10 31.25%
  • Gentle

7 21.88%
  • Loving

1 3.13%
  • the HBIC

14 43.75%

Quote Originally Posted by Lutecius View Post
    You're the voice of reason. Some fans... it's like they don't get why Storm had such a wide appeal back in the Claremont days. She had weaknesses, hell, she got de-powered for years. Sure, the cool design and powers helped, so did the over the top lines and postures, but it was mostly about her strength of character and humanity, especially in dire circumstances.

And yes, being too powerful in too many domains is limiting from a storytelling perspective. People already constantly bring up past feats to explain why Storm should easily overcome a difficulty. And I've been guilty of that too, because I like consistency. But you really don't need to add new powers on top of that.
    Agreed. I have always said many of her BEST stories came when she was powerless.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PattiLaBelleStormfan View Post
    Because they don't care about us and I'm sick of it.
    yes me too. it's very frustrating. i hope coates can change this trajectory.

Quote Originally Posted by PattiLaBelleStormfan View Post
    Agreed. I have always said many of her BEST stories came when she was powerless.
    I'm sorry not sorry but I don't want to read about a powerless Storm. If I wanted to read about powerless characters I would read batman, or black widow or something.

You're the voice of reason. Some fans... it's like they don't get why Storm had such a wide appeal back in the Claremont days. She had weaknesses, hell, she got de-powered for years. Sure, the cool design and powers helped, so did the over the top lines and postures, but it was mostly about her strength of character and humanity, especially in dire circumstances.

And yes, being too powerful in too many domains is limiting from a storytelling perspective. People already constantly bring up past feats to explain why Storm should easily overcome some difficulty. And I've been guilty of that too, because I like consistency. But you really don't need to add new powers on top of that.
    Yes those Claremont stories where she was powerless were great but the many other stories where she was powerless written by other writers were not. IMO, it's not about her having power or not, it boils down to good writing and Claremont, as a good writer, was able to showcase that whether she was powerless or not. And agreed no new powers are necessary. If writers just continue to write upon her ability to manipulate energy they would be fine but the problem with most writers is that they don't do that and that is when you see many of her fans cry foul. just my two cents.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 02-07-2018 at 03:09 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post

I'm sorry not sorry but I don't want to read about a powerless Storm. If I wanted to reach about powerless characters I would read batman, or black widow or something.

Yes those Claremont stories where she was powerless were great but the many other stories where she was powerless written by other writers were not. IMO, it's not about her having power or not, it boils down to good writing and Claremont, as a good writer, was able to showcase that whether she was powerless or not. And agreed no new powers are necessary. If writers just continue to write upon her ability to manipulate energy they would be fine but the problem with most writers is that they don't do that and that is when you see many of her fans cry foul. just my two cents.
    I prefer for her to have powers no doubt. But I would wager her "Humanity" came more into play during that time resulting in people being able to relate more to her. So it was def. a helpful period for her in the sense of public perception.

I'm sorry not sorry but I don't want to read about a powerless Storm. If I wanted to read about powerless characters I would read batman, or black widow or something.

please let us know how we can help

I think no one wants her to lose her powers again. That story has run its course, no need for a repeat. My point is that she doesn't need to be all-powerful to shine. But yes, the way her powers and other abilities are constantly ignored to make other characters look good is... exasperating.

Personality> feats. Imo.
    No one is saying they want Storm to be powerless. It's just that she's already pretty OP. No need to add all that extra magic, invulnerability, goddess stuff.

BANNED

I think no one wants her to lose her powers again. That story has run its course, no need for a repeat. My point is that she doesn't need to be all-powerful to shine. But yes, the way her powers and other abilities are constantly ignored to make other characters look good is... exasperating.
    Which I NEVER understood. How is it that writers Struggle to handle one of the X-men's Big Powerhouse on a team setting, but characters like Thor, Hulk, Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash do fine on teams.
    I am so Confused.......Storm personally I don't think is that hard to write.

BANNED

YASSSSS... somebody treat this b*tch for her narcolepsy . This is her 3rd issue taking a nap???
    It's called a "power nap" lol.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Storm can be both powerful and have powerful character. They are not mutually exclusive. But when power upon power upon power is added to her, it becomes less about who she is and more about what new feat she can accomplish.

I have not once said in my post that I want Storm to be less powerful than she is. But I don't want to read a series that focuses only on that power. There has to be balance.
    Balance? you call leadership but doubts her leadership balance?

Powerful but gets hurt easily and even faints?

controls the weather but depends on the presence of weather?

Look at Naruto and Goku. They and their powers evolve and become more powerful and at the same time, their character is also developed further, maybe not so much from Goku but definitely Naruto got more characterization.

Quote Originally Posted by stormphoenix View Post
    Which I NEVER understood. How is it that writers Struggle to handle one of the X-men's Big Powerhouse on a team setting, but characters like Thor, Hulk, Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash do fine on teams.
    To be fair, these examples are really big names, even outside of comics, and their power sets are more straightforward so writers usually have a better grasp of what they should or shouldn't be able to do. Elemental control has tons of more subtle applications and Storm as many other talents so you really need to keep track of decades of continuity. And Thor fans do complain that he get dumbed down in Avengers books or doesn't use his abilities to their full extent.
    Of course, in the end it really comes down to poor writing and even worse editing that have plagued Marvel for quite a while now.
    Last edited by Lutecius; 02-07-2018 at 03:59 PM.

BANNED

To be fair, these examples are really big names, even outside of comics, and their power sets are more straightforward so writers usually have a better grasp of what they should or shouldn't be able to do. Elemental control has tons of more subtle applications and Storm as many other talents so you really need to keep track of decades of continuity. And Thor fans do complain that he get dumbed down in Avengers books or doesn't use his abilities to their full extent.
    Of course, in the end it really comes down to poor writing and even worse editing that have plagued Marvel for quite a while now.
    All the more reason Storm needs an ongoing solo. The solo is where we can see what she can really do.

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    Balance? you call leadership but doubts her leadership balance?

Powerful but gets hurt easily and even faints?

controls the weather but depends on the presence of weather?

Look at Naruto and Goku. They and their powers evolve and become more powerful and at the same time, their character is also developed further, maybe not so much from Goku but definitely Naruto got more characterization.
    I'm not sure we should use Naruto or DBZ as examples of good characterization, or good storytelling for that matter.
    We all agree the way Storm is treated in Gold is appalling.

agreed. I don't want her to be all powerful but I do want her abilities to explored to it's fullest capacity as her current powerset allows.

Quote Originally Posted by stormphoenix View Post
    yes, yes, and yes. you don't hear these types of complaints when it comes to other strong characters but with Storm for whatever reason there needs to be balance. Claremont himself hinted at her becoming a goddess long ago, so it's not adding anything to her powerset that isn't already there. It just has never truly been explored (that is until Coates). She doesn't has to be this unbeatable character but if characters like WW who is a goddess (demi-god) has been around for a lot longer than Storm and DC has made it work I'm most certain Marvel could make it work if they had the right creative team.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

I'm not sure we should use Naruto or DBZ as examples of good characterization, or good storytelling for that matter.
    We all agree the way Storm is treated in Gold is appalling.
    yes indeed!!!!!

BANNED

agreed. I don't want her to be all powerful but I do want her abilities to explored to it's fullest capacity as her current powerset allows.

yes, yes, and yes. you don't hear these types of complaints when it comes to other strong characters but with Storm for whatever reason there needs to be balance. Claremont himself hinted at her becoming a goddess long ago, so it's not adding anything to her powerset that isn't already there. It just has never truly been explored (that is until Coates). She doesn't has to be this unbeatable character but if characters like WW who is a goddess (demi-god) has been around for a lot longer than Storm and DC has made it work I'm most certain Marvel could make it work if they had the right creative team.
    Look at Monica she's been ignored for decades until Al Ewing Marvel is scared to write about Storm or Monica or any black women

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Reigns View Post
    Look at Monica she's been ignored for decades until Al Ewing Marvel is scared to write about Storm or Monica or any black women
    I think that is the issue my friend. Showing women, black women, in positions of ultimate power. Monica is a great example of this.