• Gentle

7 21.88%
  • Loving

1 3.13%
  • the HBIC

14 43.75%
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by stormphoenix View Post
    Yes, she has the feats, but she is not written consistently is the BIG problem. One minute Storm pops Silver Surfer in the face next she gets KO'ed by a electric net or something dumb. SHe is written like a roller coaster.
    Sure, i'll give you that THor has a solo ongoing, but he has actually Villains where Storm does not. Her personal pool of Villains are pretty much a small pool to pick from.

Storm's personal Villain pool are: Adversary, Shadow King, Loki(kinda), Callisto, Brood Race, Dracula. She NEEDS more.
    Agreed. She needs A LOT more villains.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Until she has a successful solo like Thor's, powering her up to such a degree will be more trouble than it's worth.
    She's already had stories powering her up to levels even beyond Thor's. Not many, but the breadcrumbs are there. She just needs a solo title so she can get some stories spread throughout that allows her to tap into those held back power levels more often.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    a villian trying to kill her friends wouldnt necessarily require her to unleash a power devastating enough to destroy a planet. many of the people the xmen fight could be taken out with other creative uses of her powers such as her using an internal attack or flash freezing. the xmen dont typically face planet busrting type threats often. it's when they do that she should be cutting loose.
    You are exactly right about this.

Also, in Uncanny X-Men #154, she, Scott, and Corsair fought the Sidri. Storm was exhausted and unsure she could maintain control of her power to not destroy the city to battle a Rodan-sized Sidri. She ended up pulling it off, but it bothered her that she had to make that choice:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/wKg0pFB0o_y...jdXRhDW_=s1600
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/4V5eiWnWDbX...ukh7rwOt=s1600
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/Hhr4ijmteWK...EdZlPJy-=s1600
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/ELxwNriH1_4...Quc4xfce=s1600

So, if she were to unleash world-destroying level power against a planet-busting antagonist, it would only be as a last resort. So, what Butterflykyss said is right. When the team fights planet-busting antagonists, she should be cutting loose as we see that she will risk causing damage if she feels the threat rises to that level.
    Last edited by rutog98; 01-29-2018 at 04:58 PM.

a villian trying to kill her friends wouldnt necessarily require her to unleash a power devastating enough to destroy a planet. many of the people the xmen fight could be taken out with other creative uses of her powers such as her using an internal attack or flash freezing. the xmen dont typically face planet busrting type threats often. it's when they do that she should be cutting loose.
    No but that villain will never again be a legitimate threat, she wouldn't need to go planet busting level to render them harmless. That's the problem. They'd need to introduce increasingly more powerful villains just for there to be a legitimate threat and that's when things start getting into Dragonball levels of ridiculous.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

BANNED

No but that villain will never again be a legitimate threat, she wouldn't need to go planet busting level to render them harmless. That's the problem. They'd need to introduce increasingly more powerful villains just for there to be a legitimate threat and that's when things start getting into Dragonball levels of ridiculous.
    I don't agree with you that things will get ridiculous. They should have Storm operating at a consistent power level where she is undoubtedly the most powerful member of the team. That said, ever now and then, they should have a threat that comes up where Storm is called upon to cut loose with her powers to deal with it. Thor gets this even when written in the team dynamic of the "Avengers". Another thing that doesn't make sense to me is how the Fantastic Four has a more powerful rogue's gallery than the X-Men when the X-Men are not only more numerous, but more powerful with someone like Ororo on the team. If the X-Men had a rogues gallery on a par with the Fantastic Four, we could get more stories where Storm has the opportunity to cut up so long as the writers and editors don't try to scale her back to prop up weaker characters like Jean and Iceman.

Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    I don't agree with you that things will get ridiculous. They should have Storm operating at a consistent power level where she is undoubtedly the most powerful member of the team. That said, ever now and then, they should have a threat that comes up where Storm is called upon to cut loose with her powers to deal with it. Thor gets this even when written in the team dynamic of the "Avengers". Another thing that doesn't make sense to me is how the Fantastic Four has a more powerful rogue's gallery than the X-Men when the X-Men are not only more numerous, but more powerful with someone like Ororo on the team. If the X-Men had a rogues gallery on a par with the Fantastic Four, we could get more stories where Storm has the opportunity to cut up so long as the writers and editors don't try to scale her back to prop up weaker characters like Jean and Iceman.
    The questions of why can't Storm just take out the particular villain will inevitably come up and the ways they take her out in Gold will just get worse and come across even more stupid. With the power some want her to have there will be no threats for while on the X-Men. You'd see her show up much less and if her solo isn't successful then you will rarely see her. I'm not going to argue with you about the Fantastic Four as this is not the thread for it. All I will say is that the FF is a different property with different goals, it's an exploration book first and superheroics second. Most of their rogues are defeated in interesting and different ways, which would happen less if they too powerful. The X-Men are a minority allegory first and foremost so their rogues would of course be more grounded.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

like callisto, sauron, the mystique, Valkyrie were ever in the league of storms powers? she has fought and lost against characters many times that she should have beat. you have to keep in mind the xmen include characters of various different abilities (both strong and weak). its not like dc universe were many of the popular characters are heavy hitters which allow for their team to face high tier characters, where there powers are all well suited to fight. in storms case, the same is not true. she is on teams with characters like cyclops, kitty, wolverine, colossus, nightcrawler, rogue, etc. though these characters are powerful in their own right they dont have the planet busting potential storm has demonstrated. in fact the reason she is shown taken down a lot because if she was actually written to her full potential as she currently is powered there would be no need of the other team members. so i dont think it would be anymore ridiculous than it has been for the character, thats why she should leave the xmen because they hold her back.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

like callisto, sauron, the mystique, Valkyrie were ever in the league of storms powers? she has fought and lost against characters many times that she should have beat. you have to keep in mind the xmen include characters of various different abilities (both strong and weak). its not like dc universe were many of the popular characters are heavy hitters which allow for their team to face high tier characters, where there powers are all well suited to fight. in storms case, the same is not true. she is on teams with characters like cyclops, kitty, wolverine, colossus, nightcrawler, rogue, etc. though these characters are powerful in their own right they dont have the planet busting potential storm has demonstrated. in fact the reason she is shown taken down a lot because if she was actually written to her full potential as she currently is powered there would be no need of the other team members. so i dont think it would be anymore ridiculous than it has been for the character, thats why she should leave the xmen because they hold her back.
    The bold is where I think our ideas kind of align. If you are going to make Storm be this powerful she can no longer be on the X-Men or most teams. I just wonder whether it's worth it because once it's done it will be hard to bring her back on the team.

Whether she'll be able to be successful without them as a solo character is unknown and if she can't it may be a long time before she is a main character in a book again once the change happens. It's high risk, high reward and I'm not sure if the risk is worth it.

BANNED

The questions of why can't Storm just take out the particular villain will inevitably come up and the ways they take her out in Gold will just get worse and come across even more stupid. With the power some want her to have there will be no threats for while on the X-Men. You'd see her show up much less and if her solo isn't successful then you will rarely see her. I'm not going to argue with you about the Fantastic Four as this is not the thread for it. All I will say is that the FF is a different property with different goals, it's an exploration book first and superheroics second. Most of their rogues are defeated in interesting and different ways, which would happen less if they too powerful. The X-Men are a minority allegory first and foremost so their rogues would of course be more grounded.
    1) When you have characters like Sersi, Thor, Quasar, and Photon on the Avengers, the same question can be made about them in many instances why they don't just deal with the threat solo. Yet, they get their moments to shine in the team dynamic. Ororo and her fans deserve the same treatment.

2) Gold can't get anymore stupid. She's just lightning lass who keeps decorating the ground everytime she gets knocked down. They are fighting sorry villains anyway, so it doesn't matter how powerful Storm is because she's just tossing her low-end lightning bolts.

3) While the FF is a different book from the X-Men, it doesn't negate the fact that the X-Men should have villains every bit as strong as theirs. Since the X-Men are not the FF, they would defeat such rogues in a different manner befitting of a team with a powerhouse like Ororo walking amongst them. It has nothing to do with the X-Men being a minority allegory vs. the FF being a different kind of book. Such differences would come out in the more personal challenges each team faces from their interaction with and reception from the world around them. Villain powerclass has nothing to do with this. If anything, it just leaves more room for the X-Men to have a more diverse range of villains. They should be taking on cosmic threats like the FF does with Storm on the team and then they can deal with the more grounded villains like Magneto.

BANNED

The bold is where I think our ideas kind of align. If you are going to make Storm be this powerful she can no longer be on the X-Men or most teams. I just wonder whether it's worth it because once it's done it will be hard to bring her back on the team.

Whether she'll be able to be successful without them as a solo character is unknown and if she can't it may be a long time before she is a main character in a book again once the change happens. It's high risk, high reward and I'm not sure if the risk is worth it.
    I don't necessarily think Storm needs to leave the X-Men. She just needs to be on a very specialized team with a small cast. This team should deal with the most powerful threats be it earthy, cosmic, or extra-dimensional. I would keep all members of the Grey family off the team as well as other elementals so Storm doesn't get scaled back to prop them up. She could be in a Cosmic X-Men book consisting of:

Storm- (Leader and energy/elemental powerhouse)
    Illyana- (Mystical powerhouse, teleportation transporter, and time traveller)
    Forge- (The tech guy who can fix anything and build anything)
    Colossonaut- (Colossus amped by the Ruby of Cyttorak to be the strong guy)
    Sage- (Supercomputer mind and data analysis)

An X-Mean team like this would be perfect for Ororo. Everybody is very strong in their own sphere of power, the team is small, so everyone can have their moment to shine, and their powers are very different so that nobody has to be scaled back to prop up somebody else.

Agreed. She needs A LOT more villains.

She's already had stories powering her up to levels even beyond Thor's. Not many, but the breadcrumbs are there. She just needs a solo title so she can get some stories spread throughout that allows her to tap into those held back power levels more often.

You are exactly right about this.

Also, in Uncanny X-Men #154, she, Scott, and Corsair fought the Sidri. Storm was exhausted and unsure she could maintain control of her power to not destroy the city to battle a Rodan-sized Sidri. She ended up pulling it off, but it bothered her that she had to make that choice:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/wKg0pFB0o_y...jdXRhDW_=s1600
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/4V5eiWnWDbX...ukh7rwOt=s1600
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/Hhr4ijmteWK...EdZlPJy-=s1600
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/ELxwNriH1_4...Quc4xfce=s1600

So, if she were to unleash world-destroying level power against a planet-busting antagonist, it would only be as a last resort. So, what Butterflykyss said is right. When the team fights planet-busting antagonists, she should be cutting loose as we see that she will risk causing damage if she feels the threat rises to that level.
    thank you boo.

i dont mean she should be a solo character. she should be on a team with heroes where her powers can shine. writers nowadays cant seem to effectively do this.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

I personally see no reason for the X-Men to be in space for more than an arc or two and no need for a X-Cosmic team. But that's just me.
    I see this argument going around in circles. I just believe that once you make Storm so OP you'll have to sacrifice her position on a team and there would be less legit threats to her which is boring.

BANNED

I personally see no reason for the X-Men to be in space for more than an arc or two and no need for a X-Cosmic team. But that's just me.
    I see this argument going around in circles. I just believe that once you make Storm so OP you'll have to sacrifice her position on a team and there would be less legit threats to her which is boring.
    1) Okay, it doesn't have to be called the "Cosmic X-Men", but it should be a team that deals with the highest level threats.

2) Storm can already solo most of the X-Men villains by her lonesome. The point I'm making is from the word "go" she was designed to be the most beautiful and most powerful female in all of comics. She was given power levels and a powerset to compete with the Phoenix Force. Every now and then we get glimpses of the true power of the character that she holds back. I'm not saying that she should always be written at her best, but she should have the opportunities to show it off sometime (and not a mere every couple of years, but much more frequently than that). It was with the character from the start and it should not be taken away from her especially when weaker characters like Iceman, Jean, Meggan, etc get powerups. Heck, when Meggan started out, she began as an empath could only shape-shift, fly, and take life force from the Earth to use to increase her physical stature and strength or harness it as handblasts. Then, she got a power upgrade to where she could broadcast her empathy outward and affect the natural world around her. She could ask the Earth (via her empathic bond to the life force of the planet) to create earthquakes, quell fires by asking the flames to put themselves out, speak to EM fields, speak to the air to simulate wind currents, and channel lava. Then, of course, Emma also got her power upgrades with the diamond form which not only gave her super strength and invulnerability, but also immunity to telepathy while in that form...and Selene got her powerboosts as well in X-Force 52-54 which she retains till this day with her shadow morphing powers and all...and Necrosha established that Selene had no upper limits to her power levels if she keeps draining the life force of people around her. So, why does Ororo have to be scaled back if all of these females keep getting boosts?

3) Marvel does have the villains that could fight Storm written at much higher power levels than she is usually being portrayed at.

4) Then I guess you call the "Avengers" boring when they have people like Thor, Sersi, Photon, and Quasar on the lineup. I disagree with you.

5) Another option is to leave her on the X-Men while including her in another book like "The Defenders" where the team fights MASSIVELY powerful foes, among the strongest Marvel has to offer, IIRC.
    Last edited by rutog98; 01-29-2018 at 06:14 PM.

Some questions:

What would you make the "hook" of a Storm solo?

What is the story that will attract readers?

What section of the MU would be for Storm? (like Thor has the norse thing, Spider-man the average joe with powers thing, Iron Man has robotics/futurist thing etc.)
    Last edited by Crimz; 01-29-2018 at 06:20 PM.

how is this any different from what's already occurring?

1) Okay, it doesn't have to be called the "Cosmic X-Men", but it should be a team that deals with the highest level threats.

2) Storm can already solo most of the X-Men villains by her lonesome. The point I'm making is from the word "go" she was designed to be the most beautiful and most powerful female in all of comics. She was given power levels and a powerset to compete with the Phoenix Force. Every now and then we get glimpses of the true power of the character that she holds back. I'm not saying that she should always be written at her best, but she should have the opportunities to show it off sometime (and not a mere every couple of years, but much more frequently than that). It was with the character from the start and it should not be taken away from her especially when weaker characters like Iceman, Jean, Meggan, etc get powerups. Heck, when Meggan started out, she began as an empath could only shape-shift, fly, and take life force from the Earth to use to increase her physical stature and strength or harness it as handblasts. Then, she got a power upgrade to where she could broadcast her empathy outward and affect the natural world around her. She could ask the Earth (via her empathic bond to the life force of the planet) to create earthquakes, quell fires by asking the flames to put themselves out, speak to EM fields, speak to the air to simulate wind currents, and channel lava. Then, of course, Emma also got her power upgrades with the diamond form which not only gave her super strength and invulnerability, but also immunity to telepathy while in that form...and Selene got her powerboosts as well in X-Force 52-54 which she retains till this day with her shadow morphing powers and all...and Necrosha established that Selene had no upper limits to her power levels if she keeps draining the life force of people around her. So, why does Ororo have to be scaled back if all of these females keep getting boosts?

3) Marvel does have the villains that could fight Storm written at much higher power levels than she is usually being portrayed at.

4) Then I guess you call the "Avengers" boring when they have people like Thor, Sersi, Photon, and Quasar on the lineup. I disagree with you.

5) Another option is to leave her on the X-Men while including her in another book like "The Defenders" where the team fights MASSIVELY powerful foes, among the strongest Marvel has to offer, IIRC.
    I don't think her being more creative yet not a planet or galaxy buster is scaling her back. i just don't care for OP characters and most of the ones you mentioned have something in common. They are not used often (except Emma as her powerup wasn't OP).
    I'd rather Storm got newly created villains, I can only see someone like Doom fight every hero known to man so often before I get bored. And I do find the Avengers boring tbh, I only enjoy the movie versions.

how is this any different from what's already occurring?
    Right now she's under a crappy writer who can barely write his fave Kitty. If got the boost then most writers may write her like that, it would be harder to find a decent one for that power level.