10 31.25%
  • Gentle

7 21.88%
  • Loving

1 3.13%
  • the HBIC

14 43.75%
    BANNED

BBeryan provided as a history of dreadlocks though and how can you get it naturally.

I think we should identify first what kind of dreads do you actually have.

Because rutog98 may be referring to a specific kind of dreads.

Spectacular Member

I'm quite quite busy these days.Sorry!
    Could you please post bartel's potential pictures of Storm?I can' log in twitter

Quote Originally Posted by BBeeryan View Post
    It's sad you feel that way. This is the Storm appreciation thread. Because Storm's character encompasses all of those subjects, it's only right to tackle them here, head on. Please don't shy away from the discussion. I feel that does more harm than not bringing it up all together.
    My impression from reading the post is that people aren't seeking to understand the other's point of view; they are looking to reply and justify their own viewpoint. That's non-value added discussion for me so I tend not to engage.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    Yes, don't ever shy away from anything that makes you uncomfortable when there are people willing to have an honest discussion and accept when they're right or wrong. I'd say most people here fit that criteria, and you (BBeeryan) and I had a misunderstanding but we got past that through communication. I dunno, I don't want people to feel like they can't share things.
    Honestly, I have uncomfortable conversation all of the time at work and in the volunteer community service that I do. I don't come here for more of the same. This is supposed to be enjoyment for me. When it's not, I check out. I got too much other stuff going on.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Timberjack View Post
    I'm quite quite busy these days.Sorry!
    Could you please post bartel's potential pictures of Storm?I can' log in twitter
    Just check previous pages. Im on a cellphone so cant post it.

Please post here more often fellow Storm fan.

Spectacular Member

OMG I am so mad. I wrote up this long post and CBR logged me out. So after following the prompt to log back in it totally lost everything I wrote T_T

I like some of the discussion occurring here! I think the "mass appeal" argument is interesting.

I think we need to be mindful in the medium Storm is being portrayed. Marvel comics aren't necessarily built or are the best avenue for a deep character study. Therefore, I do think that Storm (and every Marvel character) is heavily generalized. However, there are 2 factors to consider. One is that while we are making progress with visible diversity in the creative teams, the corporate side of businesses are still predominately run by straight white men. Now that's not to say straight white men cannot advocate for diversity (clearly someone authorized not one but two Storm solo series) but having more diversity in who is making these decisions and determining who is "marketable." Perhaps someone with a different experience would understand how to market to other groups. The 2014 census data for America shows 45.7 million blacks (including mixed.) If someone knew how to market to get 1% of the African American population to buy Storm's comic it would be #1 on the sales charts. The second is that the sheer number of straight white characters allows people to have more options to decide which generalized character they identify with (the patriot upholding American ideals: Captain America, the genius rich playboy: Iron Man, the occasionally awkward geek: Spider Man, etc.) So in my view Storm being generalized isn't necessarily a problem itself as all Marvel comics characters are. The issue is that she is one of the few black females so there are less "options" to choose from so we all want to shape Storm in a way that appeals to us personally. Increasing diversity on the page is important for this reason because then it will allow readers to find someone they click with... even if it is generalized.

Ultimately, I have always viewed Storm as a bridge between several different communities. I would like her to continue doing so. Therefore, I am less inclined to an overly specific "preaching to the choir" story. I am not saying those stories do not have value, but I think they do not thrive in the realm of comic books from Marvel. However, there are universal truths to the character which must be fully acknowledged and embraced. For one, she is a black woman. To try to make her anything else is offensive. Her blackness should not be belittled, dismissed, or altered. However, I think Marvel excels in progressive depictions of characters through powerful imagery. For example, Black Panther helming his own movie is a big deal. The imagery of a powerful king of an advanced nation in Africa is important. The characters are undeniably black and the film finds power in its unapologetic embrace of that. The film embraces the character's background by setting the film in Africa. Now of course we have not yet seen the movie but I doubt the movie is about exploring Black Panther's blackness but instead presents a positive portrayal of black characters through imagery. There is power in seeing a black character depicted doing the things he does. Its similar to the recent Wonder Woman movie. The film acknowledged truths while at the same time was a story made accessible to everyone even if they haven't shared that experience. The film did not make men in the audience feel as though they were being accused. The film didn't do a character study of exploring womanhood but instead presented a positive portrayal of a woman through its imagery and unifying story. That is what I want for Storm. I want her to bring people together and change perceptions of black women. That's why I support her having dreads and changing perceptions of how dreads are viewed. Storm is a regal character. Seeing her wear dreads looking like the elegant woman/queen/goddess she is is empowering. Just the simple act of having her wear dreads is enough because the imagery is important. That's Marvel's strength and the direction I would like to see them go.
    Last edited by TurboTaj; 10-28-2017 at 06:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    They can make a good pairing you know?
    I think the opportunity to make them happen has passed.

Quote Originally Posted by sugarfree View Post
    Looks like a bait. A favor. A token.

Looks like someone was feeling the wrath of fans of how their favorite character has been disgraced, and throw them scraps like dogs to see if that would quell them temporarily.
    Yeah, I don't think Storm will get a good showing here. I might be wrong, who knows?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTaj View Post
    OMG I am so mad. I wrote up this long post and CBR logged me out. So after following the prompt to log back in it totally lost everything I wrote T_T

I like some of the discussion occurring here! I think the "mass appeal" argument is interesting.

I think we need to be mindful in the medium Storm is being portrayed. Marvel comics aren't necessarily built or are the best avenue for a deep character study. Therefore, I do think that Storm (and every Marvel character) is heavily generalized. However, there are 2 factors to consider. One is that while we are making progress with visible diversity in the creative teams, the corporate side of businesses are still predominately run by straight white men. Now that's not to say straight white men cannot advocate for diversity (clearly someone authorized not one but two Storm solo series) but having more diversity in who is making these decisions and determining who is "marketable." Perhaps someone with a different experience would understand how to market to other groups. The 2014 census data for America shows 45.7 million blacks (including mixed.) If someone knew how to market to get 1% of the African American population to buy Storm's comic it would be #1 on the sales charts. The second is that the sheer number of straight white characters allows people to have more options to decide which generalized character they identify with (the patriot upholding American ideals: Captain America, the genius rich playboy: Iron Man, the occasionally awkward geek: Spider Man, etc.) So in my view Storm being generalized isn't necessarily a problem itself as all Marvel comics characters are. The issue is that she is one of the few black females so there are less "options" to choose from so we all want to shape Storm in a way that appeals to us personally. Increasing diversity on the page is important for this reason because then it will allow readers to find someone they click with... even if it is generalized.

Ultimately, I have always viewed Storm as a bridge between several different communities. I would like her to continue doing so. Therefore, I am less inclined to an overly specific "preaching to the choir" story. I am not saying those stories do not have value, but I think they do not thrive in the realm of comic books from Marvel. However, there are universal truths to the character which must be fully acknowledged and embraced. For one, she is a black woman. To try to make her anything else is offensive. Her blackness should not be belittled, dismissed, or altered. However, I think Marvel excels in progressive depictions of characters through powerful imagery. For example, Black Panther helming his own movie is a big deal. The imagery of a powerful king of an advanced nation in Africa is important. The characters are undeniably black and the film finds power in its unapologetic embrace of that. The film embraces the character's background by setting the film in Africa. Now of course we have not yet seen the movie but I doubt the movie is about exploring Black Panther's blackness but instead presents a positive portrayal of black characters through imagery. There is power in seeing a black character depicted doing the things he does. Its similar to the recent Wonder Woman movie. The film acknowledged truths while at the same time was a story made accessible to everyone even if they haven't shared that experience. The film did not make men in the audience feel as though they were being accused. The film didn't do a character study of exploring womanhood but instead presented a positive portrayal of a woman through its imagery and unifying story. That is what I want for Storm. I want her to bring people together and change perceptions of black women. That's why I support her having dreads and changing perceptions of how dreads are viewed. Storm is a regal character. Seeing her wear dreads looking like the elegant woman/queen/goddess she is is empowering. Just the simple act of having her wear dreads is enough because the imagery is important. That's Marvel's strength and the direction I would like to see them go.
    That just happened to me too. I'm about to attempt to recreate it now. Something told me to copy and paste the whole thing before I hit submit.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormrocks View Post
    My impression from reading the post is that people aren't seeking to understand the other's point of view; they are looking to reply and justify their own viewpoint. That's non-value added discussion for me so I tend not to engage.

Honestly, I have uncomfortable conversation all of the time at work and in the volunteer community service that I do. I don't come here for more of the same. This is supposed to be enjoyment for me. When it's not, I check out. I got too much other stuff going on.
    You make some good points. Hopefully you don't have to deal with this too often on here.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by stormphoenix View Post
    Destroy whatever that doesn’t work or hinders the community from growing. Then we start anew. A community is strong when EVERYONE is on the same page.
    I couldn't agree more. That's exactly why I feel the need to enlighten these people.
    Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    I cannot agree with that sentiment. The way you make this assertion is too absolute. While I agree I could have worded my preference for hairstyles other than certain dread styles better, to say that because somebody may think that a particular hairdo looks "unclean" to them means they are a victim of racism as an absolute truth is not so. You will never find a black person who likes every single african/african-american hairstyle. If a black person tells me that they like every single black hairdo or that they don't find any black hairstyle "gross", I won't believe them. This is the same with any race, to be honest. I have had plenty of whites tell me about certain hairstyles other whites wear that they find "gross" or "unclean" looking...and these are hairstyles mostly worn by whites. People have personal preferences and they react to things in their own unique way. Some may be motivated by a form of racism that can color their views, but not every case can be blanketed like that.

When I made my statement earlier, I wasn't thinking about the fact that some people on here may wear the style. At the time, I was merely thinking of it on Storm, a fictional character and about some of the rumors floating around about Bob Marley. There are some who say Bob Marley had a lot of different bugs in his hair. Of course, there are others who refute such claims about Marley and the hairstyle. So, I probably stepped on some toes in the way I phrased my dislike for the hairstyle. When a person looks at a hairstyle like this: http://www.bobmarley.com/wp-content/...03322259_n.jpg, to be honest, it can lead one to wonder, "How in the world do you keep that clean?" There are blacks who have voiced such a question and these are people who are comfortable with themselves (in other words, they aren't some bad words I don't want to type on here). However, to be fair, when that question is posed, its usually done with a tone that reflects a dislike for the style rather than trying to find out how its kept clean. Personally, I genuinely wondered myself for a while. I keep my hair with a very low buzz cut so I don't have to spend too much time on it.
    I know you disagree. And that's why I said it's by design. It's not an accident. And you're not to blame, yet. Once you know better it's up to you what you do with that information.

You made statements about Storm's hair needing to be free flowing or somehow more "aesthetically pleasing." You also made a point to imply that these things would make her more "relatable" or that this was the key to having "mass appeal" and would somehow save her book from "tanking." These are your words and the implications behind them. I'll explain further why your logic as no real world application unless your a victim of racism (white supremacy).

Your idea that "free flowing" hair is somehow more "aesthetically pleasing" or more relatable to the "widest audience" (ie appealing to as many people as possible), is a lie perpetuated in the attempt to stop white genetic destruction better known as racism (white supremacy). Do you get where I'm going? No? Let me explain further.

THE OVERWHELMING MAJORITY OF THE PEOPLE HERE ON PLANET EARTH HAVE THE PROPENSITY TO PRODUCE MELANIN AND CURLY HAIR ( TO VARING DEGREES). My point being, it is an out and out lie that straight hair is somehow "more aesthetically pleasing" or more people can identify with that visual. That is a lie perpetuated in the attempt to stop white genetic destruction better known as racism (white supremacy).

It is a #FACT THAT THE OVERWHELMING MAJORITY OF THE PEOPLE HERE ON PLANET EARTH HAVE THE PROPENSITY TO PRODUCE MELANIN AND CURLY HAIR. This means that only a small percentage (minority) of the the Earths population has long, bone straigh, free flowing hair. So the MAJORITY cannot identify with that further proving that the idea of that look having "mass appeal" (or the ability to appeal to the widest audience possible) is a total and complete lie. And it's perpetuated in the attempt to stop white genetic destruction better known as racism (white supremacy). This is a #FACT.

The reasons you can't understand these truths is not an accident. It's by design. Please tell me this isn't lost on you?
    Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    To be honest I have never had a conversation discussing someones hairstyle and saying it was unclean. Nor have I heard a conversation like this before Ifind the comment very bizzare. And agree with BBreeyan that a comment like that is probably due to some sort of social brainwashing

Exactly. There's a reason for this. This isn't my opinion. And it's also why even though my posts were reported, they're still up. This can all be proven by any true accounting of the #FACTS.
    Last edited by BBeeryan; 10-28-2017 at 08:54 AM.

BANNED

I know it's hard for a lot of us to do but maybe we can stop talking about something negative . If it's ok with y'all.

Anyway i prefer Rogue and Storm bondin than Jean and Storm bonding.

I wanna ask fellow Storm fans who do y'all like more. Rogue or Jean? and why.

BANNED

Ill start. I prefer Rogue most especially because of their great chemistry as superheroines in xmen tas. In the xmen into, you'll see the only two of them flying. My most memorable moment between the two was when they were horse riding.

Also Rogue has white hair. Hehehe.

And both of their powers complement each other.

I also love Rogue sporting the mohawk.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    Yeah, I don't think Storm will get a good showing here. I might be wrong, who knows?
    That’s why I said Guggenheim hates Storm. He hasn’t done anything worth while let alone interesting or development with Storm.
    A cover doesn’t exactly mean that whatever happens on that cover is going to happen in the book.
    (Had to learn that the hard way) LOL

IM willing to bet Storm isn’t going to be doing anything. But since you guys think this one book is about Storm written by a guy who seems to not care then........OK.

I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt(LOL)

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by BBeeryan View Post
    That just happened to me too. I'm about to attempt to recreate it now. Something told me to copy and paste the whole thing before I hit submit.
    lol No worries! Its kind of annoying how quickly you are automatically logged out. Come on CBR let us have some time to formulate our thoughts!!! But then again I have a tendency to write long rants so maybe this is a sign for me to shut the hell up hahaha

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTaj View Post
    lol No worries! Its kind of annoying how quickly you are automatically logged out. Come on CBR let us have some time to formulate our thoughts!!! But then again I have a tendency to write long rants so maybe this is a sign for me to shut the hell up hahaha
    Lmao that's me too. I tend to get in my feelings a lot when it comes to Storm. I try not to get too worked up. My fanaticism gets the better of me too often. I need to change my ways lol