10 31.25%
  • Gentle

7 21.88%
  • Loving

1 3.13%
  • the HBIC

14 43.75%

@rutog98

The majority of comicbook readers are males. Males like beautiful female characters.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as the old saying goes. Anyone who's even a passing fan of Storm doesn't define her by her "goddess locks" or by her mowhawk and I won't deny that they are a striking aspect of her character her hair doesn't define her. With that said I'm seeing this as more of a "them" problem and less of an "our" problem. Completely ignoring the fact that Storm wouldn't give a morlocks ass if a man liked or disliked her hair I don't think any artist or writer should be limited to how they interpret Storm just because something as trivial as hair could be a turn off for some small minded guys who get all hot and stiff over a fictional character.
    I don't want an ugly Ororo to be compared with a beautifully-rendered Wonder Woman
    But that's the thing Wonder Woman for all her status and glory is a dime a dozen in terms of sheer looks. You take away the outfit and lasso and you have a another model for the Payless catalog. Storm on the other hand doesn't have that problem. You know Storm because of her hair (no matter how it's cut) as well as her blue eyes.

A woman's hairstyle weighs in tremendously to her physical appeal.
    Funny thing is I think that's one of the MANY rl problems women face that Storm would try to tackle. I like you rutog98 and I feel you're probably in the top 5 most knowledgeable Storm fans I've ever seen but when discussions like this pop up you seem to place Storm in a box that's labeled 'The only standard of beauty that will work'. Coates and Jen should be able to write and draw Storm how they see fit. If they want to give Storm dreadlocks in a backstory so be it. If they want to give her a mohawk in a flashback issue so be it. If they want Storm to have hair down to her ankles I.E. Astonishing X-men then that's fine to.

Try to make every effort to give Storm a beautiful hairstyle that not only flatters her, but appeals to a broad range of potential readers.
    As I said earlier beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You clearly love when Storm rocks her everflow hair and I'm 100% sure there are others who'd wish she'd cut it or whatever. Point is it's not just you that's going to be buying a book and I'm sorry but I cannot take anyone that serious as a fan of any character when hair makes or break if they are going to purchase and support said character. Something so trivial and can litrally change from issue 1 to issue 2.

We love facts
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE
    GA: "She moves fast"..
    F:"Compared to who?"
    GA:"Hold her!"
    F:"Does it look like I'm not trying!?"

♡♡♡

As I said earlier as long as Coates gives us (and new fans) a kick ass story and Jen continues to give us her beautiful art I don't think the new Storm book will have any issues whatsoever aside from Marvel being a negligent parent.

Oh and also this whole debate while interesting is totally moot as Jen said that the deadlocks picture is just that a picture. Not a cover or a blown up future panel of the comic.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Son_Of_A_Goddess View Post
    @rutog98

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as the old saying goes. Anyone who's even a passing fan of Storm doesn't define her by her "goddess locks" or by her mowhawk and I won't deny that they are a striking aspect of her character her hair doesn't define her. With that said I'm seeing this as more of a "them" problem and less of an "our" problem. Completely ignoring the fact that Storm wouldn't give a morlocks ass if a man liked or disliked her hair I don't think any artist or writer should be limited to how they interpret Storm just because something as trivial as hair could be a turn off for some small minded guys who get all hot and stiff over a fictional character.

But that's the thing Wonder Woman for all her status and glory is a dime a dozen in terms of sheer looks. You take away the outfit and lasso and you have a another model for the Payless catalog. Storm on the other hand doesn't have that problem. You know Storm because of her hair (no matter how it's cut) as well as her blue eyes.

Funny thing is I think that's one of the MANY rl problems women face that Storm would try to tackle. I like you rutog98 and I feel you're probably in the top 5 most knowledgeable Storm fans I've ever seen but when discussions like this pop up you seem to place Storm in a box that's labeled 'The only standard of beauty that will work'. Coates and Jen should be able to write and draw Storm how they see fit. If they want to give Storm dreadlocks in a backstory so be it. If they want to give her a mohawk in a flashback issue so be it. If they want Storm to have hair down to her ankles I.E. Astonishing X-men then that's fine to.

As I said earlier beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You clearly love when Storm rocks her everflow hair and I'm 100% sure there are others who'd wish she'd cut it or whatever. Point is it's not just you that's going to be buying a book and I'm sorry but I cannot take anyone that serious as a fan of any character when hair makes or break if they are going to purchase and support said character. Something so trivial and can litrally change from issue 1 to issue 2.
    1) You are right that the character, Ororo, would not care if somebody else found her attractive or not. She cares only about being true to her own sense of self. That doesn't mean, however, that a writer/artist should ugly her up. Also, I'm not talking about "small-minded guys getting hot and stiff" over a fictional character. Merely, keep the character from being a potential eyesore. Keeping her beautiful to the masses doesn't mean guys getting "hot and stiff" over her.

2) On the Wonder Woman point, I concede that you are right and Diana does look like the standard female archetype character. However, Diana is an icon when it comes to female comicbook heroines. Storm should have a beauty to match or even exceed Diana's looks. Ororo was, afterall, intended by her creator to be the most beautiful and most powerful female in comics. Heck, her name means "beauty". Keep with this theme. Back when she was introduced with her long goddess hair, she did not look like the female stereotype. She still had a very unique look about her in spite of the long hair.

3) I have never stated that I have a problem with Storm having braided hair IF the braids look CLEAN and NEAT. If Coates and Jen want to draw Storm with braids, cool, just make sure it looks nice and appealing. That's all I'm saying. I even told Weather God in my response to him that I don't have a problem with them cycling through various hairstyles with the character as long as the hairdo is neat, clean, and has mass appeal. Regarding the mohawk, however, I think they should stay away from the mohawk not only because its ugly on Ororo, but also because the mohawk signified a phase her character was going through. Just haphazardly throwing a mohawk on the character weakens the original meaning for why she adopted the look in the first place. It also contributes to that whole "rehash" feel that plagued the first half of her last solo and Storm needs to get away from that.

4) Once more, I have NEVER said the long "goddess" hair is the only hairstyle I liked on the character. I loved the braided hair she sported during the "Invasion Arc" over in X-Treme X-Men, which I have stated from my very first post on this topic. I also liked the hairstyle she wore in X-Men issues 60-61, which she had for a while. The long "goddess" hair is standard for the character, though, and it does have broad appeal.

5) I like you, too!
    Last edited by rutog98; 10-25-2017 at 05:42 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by malachi_munroex View Post
    We love facts
    I love facts, too! It would have been nice if he/she had accurately presented my position on said "facts".

Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    That comes across close-minded on your part, actually. To say that everybody must like one particular hair-style or be of a "British Imperialistic" mindset weakens your argument and credibility. Some people like the particular hairstyle in the Storm-rendering I don't care for while others don't. There are some african/african-american hairstyles I do like and some of those that I find appealing are braided, which I have referenced in this thread with pictures. The style shown in the particular Storm-rendering that I did not like was simply not my cup of tea.
    Literally the use of 'dreadful' in the context of locks is the definition of British Imperialism as it relates to the Mau Mau.

Credibility? Wow.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

1) You are right that the character, Ororo, would not care if somebody else found her attractive or not. She cares only about being true to her own sense of self. That doesn't mean, however, that a writer/artist should ugly her up. Also, I'm not talking about "small-minded guys getting hot and stiff" over a fictional character. Merely, keep the character from being a potential eyesore. Keeping her beautiful to the masses doesn't mean guys getting "hot and stiff" over her.

2) On the Wonder Woman point, I concede that you are right and Diana does look like the standard female archetype character. However, Diana is an icon when it comes to female comicbook heroines. Storm should have a beauty to match or even exceed Diana's looks. Ororo was, afterall, intended by her creator to be the most beautiful and most powerful female in comics. Heck, her name means "beauty". Keep with this theme. Back when she was introduced with her long goddess hair, she did not look like the female stereotype. She still had a very unique look about her in spite of the long hair.

3) I have never stated that I have a problem with Storm having braided hair IF the braids look CLEAN and NEAT. If Coates and Jen want to draw Storm with braids, cool, just make sure it looks nice and appealing. That's all I'm saying. I even told Weather God in my response to him that I don't have a problem with them cycling through various hairstyles with the character as long as the hairdo is neat, clean, and has mass appeal. Regarding the mohawk, however, I think they should stay away from the mohawk not only because its ugly on Ororo, but also because the mohawk signified a phase her character was going through. Just haphazardly throwing a mohawk on the character weakens the original meaning for why she adopted the look in the first place. It also contributes to that whole "rehash" feel that plagued the first half of her last solo and Storm needs to get away from that.

4) Once more, I have NEVER said the long "goddess" hair is the only hairstyle I liked on the character. I loved the braided hair she sported during the "Invasion Arc" over in X-Treme X-Men, which I have stated from my very first post on this topic. I also liked the hairstyle she wore in X-Men issues 60-61, which she had for a while. The long "goddess" hair is standard for the character, though, and it does have broad appeal.

5) I like you, too!

1) But in your vision her having dread is a potential turn off to new readers of the character. To me if anyone sees a black woman with white hair (again no matter how it's cut or done) with blue or white eyes throwing lightning bolts it's going to entice them to at least thump through the issue if nothing else. I get the angle you're coming from but the thing is it's a problematic angle because not only does it box Storm in but it boxes RL woman of color.

And think about it like this if some one does see Storm in an out of the 'norm' hairstyle it could make them curious instead of off putting.

2)But therein lies the problem to society as a whole Ororo will never be as beautiful as Wonder Woman simply because Storm is black. Race will always rear it's ugly head when comparing these two woman it's just a fact. I personally believe that Storm is more beautiful than WW because she's so exotic and can be changed to break the box placed on her. You think for a hot second WW could pull off a mow-hawk without it being world war 3? WW is locked in a box with the same look. All the proof you need is in her recent history with the revamp of DC comics. Instead of revamping WWs style they just gave her a new costume (3 or 4 actually IIRC).

3) Yea but this is going back to my original point. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! What's "clean and neat" to you might be considered ugly by someone else. People are finicky like that man.. Humans we're all one giant hot mess lol. On the mowhawk part I can agree that it's overused and if I had a choice I wouldn't have it in the book.

4) I didn't say that was the only hairstyle you liked only that it's your default "good" hair. Which I freely admit is breathtaking when done right and used artistically but then again the same can be said for other styles to.

Incredible Member PhoenixStudies's Avatar

Exclamation

The majority of comicbook readers are males. Males like beautiful female characters. They are turned off by unattractive-looking women.
    Well, one of my favorite Jeans is Frank Quitely’s version. My Jean is a frump!

Mighty Member

So much cognitive dissonance in this thread. Who ever stated that the mutancy as a minority metaphor completely escapes many x man fans, but especially Storm fans, hit the
    nail on the damn head!!!

Also as someone who has locs for over 10 year, I can objectively say my hair is way cleaner than yours ever could be. The unmitigated gall has me feeling some type of way.

Anyway, Storm and Bloodstorm aka Not really Storm appear in Blue.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Literally the use of 'dreadful' in the context of locks is the definition of British Imperialism as it relates to the Mau Mau.

Credibility? Wow.
    Yikes! When I responded to your post earlier, it was without reading what you had posted beforehand. That was a good history lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by Jalysia View Post
    Anyway, Storm and Bloodstorm aka Not really Storm appear in Blue.
    I thought she died?

Quote Originally Posted by Son_Of_A_Goddess View Post
    I thought she died?
    So did Storm in Gold, but it's actually a simulation. She and all the "dead" X-Men were put in sleeping pods.

Quote Originally Posted by Jalysia View Post
    So did Storm in Gold, but it's actually a simulation. She and all the "dead" X-Men were put in sleeping pods.
    Ohh ok. Thanks for the info!

BANNED

So excited for the Storm focused issue by Guggenheim.