• Gentle

7 21.88%
  • Loving

1 3.13%
  • the HBIC

14 43.75%
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    Feat wise, I always thought X2 had her doing some amazing stuff but overall I agree.
    My favorite Storm is the first xmen movie. Halle was very beautiful as Storm, we got the best Storm scene and the most popular xmen line

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post

yea the xmen films haven't been kind to either of the xmen save wolverine, magneto, professor x, and mystique. in the regard to storm, the many elements of her origins that made her great imo were stripped. no being worshipped as a goddess, no display of great control of her power before coming an xmen, no real exploration of the death of her parents and her time was a thief in Cairo. the fox studios dropped the ball tremendously and I don't think it was a coincidence that the only strong, independent, black woman (who should have mirrored the strength of WW in her movie) on the xmen reduced to side dressing.

apocalypse should have been the correction to the total disregard she has received in the movies. however when I saw that she was worshiping mystique and needed apocalypse to unlock her full potential after which she was barely able to blow a car, lol, I knew this was by far worst than anything shown of her in the xseries before the "reboot" and this would be the precedent of how she would be characterized moving forward.

l
    Exactly. I had high hopes about Storm finally being portrayed well in Apocalypse. I expected to not just see her as a Cairo thief but also to meet her Egyptian master, hear about her parent's death and her claustrophobia, and maybe even her briefly visiting her mother's homeland or at least planning to. Little did I realize, they wouldn't even get Ororo's hair right (never mind the eyes). I didn't really have faith in her role in New Mutants. She'll probably be quoting Mystique to the students especially now that we know Mystique will be in the next X-Men film as well.

I also wished she had a better wardrobe in the movies. Not that her street clothes are bad, but I miss 70s/80s Storm dressed in beautiful evening gowns with festive hairdos, especially the Dave Cockrum looks. Each look was uniquely crafted and only 'Ro could pull them off.

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    My favorite Storm is the first xmen movie. Halle was very beautiful as Storm, we got the best Storm scene and the most popular xmen line
    I know people hate on her accent and wig there, but I didn't mind either. But I always liked Ororo with long hair and every movie after that just shortened it more and more.

Most popular? More like infamous

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Lol, I was about to say the same thing. I actually kinda like it though because even if people don't remember anything else about the X-Men movies, they usually remember this line which keeps Storm somewhat relevant.

In some ways X1 was the best. Halle tried to do an accent, so that alludes to her being from somewhere else. Her wardrobe also alluded to a worldly sense of self. They even had her teaching classes with all the plants behind her(evocative of her Claremont-era attic room). So there are some touches.

Her costume is the most comic accurate of all of them, in that it could easily be a version of her Jim Lee or Aussie looks. But I just can't accept lines like "I can't control it like that." or "-because I am afraid of them.[humans]" being among her very scant dialog, hence defining the character. Where is Storm, MISTRESS OF THE ELEMENTS? Where is Storm the leader? Where is Storm the bold? Why did she let Sabretooth choke her half to death, until Cyke opened the roof? Sure, she does take down Toad after he's been kicking the entire team's asses all movie, but that stupid line, and the fact that she got her butt whupped so thoroughly before being able to overpower him(after the jankiest wire-work float **** I've ever seen) is just ridiculous. 1984 Storm could beat that Toad without her powers, just in terms of hand to hand.

I want an X-Men film franchise that uses continuity, that builds characterization over the course of films(like the comics do). Even with their best characters(Logan, Erik, Charles, and Mystique), they don't actually evolve them; they really just do the same thing over and over again(Quicksilver is the epitome of this phenomena). Fox is sitting on the most socially relevant superhero franchise with the best continuity and they are completely wasting it with the same predictable garbage instead.

You can do Disney princess Ororo, with a tragic Aladdin childhood and Lion King/Elsa teen years. You can do social justice warrior Ororo, feeding the people and averting natural disasters. She is beautiful, powerful, can kick butt and sing/dance when she wants to. She's big sister. Student. Rival. Leader. Lover. Hero. It would be so easy to put her on screen in compelling ways that would animate audiences, and yet they choose not to. For 17 years they have chosen not to.
    Last edited by yogaflame; 09-13-2017 at 10:31 PM.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Maybe in your place/country.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    In some ways X1 was the best. Halle tried to do an accent, so that alludes to her being from somewhere else. Her wardrobe also alluded to a worldly sense of self. They even had her teaching classes with all the plants behind her(evocative of her Claremont-era attic room). So there are some touches.

Her costume is the most comic accurate of all of them, in that it could easily be a version of her Jim Lee or Aussie looks. But I just can't accept lines like "I can't control it like that." or "-because I am afraid of them.[humans]" being among her very scant dialog, hence defining the character. Where is Storm, MISTRESS OF THE ELEMENTS? Where is Storm the leader? Where is Storm the bold? Why did she let Sabretooth choke her half to death, until Cyke opened the roof? Sure, she does take down Toad after he's been kicking the entire team's asses all movie, but that stupid line, and the fact that she got her butt whupped so thoroughly before being able to overpower him(after the jankiest wire-work float **** I've ever seen) is just ridiculous. 1984 Storm could beat that Toad without her powers, just in terms of hand to hand.

I want an X-Men film franchise that uses continuity, that builds characterization over the course of films(like the comics do). Even with their best characters(Logan, Erik, Charles, and Mystique), they don't actually evolve them; they really just do the same thing over and over again(Quicksilver is the epitome of this phenomena). Fox is sitting on the most socially relevant superhero franchise with the best continuity and they are completely wasting it with the same predictable garbage instead.

You can do Disney princess Ororo, with a tragic Aladdin childhood and Lion King/Elsa teen years. You can do social justice warrior Ororo, feeding the people and averting natural disasters. She is beautiful, powerful, can kick butt and sing/dance when she wants to. She's big sister. Student. Rival. Leader. Lover. Hero. It would be so easy to put her on screen in compelling ways that would animate audiences, and yet they choose not to. For 17 years they have chosen not to.
    agreed agreed and agreed. as long as fox own the right to xmen I fear I will never see a proper Xmen film on the big screen.

however thst said there are some great fan made films such as mya rain and this one. check it out if you haven't storm does some nice stop here thst shots all over the fox-men version:

BANNED

Can somebody post scans of Bloodstorm in xmb #11?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    So who do you guys think in Marvel can beat Storm? (Outside of the obvious cosmic beings and greater)
    Telepathy and elementals are not good characters to pit against Ororo given her heavy resistance to such abilities and the scope of her elemental powers. Super strength characters are generally not good either since Storm can keep them at bay with her winds and finish them off at a distance with her elementals barrages especially her internal attacks.

That said, the powersets with the best chance at taking Ororo down are magic, faster-than-light speed speedsters, and reality controllers, and that is if Storm isn't faster on the draw with her powers.

Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    Telepathy and elementals are not good characters to pit against Ororo given her heavy resistance to such abilities and the scope of her elemental powers. Super strength characters are generally not good either since Storm can keep them at bay with her winds and finish them off at a distance with her elementals barrages especially her internal attacks.

That said, the powersets with the best chance at taking Ororo down are magic, faster-than-light speed speedsters, and reality controllers, and that is if Storm isn't faster on the draw with her powers.
    Actually I agree. Magic, Light speed and reality are all abilities that could take Ororo down.

yea I don't have a problem with the initial ignorance. it's after being schooled and they still arguing against what was demonstrated by canon that it becomes annoying. I also think a lot of it has to do with gender and race.

i agree.

i agree with this as well.
    The bolded is SO true. I understand her portrayal has been dicey at best over the years. However when you have proof in your face that's when I take issue. And most white people, whether they're aware of it or not, seem to have an issue with a black, female character besting a white one female or otherwise. And it has been proven time and time again with these debates. They see the proof of Ororo's feats, have none to combat it with and STILL won't give her the credit.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PattiLaBelleStormfan View Post
    [B]

The bolded is SO true. I understand her portrayal has been dicey at best over the years. However when you have proof in your face that's when I take issue. And most white people, whether they're aware of it or not, seem to have an issue with a black, female character besting a white one female or otherwise. And it has been proven time and time again with these debates. They see the proof of Ororo's feats, have none to combat it with and STILL won't give her the credit.
    Honestly, I don't think it's a racial thing at all. It's simply people are in denial and are stubborn. The people who HATE Storm and her fans are generally the ones that can't accept defeat that their character can be taken down by Storm.

We saw this in the Storm vs Hulk thread they LITERALLY said the the Hulk will resist Storms Gale force winds and FORGET that she can lift you off the ground LOL. I've proven Storms winds can rag doll Hulk. But people are too blinded by their hate for Storm and her fans that they no longer see reason.

I mean seriously. So no it's not a race or color thing they are stubborn period.

Quote Originally Posted by stormphoenix View Post
    Honestly, I don't think it's a racial thing at all. It's simply people are in denial and are stubborn. The people who HATE Storm and her fans are generally the ones that can't accept defeat that their character can be taken down by Storm.

We saw this in the Storm vs Hulk thread they LITERALLY said the the Hulk will resist Storms Gale force winds and FORGET that she can lift you off the ground LOL. I've proven Storms winds can rag doll Hulk. But people are too blinded by their hate for Storm and her fans that they no longer see reason.

I mean seriously. So no it's not a race or color thing they are stubborn period.
    I remember reading something like that where they said she couldn't BFR him because he was too strong.

It's based on weight, not strength. Lifting him with winds should be the easiest thing to do and he can't do anything about it.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Maybe in your place/country.
    Earth/USA....

Quote Originally Posted by stormphoenix View Post

I respectfully disagree because I've seen various other threads with other characters and people DO NOT behave like that. Even in the X-Men world. I've never seen people smack down Magneto the way they do Storm. Nowhere close.