• Gentle

7 21.88%
  • Loving

1 3.13%
  • the HBIC

14 43.75%
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    If it's good, we should get start a petition to get him to write a new X-Book.
    I'm down for that.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stormphoenix View Post
    I DON'T GET IT. How hard is it to keep consistency with a Character???? It can't be that hard with Storm. Every other character it's easy, but Storm she's a mess I DON'T UNDERSTAND. DC seems to do just fine(sometimes), but Marvel Characters some of them are ALL OVER THE PLACE with fluctuating power levels.

I'm starting to think the writers at Marvel just DON'T KNOW HOW to write a consistent character.
    It boils down to the xoffices not giving a sh!t. It's clear that Coates actually cares about this character so why aren't elements of his writing not included or referenced in the xbooks. That was one of the reasons I had issue with Jean talking with tchalla like she had a relationship with him to do so. How is it that Jean who has never had any interaction with him is shown in the xbooks talking with him yet ororo who is dating him in Coates book has yet to even utter his name? It's complete and utter bs.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 02-15-2018 at 01:54 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Though I don't think this ever was a thing and they were just friends here is something for you orokio lovers. Enjoy

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/unfulfi...valentines-day
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

BANNED

I DON'T GET IT. How hard is it to keep consistency with a Character???? It can't be that hard with Storm. Every other character it's easy, but Storm she's a mess I DON'T UNDERSTAND. DC seems to do just fine(sometimes), but Marvel Characters some of them are ALL OVER THE PLACE with fluctuating power levels.

I'm starting to think the writers at Marvel just DON'T KNOW HOW to write a consistent character.
    That's because the books have different aims. Over in the X-books, they are trying to prop up Jean Grey and Kitty Pryde. Neither woman can compete with a well-written Storm. Why else do you think Storm has been demoted from Lightning Lass to Sleepyhead? Over in BP's book, the writer isn't caring about Kitty or Jean as they have nothing to do with his book or the office that handles the BP title. How can Kitty or Jean steal the show when you have a well-written Ororo in the X-books? The answer is: They can't!

On that note, I have having a debate with another poster in the "Who should lead the Mutant Nation" thread. The post I gave in response to her got me thinking about something. Anyway, here is my response to her:

Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    1) That is not what I am saying. Marvel is trying to publish good stories, but they are trying to prop up other characters (usually Jean, but now Jean and Kitty) at the expense of Ororo. I'm not advocating for Marvel to write Jean or Kitty badly, just write Storm as the tremendous character that she is. The problem is, when Storm is well-written, neither Jean or Kitty can compare with her. She overshadows them in terms of mutant power, strength of personality, leadership, presence, versatility in terms of skill set (thief, strategist, escape artist, statemanship, etc). Now, I want you to explain to me why for so many years the case was Storm's power levels and mental defenses against telepaths were drastically weakened whenever Jean was on the team and then would miraculously go up once Jean was taken out of the book and put on a different roster?

2) I agree with you that Marvel does not intentionally try to pick terrible writers and artists, but that is not the point I am making. The point is there is a concerted effort to try and write Storm down for other characters. On the other hand, for Storm to shine, you can put her on a team with anybody and they don't have to be written to prop her up because she's just that good.

3) Uh-huh, and how is Storm being written in Gold? Every issue she is written losing to foes far below her power levels and she's given just a few lines. The only time I have ever seen Storm being written worse than she is in Gold right now was when Dickey wrote her mini series a couple of years ago where he altered the first meeting between Ororo and T'challa to prop him up. Bar that, Guggenheim takes the cake on a horrendously written Ororo.

4) Nobody is saying that everything should revolve around Ororo. I'm just saying write her well.

5) Show me where I say feats done by other characters are done to belittle Storm? The only times I make such assertions are the instances where Storm is written down far below her best to prop somebody else up. That is the definition of PIS, by the way...and I ALWAYS have issues, scans, and feats to back my claims on this to show Storm at the levels I state her to be.

6) Well, gee, why would I say that there are no more stories to tell about Jean? Then, right behind that, why would I say there are so many stories about Ororo left to be told? Okay, all snarkiness aside, lets look at the facts: Jean is just the Plain Jane girl next door who happens to have TP and TK powers. There is nothing spectacular about that. Storm, on the other hand, is a decendant of a lineage going back to the dawn of human existence that predates even the Guardian, Roma. Women from her maternal bloodline were black women with white hair, blue eyes, and a strong potential for magic. Not only this, but Oshtur, one of the Vishanti, favors her maternal bloodline and she has even had sorceress supremes in her lineage. There is a lot to play with right there with Storm as she has ties to the mystical and the mythical. She could very easily add many of the kinds of foes one sees in Dr. Strange's rogue's gallery to her own as it would make sense that many malevolent immortal beings would have come up against Storm's ancestors in the past. These are foes that Storm should inherit.

Moving forward. With Jean, we had the original Phoenix/Dark Phoenix Saga where the PF took a piece of Jean's soul and duplicated her physical body, memories, and personality and pretended to be her for a while. Afterwards, the PF then possessed her daughter from an alternate timeline. After this, there were countless attempts by writers to try and restore the PF to Jean and tons of stories pointing back to the whole Phoenix Force thing. It wasn't until Morrison that the editors finally allowed Jean to be possessed by the PF. Then they killer her off. A few years afterwards, we get the whole Jeen coming to the present from the 60s, and once more we get the whole Phoenix Force thing rehashed again not only in Jeen's solo title, but also in the Trial of Jean Grey story by Bendis. This whole Jean and Phoenix thing is tired.

Other things that we have been repeatedly rehashed are stories about the Grey/Summer clan with their kids from the future and alternate timelines. Evil clones of Jean Grey and her kids. Duplicates of her kids from alternate realities. Jean has been married and in several love triangles (Scott/Jean/Logan and Emma/Scott/Jean). This love triangle concept was one that has been beaten to death for decades up till the point where she died. Now, getting back to the reason for this thread, they took a concept in X-Men Red makes more sense for Storm than any other X-character given Storm's previous canon (leader of the X-Men since the 80s, got the UN to sanction her own X-Treme X-Men team, ex-Queen of Wakanda which would only further her political ties) and gave it to Jean, to whom it made no sense at all especially in comparison to Ororo's history. Emma would have been a better choice than Jean for this role given Emma's history as a business woman of international standing and her position for years as White Queen of the Hellfire Club (which would give her access to politicians and the doner class from all over the world given there are international branches of the HFC).

For Storm's benefit, she has ties to the criminal underground as shown in Uncanny X-Men 383. Heck, this has been a part of the character since she was a street urchin during her youth days in Cairo with Achmed el Gibar. A lot can be done to expand on this. She has held the attention of warlords and rulers across dimensions (Arkon, Dr. Doom, Loki, T'challa, Khan). She is an expert thief, escape artist, a superb H2H combattant, a brilliant stateswoman (she managed to convince the UN to sanction her team...and this was BEFORE she was even a queen)...and then, again, there is the whole ties to the mythical and the mystical from her mother's side of the family while she can get more down to Earth stories from her father's side of the family. On top of this, there is Storm's potential to wield unlimited power. Arguments can be made for a Full Potential Storm to be an omniversal power. Even at her current power levels, she was able to defeat thee beings who were the sum of all matter/life/energy for an entire reality's past, present, and future. Her powerset is to perceive the universe around her as patterns of energy and forces she can bend to her will, observe how those forces work with each other, and then replicate what she sees.

So, yeah, as you can see, the foundation has been laid to tell countless exciting Storm stories, but Marvel has yet to scratch the surface of that rich treasure trove of tales because they are too busy trying to rehash old Phoenix Force stories and stories about evil clones of Jean and her children, or time travelling stories centered on the Grey/Summer clan which have been done to death, etc.
    What I was thinking about is Storm and Wonder Woman. Diana is 1000s of years old, from what I have seen posted on the boards. She comes from a mythical island of women warriors, and she is closely connected to the ancient Greek gods. Rick Rioridan did his Percy Jackson series which is also based in mythology and the series has been wildly successful with readers. WW's stories incorporates a lot of mythology (along with other things). I think this has been a huge contributing factor to her successful popularity as a character. As you can see from what I wrote above, Storm potentially has those same kinds of ties as well to the mythical and mystical. On top of that, she has a unique powerset that completely blows Diana's powers off the map if utilized creatively...and especially if taken to their ultimate heights if Storm were to gain her full potential. Furthermore, Storm has other things that Diana doesn't have like her being an escape artist, thief, etc. On top of it, Storm is still has certain human frailties Diana doesn't have which adds an exciting risk if she were to go up against supremely powerful bad guys. Basically, Storm has everything needed to dwarf Diana with the readership if Marvel pushed her like DC pushed Diana. All of the ingredients are there and everything.

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by rutog98; 02-15-2018 at 10:15 PM.

What I was thinking about is Storm and Wonder Woman. Diana is 1000s of years old, from what I have seen posted on the boards. She comes from a mythical island of women warriors, and she is closely connected to the ancient Greek gods. Rick Rioridan did his Percy Jackson series which is also based in mythology and the series has been wildly successful with readers. WW's stories incorporates a lot of mythology (along with other things). I think this has been a huge contributing factor to her successful popularity as a character. As you can see from what I wrote above, Storm potentially has those same kinds of ties as well to the mythical and mystical. On top of that, she has a unique powerset that completely blows Diana's powers off the map if utilized creatively...and especially if taken to their ultimate heights if Storm were to gain her full potential. Furthermore, Storm has other things that Diana doesn't have like her being an escape artist, thief, etc. On top of it, Storm is still has certain human frailties Diana doesn't have which adds an exciting risk when if she were to go up against supremely powerful bad guys. Basically, Storm has everything needed to dwarf Diana with the readership if Marvel pushed her like DC pushed Diana. All of the ingredients are there and everything.

What do you guys think?
    Well I think you are kinda proposing what I was hoping to see which was storm getting a small corner of the MU focused around the bright lady and the other gods/goddesses relation to this pantheon. It wouldn't be too different from WW, but I think with Coates exploring the idea of her being an actual goddess it would be cool to see her and her ties to the gods she worships fleshed out a lot more. As we know her blood links her to the first original people on earth and maybe that connection is what ultimately ties her into being a goddess.

Attachment 62118

Compliments of Mal art by Jen Bartel.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    It boils down to the xoffices not giving a sh!t. It's clear that Coates actually cares about this character so why aren't elements of his writing not included or referenced in the xbooks. That was one of the reasons I had issue with Jean talking with tchalla like she had a relationship with him to do so. How is it that Jean who has never had any interaction with him is shown in the xbooks talking with him yet ororo who is dating him in Coates book has yet to even utter his name? It's complete and utter bs.
    Well, Jean just got here so.....of course the Focus would be on her, but i'm just saying it's not hard to give characters their due in a team book. It's Just these X-Writers are showing THEIR favorites.

That's because the books have different aims. Over in the X-books, they are trying to prop up Jean Grey and Kitty Pryde. Neither woman can compete with a well-written Storm. Why else do you think Storm has been demoted from Lightning Lass to Sleepyhead? Over in BP's book, the writer isn't caring about Kitty or Jean as they have nothing to do with his book or the office that handles the BP title. How can Kitty or Jean steal the show when you have a well-written Ororo in the X-books? The answer is: They can't!
    Yeah, I can agree to that most definitely. But just you wait when Storm's book comes out she is going to be fantastic.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 02-15-2018 at 04:10 PM.

Well, Jean just got here so.....of course the Focus would be on her, but i'm just saying it's not hard to give characters their due in a team book. It's Just these X-Writers are showing THEIR favorites.

Yeah, I can agree to that most definitely. But just you wait when Storm's book comes out she is going to be fantastic.
    That's the thing I'm not saying she shouldn't have focus and interact with people that's totally fine. What is odd is Ororo has yet to interact with a man she is dating or even casually bring him up. It's not about Jean but Ororo and the xoffices poor attempt to create synergy with what Coates is doing in his books.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 02-15-2018 at 04:10 PM.

BANNED

That's the thing I'm not saying she shouldn't have focus and interact with people that's totally fine. What is odd is Ororo has yet to interact with a man she is dating or even casually bring him up. It's not about Jean but Ororo and the xoffices poor attempt to create synergy with what Coates is doing in his books.
    I don't think the X-Office KNOWS what Coates is doing with Storm which is why they basically ignored EVERYTHING so far.

I don't think the X-Office KNOWS what Coates is doing with Storm which is why they basically ignored EVERYTHING so far.
    How could editorial not know? Coates managed to include her mohawk look and references to the terrigen mist in BP&C. How is he able to do things the x writers are not. I agree they are ignoring what he's doing but not because they don't know. It's because they just don't care.

http://thegeekiary.com/wolverine-hunt-spin-storm/50059

I’m just happy to see Storm being part of the story. Even though she’s supposed to be one of the main characters in the current X-Men Gold run by Marc Guggenheim (which is 21 issues in), she has been criminally underutilized, edging dangerously close to being the team’s token African-American character. Ta-Nehisi Coates did a far better job writing Storm, even as a guest character, in his Black Panther series.

Here’s to hoping Storm is written well in the upcoming miniseries.
    Edging dangerously close? Chile, she's already there. At this point, you can swap her out with Frenzy/Idie/Cecelia/(insert black mutant here).

Quote Originally Posted by Jalysia View Post
    Edging dangerously close? Chile, she's already there. At this point, you can swap her out with Frenzy/Idie/Cecelia/(insert black mutant here).
    Lololol my sentiments exactly.

I guess now would be a good time to ask if we can get the original name of this thread back?
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE
    GA: "She moves fast"..
    F:"Compared to who?"
    GA:"Hold her!"
    F:"Does it look like I'm not trying!?"

♡♡♡

Quote Originally Posted by Jalysia View Post
    We love tea. She could not show up at all, the team wouldn't notice
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE
    GA: "She moves fast"..
    F:"Compared to who?"
    GA:"Hold her!"
    F:"Does it look like I'm not trying!?"

♡♡♡

Quote Originally Posted by malachi_munroex View Post
    I guess now would be a good time to ask if we can get the original name of this thread back?
    Well.....

Quote Originally Posted by malachi_munroex View Post
    We love tea. She could not show up at all, the team wouldn't notice
    Nope like she seriously brings nothing to this team that makes it essential for her to even be there.

I miss the days of Claremont and even Stan Lee where each team member and their associated attributes were highlighted in each issue and it was clear what they brought to the team. Those days are long gone.
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 02-15-2018 at 05:04 PM.