• Gentle

7 21.88%
  • Loving

1 3.13%
  • the HBIC

14 43.75%
    Vice High Priest ~ CTT

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Think about a newly manifest telepath. Do they have to 'work to make a connection' to minds? No. They are automatically attuned to all minds in their vicinity, and it often overwhelms them(but not always, depending on the psychology and environment of the telepath in question). It is through time/training that they are able to tamper down that connection and select exactly which mind they want to interface with, and at what depth. Ororo's psychology was incredibly robust by the time she manifested due to her very traumatic youth that she worked hard to overcome during her thieving days, and she was not in a house with angry siblings and parents, she was in the vast open plains of the Sahara when her powers first manifest, so instead of being bombarded by chaotic thoughts, she slipped into the gentle embrace of the atmospheric mind(further moderated by her childhood conditioning from her mother that she was from a line of priestess/queen, and the actual epigenetic memories of her ancestors)/mother earth/the Goddess. She was just lucky to interface with a better mind, with better psychological preperation.

Even still, however, Ororo had to cultivate a very particular personality and temperament to prevent her powers from flaring out of control in accordance with her own internal emotional stress, and this is something she has not 100% mastered even to this day(as evidenced in her recent solo in several instances, for example).

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Weather God View Post
    yahhh!!! hey boo welcome back and stop being gone for so long!! what are your thoughts on this discussion?

and awesome find. Ororo acknowledges here the process of blocking thoughts out and focusing her will are similar. However, I'm not sure I'm seeing this as being evidence that ororo manipulated weather she is directly linked to is the same as a telekinetic forcefully moving forks as shown by jean.
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 12-07-2017 at 04:10 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Yassss! Someone remembers!
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

BANNED

Think about a newly manifest telepath. Do they have to 'work to make a connection' to minds? No. They are automatically attuned to all minds in their vicinity, and it often overwhelms them(but not always, depending on the psychology and environment of the telepath in question). It is through time/training that they are able to tamper down that connection and select exactly which mind they want to interface with, and at what depth. Ororo's psychology was incredibly robust by the time she manifested due to her very traumatic youth that she worked hard to overcome during her thieving days, and she was not in a house with angry siblings and parents, she was in the vast open plains of the Sahara when her powers first manifest, so instead of being bombarded by chaotic thoughts, she slipped into the gentle embrace of the atmospheric mind(further moderated by her childhood conditioning from her mother that she was from a line of priestess/queen, and the actual epigenetic memories of her ancestors)/mother earth/the Goddess. She was just lucky to interface with a better mind, with better psychological preperation.

Even still, however, Ororo had to cultivate a very particular personality and temperament to prevent her powers from flaring out of control in accordance with her own internal emotional stress, and this is something she has not 100% mastered even to this day(as evidenced in her recent solo in several instances, for example).

1) Telepaths don't have to connect with a mind to hear stray thoughts. Again, think of telepaths as anntenas that pick up stray thoughts instead of radiowaves. When a telepath's powers first manifests itself, it picks up all of the stray thoughts around them. They have to build mental shields to keep out such thoughts. Telepaths don't "get attuned" with the minds of others to hear stray thoughts. You are trying to use language associated with Ororo's powers to explain telepathy and taking things out of context.

2) To the bold, nowhere in canon has that been stated to be the reason why her control over her powers were so profound from the start and nowhere does it state this having anything to do with her power control period. Storm's powers work differently from a telepath's. Again, Ororo's powers are hinged on her communion with the forces she controls which works through her physical and spiritual bond with the universe around her.

3) Regarding your last paragraph, it has nothing to do with mastery over powers, but a simple mastery over her emotions because of her innate link to the environment around her which echoes her emotions.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    and awesome find. Ororo acknowledges here the process of blocking thoughts out and focusing her will are similar. However, I'm not sure I'm seeing this as being evidence that ororo manipulated weather she is directly linked to is the same as a telekinetic forcefully moving forks as shown by jean.
    You are showing your lack of comprehension.

Jean accidentally read Ororo's mind, that she was about to say she wanted silverware. Jean has to concentrate to harness her telepathy like Ororo has to concentrate to control her powers(lest they rage out of control!). Jean and Ororo both have parallel arcs about their powers going beyond their control(Dark Phoenix and RogueStorm, respectively). They are two sides of the same coin, which is why Ororo is able to harness Emma's telepathy with concentration.

BANNED

Glad to see you back!

That said, this actually backs up my point. Ororo/Emma had to build a wall to not hear the stray thoughts of other people around her. It doesn't say she has to "get attuned to the minds around her to hear their thoughts" like Yogaflame was trying to claim. Again, telepaths work as anntenas that pick up stray thoughts of others.

Vice High Priest ~ CTT

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    yahhh!!! hey boo welcome back and stop being gone for so long!! what are your thoughts on this discussion?
    I read these forums all the time, but I think most of what I'm thinking has pretty much been said at some point or another.

1. Storm's powers affecting the weather inside of Sue's field is certainly possible, as I don't feel her shields keep out all psionic frequencies, even airtight.The fact that she was able to block Jean's tk without making it soundproof is evidence that she doesn't need to make the shields extra dense to block certain frequencies. They either block them or they don't. I've seen telepaths and other psionics breach her shield as well. So it's a toss up. If they work passed the shield, she wouldn't need to drop gamma bomb level attacks in order to break her down. She could do any number of things such as manipulating the pressure in her inner ear to inceasing the temputure inside.

2. I think her powers ARE similar to telepathy(not telekinesis), but they are unique to the energy systems that she is bonded with. She also has other unique aspects that are very different from telepaths as well. She doesn't seem to be limited to not being able to control the forces when she cannot establish a natural bond with them. So I guess in a sense she can force her control over them in a similar fashion as a telekinetic, such as when she wrestled the krakoa storm into submission and forcefully used the elements on dracula's island after they resisted her for example.

rutog, that's enough. Your mind is too frozen in narrow constraints. You can't see the forest for the trees. You can try to separate things and pick apart any little thing as much as you like. I will not engage with you further.

BANNED

rutog, that's enough. Your mind is too frozen in narrow constraints. You can't see the forest for the trees. You can try to separate things and pick apart any little thing as much as you like. I will not engage with you further.
    I'm afraid it is your mind that is too frozen in narrow constraints in trying to narrow Ororo's powers to fit in the mold of a telepath/telekinetic. I agree that it is likely pointless for us to debate further since I don't either will change the other's mind. You are even using language used in canon to describe how Ororo powers works that has never been used in canon to describe the workings of telepathy. Nowhere in canon does it state a telepath has to "get attuned" to another person's mind to hear their thoughts, etc. This is language used to describe Storm's powers adapting to new planets when she travels to one. Its a really desparate ploy to try and equate two powers that are uniquely different.
    Last edited by rutog98; 12-07-2017 at 04:37 PM.

I read these forums all the time, but I think most of what I'm thinking has pretty much been said at some point or another.

1. Storm's powers affecting the weather inside of Sue's field is certainly possible, as I don't feel her shields keep out all psionic frequencies, even airtight.The fact that she was able to block Jean's tk without making it soundproof is evidence that she doesn't need to make the shields extra dense to block certain frequencies. They either block them or they don't. I've seen telepaths and other psionics breach her shield as well. So it's a toss up. If they work passed the shield, she wouldn't need to drop gamma bomb level attacks in order to break her down. She could do any number of things such as manipulating the pressure in her inner ear to inceasing the temputure inside.

2. I think her powers ARE similar to telepathy(not telekinesis), but they are unique to the energy systems that she is bonded with. She also has other unique aspects that are very different from telepaths as well. She doesn't seem to be limited to not being able to control the forces when she cannot establish a natural bond with them. So I guess in a sense she can force her control over them in a similar fashion as a telekinetic, such as when she wrestled the krakoa storm into submission and forcefully used the elements on dracula's island after they resisted her for example.

Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    I'm afraid it is your mind that is too frozen in narrow constraints in trying to narrow Ororo's powers to fit in the mold of a telepath/telekinetic. I agree that it is likely pointless for us to debate further since I don't either will change the other's mind. You are even using language used in canon to describe how Ororo powers works that has never been used in canon to describe the workings of telepathy.
    It's called creativity, and adaptation. Try it sometime.

BANNED

It's called creativity, and adaptation. Try it sometime.
    I prefer to stick with facts rather than head canon. Again, nowhere in canon does it state a telepath has to "get attuned" to another person's mind to hear their thoughts, etc. This is language used to describe Storm's powers adapting to new planets when she travels to one. Its a really desparate ploy to try and equate two powers that are uniquely different.
    Last edited by rutog98; 12-07-2017 at 04:41 PM.

BANNED

I would not say that she could not establish a bond with them, rather that she hit some resistance and was able to overcome that resistance with the strength of her will. Telekinetics, on the other hand, must grab an object with their psychokinetic powers in order to move them. Storm does not work that way. She does so through her willpower and strength of body. Hence, her powers are never described as working the same way as a TP/TK.

Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    I prefer to stick with facts than head canon. Again, nowhere in canon does it state a telepath has to "get attuned" to another person's mind to hear their thoughts, etc. This is language used to describe Storm's powers adapting to new planets when she travels to one. Its a really desparate ploy to try and equate two powers that are uniquely different.
    Resonance(becoming attuned) is precisely how telepathy would have to work. How else can you see into someone's mind?

And if you want some facts, try real science:

ESP AND THE ‘THEORY OF RESONANCE’

https://academic.oup.com/bjps/articl...dFrom=fulltext