field slaves and the ability to hide your blackness. Taught self-hate.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Avatar View Post
    I wouldn't say she would have always been colored that way. Colorist are very inconsistent. Look at what they do to Sunspot.
    Also you have to account for the different coloring techniques and printing techniques of today verses then. We can do a lot more with hues today than they could then but I do believe the intention was always for Storm to be a deep chocolate brown.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    I'm so with you. I'm not seeing the issue either. even in the image I posted her skin was originally shown as a darker tone.
    Exactly. Say what you will, but Storm's appearance just doesn't grab hold of me without the drastic contrast between the deep brown of her beautifully melanated skin and the bright white mane. It just doesn't give her that other-worldly feeling. There should be a sharp contrast to bring out her features. White hair on Beyonce will not have the same effect as it will on Kelly Rowland. Whom, by the way, can have a very beautiful blue-black glow under the right light.
    I mean damn. What's the real issue with Storm being portrayed as a deep dark brown? We'll wait...
    come on now!!! y'all are making my heart smile so much today
    You better say it!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I don't see how it's tragic in any way either but what I do know is a lot of American black people have personal issues with shades of color. In my family our shade variation is extreme and you have people who will actually ask "Well what happened to you?" when I was growing up referring to me being the darkest. We range from a milk color to me being a chocolate color.
    It's like that in my family too. My middle sister is high yellow, while I am my parents darkest child. It took me a while to feel comfortable in my skin. And I love the Storm's beauty is played up because of her deep brown, blue-black skin. And I'll make no apologies about that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Personally I think it has something to do with house slaves vs field slaves and the ability to hide your blackness. Taught self-hate.
    This point cannot and should not be swept under the rug. These effects are very much at play even still today. I can't help but roll my eyes at the folks that don't get it. I don't want to be dismissive, but the fact that some don't get it leads me to believe that missed the ENTIRE point and nothing I say will help them. Oh well...

Yes I agree.

Monet as well.
    And Bishop too.

This point cannot and should not be swept under the rug. These effects are very much at play even still today. I can't help but roll my eyes at the folks that don't get it. I don't want to be dismissive, but the fact that some don't get it leads me to believe that missed the ENTIRE point and nothing I say will help them. Oh well...
    Some people don't get it because they don't want to get it. It's easier to ignore the problem than deal with it head on.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

3/4 of last year's New Mutant's casting has come true (McAvoy, Taylor-Joy, Williams). So maybe Storm is in New Mutant's after all.

Not the best at coloring but ladies and gentlemen. Blue!
    Attachment 49249
    Last edited by jwatson; 05-11-2017 at 03:53 PM. Reason: lightened the eyes and made more cat like
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

BANNED

I've always known Storm to be light Brown......I don't like the Dark Skin tone. (LOL this is coming from a Light Skinned Jamaican)

Quote Originally Posted by stormphoenix View Post
    I've always known Storm to be light Brown......I don't like the Dark Skin tone. (LOL this is coming from a Light Skinned Jamaican)
    Umm. I don't even know what to say.