• Powerful

10 31.25%
  • Gentle

7 21.88%
  • Loving

1 3.13%
  • the HBIC

14 43.75%

Terrence Howard, an actor with two biracial parents was cast as War Machine first in a Kevin Feige production.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Yeah he was but that was pre Disney. Dark skin men are all over the MCU though. Every MCU hero has a black BFF. I'm talking about the women who aren't in BP
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

Quote Originally Posted by ChildOfTheAtom View Post
    Yeah he was but that was pre Disney. Dark skin men are all over the MCU though. Every MCU hero has a black BFF. I'm talking about the women who aren't in BP
    The entire Disney conglomerate isn't gonna be on the casting board.

Never said they were it's just Gamora, MJ, Liz Allen, Valkryie the 4 prominent women from '17 fit a kind of pattern with casting.

It worries me for Storm
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Reigns View Post
    Do you even understand the words that you're typing?
    Don't get hostile. It doesn't matter if she's dark skinned or light skinned all this talk of "inclusion" but what you want is still an actress that is thin and pretty which is in itself superficial and excludes other actresses. And if your argument is "that's what Storm looks like" ...think about that for a moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Avatar View Post
    I know it's not exclusive to Hollywood and I know other countries experience it. Don't act like this is something that I just learned last week. I'm a dark skinned black woman who has know what colorism was before I even knew there was a word for it.
    Then don't type it like a hipster pushing something they just learned. Sorry, but that's how that came off.

Quote Originally Posted by DurararaFTW View Post
    Terrence Howard, an actor with two biracial parents was cast as War Machine first in a Kevin Feige production.
    He's got mental problems.

It doesn’t matter if the actress is already fanous or not. The important thing is that she is a good actress and has tons of charisma. Charisma appeals to the public and shoots a character to the top and makes them popular. The Chrises were not famous before (minus Evans). Gal Galdot is a nobody before WW. Tom Hiddleston was no one. The actress just need to shine in her scenes and that is enough for the general public to demand more of that character.

Do not underestimate the power of charisma and general appeal.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    Don't get hostile. It doesn't matter if she's dark skinned or light skinned all this talk of "inclusion" but what you want is still an actress that is thin and pretty which is in itself superficial and excludes other actresses. And if your argument is "that's what Storm looks like" ...think about that for a moment.

Then don't type it like a hipster pushing something they just learned. Sorry, but that's how that came off.

Is this really the hill you want to climb? You are deflecting a conversation about race and trying to turn it into a conversation about weight. Yes her skin color matters, that's why it's taken Hollywood decades to do a story like black panther. That's why it's taken decades for the conversation about colorism to happen. I agree that ship shouldn't be attached for taking a job but that doesn't mean she was right for the role. You are literally arguing for Hollywood to keep doing the same thing it's always done, hire light skinned black actresses for big budget films. That's your argument and don't associate a genuine question about your writing to make a point that has nothing to do with the conversation.

Well idk I can't think of any darkskin women in MCU

Edit: Other than Wakanda residents

Like all three love interest types in MCU in '17 are light or brown skin women for example.

Stuff like that worries me for New Storm
    Tbf, those characters are racebent.

A lot of people aren't aware of what colorism is. So if that means I come off as a hipster, then so be it.

Tbf, those characters are racebent.
    I really like your posting style lol.. one sentence get in get out og tactic

I really like your posting style lol.. one sentence get in get out og tactic
    Thanks. I don't post much, but when I do, I like to make a point.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Reigns View Post
    Is this really the hill you want to climb? You are deflecting a conversation about race and trying to turn it into a conversation about weight. Yes her skin color matters, that's why it's taken Hollywood decades to do a story like black panther. That's why it's taken decades for the conversation about colorism to happen. I agree that ship shouldn't be attached for taking a job but that doesn't mean she was right for the role. You are literally arguing for Hollywood to keep doing the same thing it's always done, hire light skinned black actresses for big budget films. That's your argument and don't associate a genuine question about your writing to make a point that has nothing to do with the conversation.
    I don't think you're getting what I'm saying and maybe I'm not expressing the idea that well.

Hollywood is going to cast a good looking, thin actress to play Storm because that's what she looks like. They're going to cast a light skinned woman,...because even in the comics she's colored to be light skinned she always has. Hollywood isn't reading every single issue Storm has ever been in they research a pretty small amount of comics. They go by the storylines not the entire run from 1970-now.

I'm not arguing FOR them to do the same thing...they just ARE going to do the same thing. They aren't going to hire a dark skinned actress anymore than they're going to hire a heavier actress.

It doesn't mean they couldn't hire a heavier dark skinned actress to play Storm. Ultimately a discussion about skin color is as superficial as one about weight. But people aren't saying she should be thick because that's not what she looks like which is the same for her skin color.

I really don't care WHAT she looks like I want Storm written well in a movie in a role where she's the Heart & Soul of the Xmen.
    Last edited by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost; 12-15-2017 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sugarfree View Post
    It doesn’t matter if the actress is already fanous or not. The important thing is that she is a good actress and has tons of charisma. Charisma appeals to the public and shoots a character to the top and makes them popular. The Chrises were not famous before (minus Evans). Gal Galdot is a nobody before WW. Tom Hiddleston was no one. The actress just need to shine in her scenes and that is enough for the general public to demand more of that character.

Do not underestimate the power of charisma and general appeal.
    Gal Gadot was in four Fast & Furious movies before being cast as WW, a ridiculous amount of people watched those movies. She was no nobody anymore.

I don't think you're getting what I'm saying and maybe I'm not expressing the idea that well.

Hollywood is going to cast a good looking, thin actress to play Storm because that's what she looks like. They're going to cast a light skinned woman,...because even in the comics she's colored to be light skinned she always has. Hollywood isn't reading every single issue Storm has ever been in they research a pretty small amount of comics. They go by the storylines not the entire run from 1970-now.

I'm not arguing FOR them to do the same thing...they just ARE going to do the same thing. They aren't going to hire a dark skinned actress anymore than they're going to hire a heavier actress.

It doesn't mean they couldn't hire a heavier dark skinned actress to play Storm. Ultimately a discussion about skin color is as superficial as one about weight. But people aren't saying she should be thick because that's not what she looks like which is the same for her skin color.

I really don't care WHAT she looks like I want Storm written well in a movie in a role where she's the Heart & Soul of the Xmen.
    Storm has been colored various shades, not just light. She's canonically a dark skinned black woman. This isn't just Hollywood who's in charge of the MCU movies, these are people who have read and written comics before. These aren't people who's only exposure to the X-Men was TAS.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DurararaFTW View Post
    Gal Gadot isn't Wonder Woman canonically either, she still wouldn't be if she possessed the facial features Wonder Woman has been portrayed as having for decades. Neither will the actress Disney will cast as Storm be, no matter who it is. That’s not how that word is used.

Yes, after stretches of time where she was claimed as having causiasan features artists wisely doubled down on Storm looking African and Fox would have wise to follow suit in my eyes. It is not the objectively correct approach to Storm however. Storm's full canon origin is less approachable then even Wolverine's, Disney will condense it too. Focusing on Cairo is a way to about, there are better ways, there are worse ways.
    But fans of the character adored Gal as WW as evident from the tons of love and acclaim she received, including on this forum in her appreciations thread. And white women being cast accurately in not equivalent when we are talking about the affects of colorism in Hollywood as it pertains to black women. Fair or lighter skinned women are typically favored when it comes to casting far above dark skinned women. Furthermore, there isn't an outcry from white women saying they can't get roles in Hollywood because they are white. So trying to equate the two if fundamentally incorrect.

Her story doesn't and shouldn't be condensed seeing she is an historically important black woman. Her story is the one that needs to be told and completely because it is very rare that you see a dark-skinned woman of her type of power showcased as such in Hollywood. A great example of this was the complete whitewashing of the gods featured in the Gods of Egypt, which were done as such because black movies don't sale in an international market according to the makers of that movie. But with Storm, Disney has the ability now with this acquisition to get her characterization, her power, and yes her look right because it is important for little dark skinned girls and women to see positive and strong images of themselves reflective in media. Disney being the trumpeter of diversity should understand the need for representation and try to do right by canon that has explicitly stated she is a dark skinned woman. In a medium already saturated with white characters/women and fair skinned black women I don't understand the resistance to want to be as true to the source material as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by ShepardOakenshieldPrime View Post
    We forgive the casting of Hugh Jackman because he NAILED Wolverine, we didn't get that same feeling with Shipp as Storm or at least I didn't. If she did nail her then maybe not as many people would want her to leave but at the end of the day she should, because this is Storm were talking about. We're not talking about a random black character from a book that would only serve a few lines in a movie. We're talking about the first major black female superhero in all of comics, the first black character to join the X-Men and the first black woman to lead a team.

Storm set the curve for black characters, and the actress chosen to represent her are representing much more than a fictional character.
    Exactly. Storm isn't just some run of the mill character and anyone who reduces her to that don't understand her character and the impact she has had. She is arguably just as important as WW as it relates to feminism, colorism, and identity as it relates to the LGBTQ communities.

Quote Originally Posted by ShepardOakenshieldPrime View Post
    Marvel-Feed on Tumblr said that X-Men: Dark Phoenix is likely the last movie we'll see made by Fox, so again whatever plans Fox may have had are now gone, that includes Shipp as Storm. Although I don't know how reliable that source is.
    I hope you are correct that she and the rest of the cast will be gone after this movie and I hope it doesn't do well. I won't be seeing it.

Quote Originally Posted by pitbull in a skirt View Post
    Dark skinned Black actresses that could play Storm

Antoinette Robertson
    Ashley Blaine
    Tika Sumpter
    Rutina Wesley
    Ryan Destiny
    Diamond White
    Aja Naomi King
    Yaya DaCosta
    Dewanda Wise
    Teyonah Parris
    Kerry Washington
    Nicole Beharie
    Sonequa Martin Green

Her name is Dewanda Wise. She's stunning

She's gorgeous and yes thanks for this list. There is a huge well of actresses that are out there that could play Storm and be reflective of how she is canonically shown in the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by pitbull in a skirt View Post
    Most people were not attacking Alexandra on Twitter. She blocked everyone who politely explained colorism and the popular colorist practice of casting black women in Hollywood (which says a lot about her as a person).

Pointing out Shipp is half white is not "erasing her blackness". Acknowledging that she is biracial is not wrong. Storm is not biracial.

An extremely large amount of black female representation in the media in general are by light skinned biracials (even in commercials of black families the females are somehow biracial). Notice that this is not the case with black males? No one would suggest Jesse Williams play Black Panther or Shemar Moore play John Stewart. Yet asking the same for black female characters and people go into extreme defense mode.
    BY THE GODDESS!!! Yes there is nothing but truth in this post!!!

Storm has been colored various shades, not just light. She's canonically a dark skinned black woman. This isn't just Hollywood who's in charge of the MCU movies, these are people who have read and written comics before. These aren't people who's only exposure to the X-Men was TAS.
    Yes and I've posted at least two different examples from canon showing her being described as such. The whitewashing of characters have got to stop and this is the perfect opportunity to do so.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!