10 31.25%
  • Gentle

7 21.88%
  • Loving

1 3.13%
  • the HBIC

14 43.75%

I think the locs Storm had in X-treme are Sister locs
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE
    GA: "She moves fast"..
    F:"Compared to who?"
    GA:"Hold her!"
    F:"Does it look like I'm not trying!?"

♡♡♡

Vice High Priest ~ CTT

Quote Originally Posted by malachi_munroex View Post
    I think the locs Storm had in X-treme are Sister locs
    Another fun fact, and to celebrate her return, Jean actually braided Storm's hair in that instance.

It's pretty subtle, but Storm actually went into the meeting with her hair down, and exited with the braids.

Incredible Member StormDisciple's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    I know dreds can be clean as well. I've also known people with dreds. I'm just saying visually they don't look clean to me even if they are.
    It's just a hairstyle, if it's kept up then the person doesn't look any less clean then someone with a short buzz cut

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Weather God View Post
    Another fun fact, and to celebrate her return, Jean actually braided Storm's hair in that instance.

It's pretty subtle, but Storm actually went into the meeting with her hair down, and exited with the braids.
    Thanks for the history lesson boo! All this talk about her not rocking dreads and them looking dirty is just astounding to me.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Jean. Queen of The cosmos and Cosmetology we stan!
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE

♡♡♡

Double Post.
    CHECKMATE

♡♡♡

BANNED

I've seen people with dreads that looked just like the one's Storm sported in the Khan invasion arc. They can definitely look clean too, and identical to braids if they're handled properly. I get that you don't like the look though, and that's fine, but lets please not try to bash other hairstyles that people here may be wearing themselves. I would be pretty offended if I saw a poster here stating that my hairstyle looked unsanitary or made them want to hurl.
    I get what you're saying and I probably could have phrased my position more artfully. The main point to convey, however, is whichever hairstyle a writer and artist choose for Ororo, it should be one with broad appeal. If the book or character is unappealing, it won't sell meaning Storm fans like us won't be able to enjoy the title for very long. I honestly believe that part of the reason Storm's first solo title with Pak tanked was because she looked ugly with that mohawk. By far, I don't think the hair and her physical appearance was the only reason the book failed (too many rehashed stories told for the first few months of the book reliving Storm's "Greatest Hits of the 80s", the lack of appealing villains, the lack of a threat that could pose a threat to Storm in battle, poor marketing, etc), but the way she looked was certainly a contributing factor as well, in my opinion. When trying to market a book to the masses, one has to keep all of these things in mind. You're not going to hold people at gunpoint and tell them that they must buy a book, so the product must appeal to them.

That said, I don't think too many people would object to the hair she had in the Khan story arc if it was drawn to look as well as that artist depicted it. I also think the standard, iconic, long flowing hair she has traditionally sported (and reverted back to after experimenting with a new hairstyle) would be the safest way to go and it really works well for the character's physical appearance.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    Thanks for the history lesson boo! All this talk about her not rocking dreads and them looking dirty is just astounding to me.
    Nobody is saying the dreds/braids she sported in X-Treme X-Men during the "Invasion Arc" looked dirty. Those braids looked NEAT, CLEAN, and BEAUTIFUL. Thing is, how many artists can draw braids that well which (I think) would appeal to the masses of readership? Such a hairstyle can easily be drawn in a way that many readers will find unattractive. You want the book to sell so we can continue to read about our favorite "Weather Goddess", right? If the book tanks, all we are going to get is "Lightning Lass" from the X-Men titles she appears in. Keep the character drawn in a way that will have broad base appeal, tell exciting stories where she kicks butt and takes names fighting MASSIVELY powerful threats/bad guys, and then market the product well. That's how you keep the book going.
    Last edited by rutog98; 10-25-2017 at 03:33 PM.

Vice High Priest ~ CTT

Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    I get what you're saying and I probably could have phrased my position more artfully. The main point to convey, however, is whichever hairstyle a writer and artist choose for Ororo, it should be one with broad appeal. If the book or character is unappealing, it won't sell meaning Storm fans like us won't be able to enjoy the title for very long. I honestly believe that part of the reason Storm's first solo title with Pak tanked was because she looked ugly with that mohawk. By far, I don't think the hair and her physical appearance was the only reason the book failed (too many rehashed stories told for the first few months of the book reliving Storm's "Greatest Hits of the 80s", the lack of appealing villains, the lack of a threat that could pose a threat to Storm in battle, poor marketing, etc), but the way she looked was certainly a contributing factor as well, in my opinion. When trying to market a book to the masses, one has to keep all of these things in mind. You're not going to hold people at gunpoint and tell them that they must buy a book, so the product must appeal to them.

That said, I don't think too many people would object to the hair she had in the Khan story arc if it was drawn to look as well as that artist depicted it. I also think the standard, iconic, long flowing hair she has traditionally sported (and reverted back to after experimenting with a new hairstyle) would be the safest way to go and it really works well for the character's physical appearance.
    I honestly don't believe it failed because of her mohawk, but I do agree with the other points. Lack of promotion and not allowing the book to step outside of the status quo is what killed it. Not sure how much control Pak had in all of that, but there were some things he could've done better. Still, I thought he did a great job overall, along with Ibanez.

But to your other points, I think a better idea would be to cycle through different hairstyles the way they did in X-treme X-men. She went from the long hair, to braids, to short and back again. I believing handling it this way would gives everyone a chance to enjoy all of their favorite hairstyles on the character.

Also, thought I would provide this interesting re-iteration of Storm's goddess look that was shown in X-treme X-men #38

BANNED

But rutog98, Ms Jen Bartel drew Storm's dreads beautifully.

But i get your point. I think, thinking that we got the mohawk on her first ongoing solo and now we're getting dreads on her second ongoing solo, i believe that the long flowing hair should have been prioritized first before any other hairstyle,

However, there's nothing we can do but believe in the awesome team-up of Coates and Bartel, who are both very popular people.

So if they wanted dreads for her second ongoing solo, let's support it all the way. It's not going to be permanent anyway.

And I believe that Coates and Bartel's popularity will already keep Storm's second ongoing solo going. However, we Storm fans and Xmen fans still have to do something to promote/share/inform/encourage everyone about getting every Storm issue.

I hope Oprah Winfrey tweets about Storm's ongoing solo. Halle Berry, Beyonce, Rihanna and Tyra Banks too

BANNED

I honestly don't believe it failed because of her mohawk, but I do agree with the other points. Lack of promotion and not allowing the book to step outside of the status quo is what killed it. Not sure how much control Pak had in all of that, but there were some things he could've done better. Still, I thought he did a great job overall, along with Ibanez.

But to your other points, I think a better idea would be to cycle through different hairstyles the way they did in X-treme X-men. She went from the long hair, to braids, to short and back again. I believing handling it this way would gives everyone a chance to enjoy all of their favorite hairstyles on the character.

Also, thought I would provide this interesting re-iteration of Storm's goddess look that was shown in X-treme X-men #38

First off, she looks awesome and terrifying in the scan that you posted here! That whole "goddess" aura just radiates from the character right off the page in this picture. Thanks for posting it!

Secondly, cycling through hairstyles works too, but I think every do that she wears should be clean, neat, beautiful, and have mass appeal. That's all.

Finally, on the mohawk thing, we will have to agree to disagree. I was complaining about the mohawk from day one when the title was announced and I harped on it throughout the book's run. I think the mohawk looks dreadful on Ororo and I don't think that style has a lot of broad base appeal with readership. Storm is a female character. Beautiful females will sell better than ugly ones. I thought if the book tanked, the way she looked would be a contributing factor to the title's downfall (but certainly not the only or even the biggest factor for the title's lack of success with sales).
    Last edited by rutog98; 10-25-2017 at 04:08 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    But rutog98, Ms Jen Bartel drew Storm's dreads beautifully.

But i get your point. I think, thinking that we got the mohawk on her first ongoing solo and now we're getting dreads on her second ongoing solo, i believe that the long flowing hair should have been prioritized first before any other hairstyle,

However, there's nothing we can do but believe in the awesome team-up of Coates and Bartel, who are both very popular people.

So if they wanted dreads for her second ongoing solo, let's support it all the way. It's not going to be permanent anyway.

And I believe that Coates and Bartel's popularity will already keep Storm's second ongoing solo going. However, we Storm fans and Xmen fans still have to do something to promote/share/inform/encourage everyone about getting every Storm issue.

I hope Oprah Winfrey tweets about Storm's ongoing solo. Halle Berry, Beyonce, Rihanna and Tyra Banks too
    If they go with dreds, of course we'd have to support it. We would have no choice. We'd just cross our fingers and hope that the braids are drawn well and that the hairstyle appeals to a broad range of readers.

I guess I'm looking at the big picture in all of this but I really don't think Storm's hair has anything to do whether people buy her book or not. Some may not buy it just because it's a woman or even a worse mindset a black woman. Marvel takes a good chunk of blame in the first Storm book not doing so hot from just pure lack of advertisement and enthusiasm! I don't think any who's a fan of Storm will neglect the book anyway hell they could send Storm out bald! As long as she's written properly and is given those goddess level feats she desperately deserves I'm fine with it!

Personally I'm fine with everything but the mohawk and only if it's totally bald. The faded mowhak with designs or what have you looks nice if it's done RIGHT!

Bald Storm would show the girls what they had to do. Yes ma'am. Ms. Munroe has goddess level cheek bones. Queen of Bone Structure
    CHECKMATE

♡♡♡

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Son_Of_A_Goddess View Post
    I guess I'm looking at the big picture in all of this but I really don't think Storm's hair has anything to do whether people buy her book or not. Some may not buy it just because it's a woman or even a worse mindset a black woman. Marvel takes a good chunk of blame in the first Storm book not doing so hot from just pure lack of advertisement and enthusiasm! I don't think any who's a fan of Storm will neglect the book anyway hell they could send Storm out bald! As long as she's written properly and is given those goddess level feats she desperately deserves I'm fine with it!

Personally I'm fine with everything but the mohawk and only if it's totally bald. The faded mowhak with designs or what have you looks nice if it's done RIGHT!
    The majority of comicbook readers are males. Males like beautiful female characters. They are turned off by unattractive-looking women. I don't want an ugly Ororo to be compared with a beautifully-rendered Wonder Woman, for instance. Also, you are right that the color of Storm's skin can also be a hindrance for some potential readers. That's just one more reason to make her as visually appealing as possible. A woman's hairstyle weighs in tremendously to her physical appeal. I think Coates and Bartel should try to make every effort to give Storm a beautiful hairstyle that not only flatters her, but appeals to a broad range of potential readers.

Also, I agree with your point about Marvel taking a large chunk of the blame for her title not doing well. There was a lack of enthusiasm on their part and virtually no marking whatsoever.
    Last edited by rutog98; 10-25-2017 at 04:37 PM.