• Gentle

7 21.88%
  • Loving

1 3.13%
  • the HBIC

14 43.75%
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PattiLaBelleStormfan View Post
    That actually was Astonishing X-Men and you're right it was a cool run. But in Gold #20 They're on another planet now.
    Oh no no. My apologies. I wasn't clear. I was referring to the Astonishing issue but i also referencing the sequence in World where she was fighting the Dora Milaje using her H2H skills. The rationale was that they were on her so tough and she was so tired she couldn't effectively use her powers. Yes they are on another planet in Gold 20 but in Gold 19 she was using her powers just fine on this alien planet. Why did her powers work on Alien Planet A in issue 19 but not on Alien Planet B in issue 20 it all of the sudden doesn't work? I don't think the reasons you listed would be good enough reasons and I don't think Guggs cares enough about the character to make it reason that is respectable to her established canon but I could be wrong. Very doubtful though.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post

You have no idea of how much restraint I typically show...

I agree, though, in all seriousness, about X-Men Unlimited #1. Sienna Blaze and the rest of the Upstarts were a flash in the pan. No one cares about them or their powers. Lobdell displayed a nauseating amount of ignorance concerning Storm's powers in that issue, so I just discard the whole thing. Storm would never burn up in the cold. I don't care who's been blasting through the EM fields. And why not just have Charles take Blaze out telepathically if she's such a threat? If he can go in her head to amp her powers to full charge, why not just go in her head and turn her powers off?

This was when Bachelo's art was still decipherable, and I will thank him for the only attempt I can recall of any artist/colorist team to actually show the multicolored patterns of energy Ororo perceives when she uses her powers(properly realized onscreen, this is the greatest visual no one has ever done before, just waiting to be unveiled), but that's about as far as I will go in complimenting this issue, even if it was the first comic book I ever read(I bought this and Uncanny #201 in my very first visit to a comic shop).
    Oh wow. So for this to be the first comic you ever read, what issue (if you recall) made you realized how much trash that issue was. I will say the moment with the description of how she see the energies around her was really good imo but as it appeared that Lobdell went out of his way to make her a lot weaker when compared to what Claremont already established so even with the wonderful visual description of how she perceives the energies around her I was still unimpressed. Lobdell's changes to her powers made all of that goodness null and void.

Oh i recognize you show lots of restraint. I saw you let some of it ago when Petty Patty came out after the Fox-men news broke LOLOLOL!!!!
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ororo101 View Post
    Also for anyone interested, this was the missing middle page of the three I posted before in regards to Storm's mini story at the end of Gold's Annual.

She is so right.

#Stormazing

Lobdell just didn't get Storm, and didn't know how to handle a powerful, self-possessed woman like her. Most writers don't/can't. I just saw Dodson did it too, though(the multicolored sky) in her first mini, but it wasn't quite as well executed as the Bachelo version. But yes, even as an 8 year old I could see X-Men Unlimited #1's Storm was bullshit(I had Claremont's powerless Storm in Uncanny #201 to compare to, and TAS's badass on tv).

I'll own up to enjoying the mess of news from Fox yesterday. After these fools hyping that shit up all this time, defending all the poor choices in casting and such, I couldn't help myself!

Last edited by yogaflame; 01-12-2018 at 12:42 PM.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    1) I dismiss the Cyclops and Xavier conversation in the same book because there is a TON of other canon out there that refutes what they said. For the sake of this issue, Storm's powers worked exactly how Xavier said it did. However, that is not the case for all Storm stories and other writers have had a different take on her powers. I don't sit around and just call things PIS randomly because I don't like it. When I call something PIS, its because there are other stories that show Storm to be stronger than what said issue has claimed.

2) Regarding the Blaze thing, she is every bit as powerful as she claimed to be. Notice how the team was fearful of her being able to toss another blast. This is not some empty boast about her power. Furthermore, the issue stated that Sienna's powers were, "...similar in effect, if not in origins to the power of the Phoenix!" as revealed in the scan below:
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-dNEMCTh2Tw...c42/RCO014.jpg

Also, if you read the panel where she talks about how powerful she is, she is speaking very casually and very sanely:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-r_zATjnVV1...c42/RCO038.jpg
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-n9w6z_1eeR...c42/RCO039.jpg

In her very next appearance, Excalibur issue 73, she attempts to kill Nightcrawler by CASUALLY throwing a blast powerful enough to fry Kurt to a crisp with enough power left over to sink Muir Island and half of Scotland Mainland:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/Y5P10_XkcCy...ov9HFslY=s1600

She casually tossed off this blast, in other words, she didn't exert any strain whatsoever to throw a blast this powerful at NC and her only aim was to kill him. So, this blast was nowhere near her full power...which it wouldn't be seeing as how she is strong enough to split the planet like a ripe melon.

3) Sienna has far more raw power than Magneto. He isn't even on the map where her power is concerned. Trying to limit Sienna Blaze by trying to prop up Magneto is silly. The lady is exactly as powerful as she claims to be. Its obvious from everything the issue stated and her following appearance in Excalibur that she's not bragging about her power levels, rather Blaze is just telling it like it is about how powerful she is in a matter-of-fact way.

Not to drag this on any longer since I'm not the biggest fan of Mags or Siena myself, but in terms of raw power in BURSTS siena may have a greater output than Erik. But as for endurance, variation, duration, and experience in the realms of their power go? Siena is not even close, not even a little bit. And I'm only unsure about the raw power output of Magneto's greatest feats which is the only reason she might supersede him there.

But as you guys have said, Siena and the rest of them were one off characters in the long scheme of things and the real fault lie with the writer for portraying Ororo's powers in a manner inconsistent with her previously established limits and durability. As Yoga said, there's no reason to believe that Storm should not be able to perfectly withstand any temperature fluctuation that happens in nature. And I also see why you like to claim the feat as a showing for Ororo because it does show the immense power and control she has over her winds! It's still a great feat, of course. I would just say that she re-directed the force of a character powerful enough to casually sink half of Scotland with a blow. That was something that she actually did on panel as the narrator, outside of the story himself, confirmed. But to put shooting a blast forceful enough to sink Muir Island and half of Scotland ON panel and herself proclaiming that she could split the earth in half like a melon if she tried hard enough are two vastly different things. Sinking half of a 30,000 square mile country and ripping the earth in two through it crust, mantle, core and back through again are feats on entirely different ends of the spectrum when it comes to planetary feats, in my opinion at least.

You raise some good points, here. Yeah, this shows how bad of a writer Lobdell is when you have all of these plotholes in his stories (also, how in the world is Ororo shivering in the cold if she the same issue says she's supposed to get warmer when it gets colder? Boy am I glad all writers ignore this aspect of this story...I hope Guggenheim does the same...). However, in spite of him being a sub par writer, he is still loads better than MOST the x-writers we've had over the last couple of years from Matt Fraction onward.

That said, I still press that in spite of the PIS and plotholes you, me, and others have outlined in all of our past discussions about this issue, there is still a gem to be salvaged from this train wreck of an issue that we Storm fans can use...and I'm gonna use it.

I sadly have to agree, it is sad to think that the inconsistencies portrayed in Lobdell's writing aside he is still far better than some of the shite stories we're being given these days unfortunately.

I sadly have to agree, it is sad to think that the inconsistencies portrayed in Lobdell's writing aside he is still far better than some of the shite stories we're being given these days unfortunately.
    Lobdell was being edited straight out of the gate from Claremont's run, at the height of the popularity of the franchise. He stayed on message, and had a fairly long run compared to modern writers, but he still wasn't a great Storm writer. He did okay with Xavier, Iceman, and Illyana's death story, but overall he was just a pencil pusher, not a real visionary. Even his best works, like Generation NeXt from AoA, have real problems.

Lobdell just didn't get Storm, and didn't know how to handle a powerful, self-possessed woman like her. Most writers don't/can't. I just saw Dodson did it too, though(the multicolored sky) in her first mini, but it wasn't quite as well executed as the Bachelo version. But yes, even as an 8 year old I could see X-Men Unlimited #1's Storm was bullshit(I had Claremont's powerless Storm in Uncanny #201 to compare to, and TAS's badass on tv).

I'll own up to enjoying the mess of news from Fox yesterday. After these fools hyping that shit up all this time, defending all the poor choices in casting and such, I couldn't help myself!

Picturing an 8 year old you side eyeing X-men Unlimited Storm and not buying a lick of it is pretty fantastic hahaha. It's true though! Some of these writers be real delicate sometimes, and a powerful, intelligent, benevolent, badass Queen like Ororo is too much for their fragile sensibilities. Bless their hearts *sips tea*

As for yesterday and the news from Fox, me and the devil on my shoulder were right there with you lol. I was shaking my head at myself, knowing I was just gonna stir the pot but Goddess, I didnt have the strength to resist!

Picturing an 8 year old you side eyeing X-men Unlimited Storm and not buying a lick of it is pretty fantastic hahaha. It's true though! Some of these writers be real delicate sometimes, and a powerful, intelligent, benevolent, badass Queen like Ororo is too much for their fragile sensibilities. Bless their hearts *sips tea*

As for yesterday and the news from Fox, me and the devil on my shoulder were right there with you lol. I was shaking my head at myself, knowing I was just gonna stir the pot but Goddess, I didnt have the strength to resist!

It was just too good to resist!

The people who supported fox-men deserved all the pettiness they got thrown there way. I mean how many times were we told Disney would never get the rights to mutants back? How many times were we told Fox msde better movies?? "Hello, how you are you? Nice to meet you, I'm Karma bitch." So the pettiness was very much deserved and might I say appreciated.

and you were a very enlightened 8 yo to see through the bull. I see yah boo

ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Ororo gonna meet them.in the sequel I bet

The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    The people who supported fox-men deserved all the pettiness they got thrown there way. I mean how many times were we told Disney would never get the rights to mutants back? How many times were we told Fox msde better movies?? "Hello, how you are you? Nice to meet you, I'm Karma bitch." So the pettiness was very much deserved and might I say appreciated.

and you were a very enlightened 8 yo to see through the bull. I see yah boo

Karma checkin in on these FoX-men fans after all this time like Adele! "Hello? It's me. I was wondering if after all these years you'd like to meet."

BANNED

Oh, please, I'm not falling for that Lobdell "just not getting Storm" line as the sole justification for all the horrid stuff he did to the character. I figured him out years ago and told one of my very first Storm friends on a buddy IM conversation what I think his deal was. The reason Lobdell pathologically wrote Storm down so much was he obviously had bad luck with black women in real life. He probably tried to get with some of them and they told his sorry butt that they weren't into him. In retaliation, he took his anger and disappointment out on Ororo, the only black woman that couldn't tell him "no", and so he wrote her down.

Even if you don't "get" the character, you can at least get her powers right when you have over 17 years of canon telling you what she can do. He messed up on basic things (like her immunity to cold) which indicates a very deliberate attempt to scale her back. He wrote Storm so badly that it reeks of some deeper, personal issues going on within the psyche of the writer himself. Also, where does he get off having any and every telepath around shutting her mind down? Sure, there may have been one exception with a Morlock telepath (meaning he was probably the weakest telepath on the planet. No psi who has powers on a par with say, Emma Frost, and is hostile towards humanity is going to be living in the sewers no matter how ugly they are. They are going to living it up on the surface and abusing their powers to get what they want out of people.) You don't have to be a genius to know that Storm can beat back telepathic attacks from even the most powerful psis. All you have to do is go back and read the Claremontian run and you can at least get that right. So, yeah, not everything he did against the character can be explained away at him "not getting the character". He's nothing but a sorry piece of crap hack writer with a lot of deep-seated personal issues in my book!
    Last edited by rutog98; 01-12-2018 at 01:13 PM.

Karma checkin in on these FoX-men fans after all this time like Adele! "Hello? It's me. I was wondering if after all these years you'd like to meet."

lmfao you have me rolling lol a mess lol

Quote Originally Posted by ChildOfTheAtom View Post
    Ororo gonna meet them.in the sequel I bet

Ughh, one can only dream. My level of excitement for this movie? Far too much.

Oh, please, I'm not falling for that Lobdell "just not getting Storm" line as the sole justification for all the horrid stuff he did to the character. I figured him out years ago and told one of my very first Storm friends on a buddy IM conversation what I think his deal was. The reason Lobdell pathologically wrote Storm down so much was he obviously had bad luck with black women in real life. He probably tried to get with some of them and they told his sorry butt that they weren't into him. In retaliation, he took his anger and disappointment out on Ororo, the only black woman that couldn't tell him "no", and so he wrote her down.

Even if you don't "get" the character, you can at least get her powers right when you have over 17 years of canon telling you what she can do. He messed up on basic things (like her immunity to cold) which indicates a very deliberate attempt to scale her back. He wrote Storm so badly that it reeks of some deeper, personal issues going on within the psyche of the writer himself. Also, where does he get off having any and every telepath around shutting her mind down? Sure, there may have been one exception with a Morlock telepath (meaning he was probably the weakest telepath on the planet. No psi who has powers on a par with say, Emma Frost, and is hostile towards humanity is going to be living in the sewers no matter how ugly they are. They are going to living it up on the surface and abusing their powers to get what they want out of people.) You don't have to be a genius to know that Storm can beat back telepathic attacks from even the most powerful psis. All you have to do is go back and read the Claremontian run and you can at least get that right. So, yeah, not everything he did against the character can be explained away at him "not getting the character". He's nothing but a sorry piece of crap hack writer with a lot of deep-seated personal issues in my book!
    Y'all are burning my mouth too much today with this tea, I cannot.