• Gentle

7 21.88%
  • Loving

1 3.13%
  • the HBIC

14 43.75%
    Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post

you are absolutely incorrect about her skin tone. 616 canon states she is dark skinned

Attachment 59437

I give Shipp credit for doing her homework but reading a character doesn't mean she has done the character justice. She is acting, attempting to be Storm, when she should just be her. Gal Gadot is WW, Hugh Jackman is Wolverine, Shipp isn't Storm. And as unfortunate as some of the comments were they doesn't negate the message those who were being respectful were conveying about the idea of colorism (which she disregarded and said she didn't want to discuss because it's stupid and storm is a fictional character). this demonstrates she lack the maturity or just doesn't care to discuss the bigger issue which is colorism is a big thing in hollywood and she benefited from it. And her not being storm goes beyond her skin tone. The acting is mediocre and her origin stories in the movie was butchered beyond repair.

Where did I ever deny that in 616 cannon that she wasn't dark skinned? You read my message wrong sir. I SAID that even if Storm had been cast dark skinned in the movies,she still would have had a bad portrayal based on the writers/director. She would have maybe had a more physical similar appearance to comic book storm,but she would have still gotten those very far and few in-between lines that Halle had. I just had to clear that up. Lol and how tf is she blue black,but the colorist made her milk chocolate brown in that VERY panel(but okay I guess..lol). This is the stuff im talking about. Storm has been drawn/colored so many different shades of brown throughout the years that i dont personally care anymore. As long as I know she is Black and portrayed by a Black actress(a good one). Also yes I do want her darker than Shipp and Berry,but even if Disney gets a darker actress and that said actress is STILL trash, or her lines are rubbish then what is the use of crying over the appearance of the character....?

^

This panel really spoke to me. Storm at the end of day while created with dark skin still had long straight white/platinum hair and blue eyes with very eurocentric features . Even her origins were a bit of a stereotype and a dig at Africans. I try not to go deeper into it or get upset because i still love her background(personally),and I have to keep in mind the era and the type of men who made these comics back then...buttttt yeah. My original point on this topic, is that this got blown way out of proportion. These random ratchets should have never been attacking the actress like that or questioning her Blackness. She had EVERY RIGHT to go on a mf blocking spree,because i would too. She wasn't trying to be disrespectful,and i am pretty sure she understands colorism,and she did admit that she is not the best with her words. She is young asf. Stop backing innocent people into a corner. Technically if anyone wants to be mad at anyone for casting light skinned Ororo...then direct your anger and frustration toward the casting crew and directors.Yes Storm is very important to the culture,but she is still at the end of the day a fictional character ,and no ones feelings should be hurt over it in real life.

Most people over here are causing an uproar based on what she looks like,more so than the acting ability of next actress who steps forward to the mantle(IF there is even a recast)

End/

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Son_Of_A_Goddess View Post
    Honestly if they can find a darker skinned actress who can ACT and has a PRESENCE and looks bomb with white hair and blue eyes I can forgive if she isn't runway tall since that can easily be corrected with proper camera angles.

I like Shipp as well and she genuinely seems like a nice woman but she's not right for Storm. Hell a reason they picked Sophie for Jean because they knew she could pull off 'darkness' due to her work in Game Of Thrones. I agree with butterflykyss in that I'm tired of seeing this petite little mocha Storm running around waiting for orders and holding an umbrella. Give me a GODDESS already for fu^ks sake!

Oh and bullying is bad period.
    I agree with everything you just said my friend.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by StephenFoxMonster View Post
    Some of Alexandra's responses were a mess and I believe her brother tried to say that Storm was a mix raced woman at one point, so he is clearly dealing with wrong information, but the people coming at her for playing a dream role for any black actor is not right. Say what you will about her, she at least tried to be true to the character by cutting her hair bald for the mohawk look and giving us a consistent accent. I say this as someone who can't wait for the recast because I would also like a dark skin Storm. The attacks on people's skin color, especially within our community has got to stop.

Exactly! It be ya own people..I tell ya
    smh

BANNED

ok since that topic just veered into the territory of absurd I'm moving on. all this news, solo and now Disney have the xmen this is a great time to be a storm fan!
    Ok Agreed, who cares.

On to actual Storm.

I hope we get to see Storm slay in the MCU much sooner rather than later.

And I'm just over here reading the posts in this thread like...

Last edited by nj06; 12-15-2017 at 03:54 PM.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Amazing Member

^

Same sis

Quote Originally Posted by ChildOfTheAtom View Post
    Suggested her couple pages back. She'd be great
    She favors a young Lauryn Hill. There are a lot of actresses I think would make a great Storm but I think its Ryan that would look the most stunning with the white hair.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

My only knock on her is she looks extremely young.

Most MCU women are 27-29 when cast. I think she's like 22.

We need to pay attention during award season that's when MCU scoops talent (Brie Larson)
    Last edited by ChildOfTheAtom; 12-15-2017 at 03:59 PM.
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

To those who still try to hate on Storm: BE GONE!

Things are looking better for us Storm fans. Let's hope this momentum continues.

#StormSlays
    #StormIsWinning
    #StormFansRising

We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

We need to pay attention during award season that's when MCU scoops talent (Brie Larson)
    True, but I feel like MCU wont even cast the X-Men until much later anyway (Phase 6?). I have more of a problem with her height (5'5). Its so hard finding actresses who are 5'8 and up.

Her skin tone is important because for far too long dark-skinned girls have been told they are good enough, that they are not pretty enough, that they are not special enough, that you are the least desired woman in all of the world. This can even be supported by the statement you made that audiences don't have a desire to see dark-skinned people. So one it is important because Storm, as a dark-skinned woman, shatters those negative ideas associated with girls/women who are dark. You can be powerful independent of a man, you can be beautiful and desired by all types of people, and you are unique and survive and thrive even when odds are stacked against you. This goes way further than comics and it is one of the reasons why people get so impassioned when such discussions are had. It's time to stop the whitewashing and telling people who are dark that they are somehow not good enough because of that characteristic, and it starts with having conversations like this.

Yes to this all but especially the bolded.
    Exactly.

There's this annoying troll on YouTube who goes by various comic book character names as usernames that I keep seeing on many different videos; they basically keep saying different variations of the same comment; dark skinned black girls are ugly, and they will never be the hot girl or a lead in big movies.

Amazing Member

Do you watch "Star"? Destiny is pretty good. Also I think the MCU X-men should be a little younger,because when the 05 crossed paths with the avengers they were still pretty young. I feel like the Avengers were all grown or at least slightly older.

edit* Thats if they decide to use Storm as one of the 05 and start the X-men off as teen/college aged. but then if they want to link herwith Black Panther later on,the age consistency would be really bad :/ ...hmmm idk
    Last edited by thegoddess; 12-15-2017 at 04:14 PM.

BANNED

ENOUGH of this FOOLISH talk of Color.
    Let us get back to discussing Storm's Solo.

Attachment 59551

Amazing Member

19 year old Diamond White is also a stunner and a young upcoming actress in Hollywood.
    Diamond and Destiny could almost go for sisters tbh.

She played in Madea's "Boo" lol

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Quote Originally Posted by pitbull in a skirt View Post
    True, but I feel like MCU wont even cast the X-Men until much later anyway (Phase 6?). I have more of a problem with her height (5'5). Its so hard finding actresses who are 5'8 and up.
    Yes they are definitely compliling the Storm list now. Probably 1,000 different actresses by now.

As far as height... Most MCU actresses wear shoe lifts. So height shouldn't matter as much. I think they will focus on getting a dark skin woman and can she pull off the accent.

My prediction the Storm actress will be from England.

Quote Originally Posted by thegoddess View Post
    Do you watch "Star"? Destiny is pretty good. Also I think the MCU X-men should be a little younger,because when the 05 crossed paths with the avengers they were still pretty young. I feel like the Avengers were all grown or at least slightly older.
    I see pro's and cons of young or mid 20's X-MEN
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by stormphoenix View Post
    ENOUGH of this FOOLISH talk of Color.
    Let us get back to discussing Storm's Solo.

Attachment 59551
    Agreed

Make Storm the ruler of Trion dimension. Her solo should be otherworldly and take place in a new landscape. Should have nothing to do with the X-men and build off her own myhtos. Bring back Marisol and make her Ororos sidekick (: