10 31.25%
  • Gentle

7 21.88%
  • Loving

1 3.13%
  • the HBIC

14 43.75%

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    And this is why it's important to have these discussions.
    Exactly. And not just colorism. But racism, homophobia, transphobia, etc.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Avatar View Post
    Exactly. And not just colorism. But racism, homophobia, transphobia, etc.
    Yup.. And considering storm is a black character that impacts all of those areas this is the place to have said discussion safely and freely. I'm all for it...

Now we need to force Marvel to give us some news on this solo. It's been nearly 5 months since it was announced. They have to know something by now right?
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    Do the minorites need to be colored with darker skin?

If they make a filipino mutant, ill be fine if the filipino mutant has lighter skin or darker skin. What matters to me is that the mutant is a filipino.

And i would also understand that in comics, the appearances of characters could differ due to different artists and colorists.

And seeing Storm looking darker than other xmen is good enough.
    They don't have to be, but they should stay relatively consistent with how they were originally depicted unless they're from another Earth or something. Isn't there a whole skin whitening industry in the Philippines? If there was a character who was originally shown with darker skin and then years later show to have gotten lighter, wouldn't that play into that industry?
    Last edited by Cville; 03-12-2018 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    They don't have to be, but they should stay relatively consistent whit how they were originally depicted unless they're from another Earth or something. Isn't there a whole skin whitening industry in the Phillipines? If there was a character who was originally shown with darker skin and then years later show to have gotten lighter, wouldn't that play into that industry?
    Racism as it exist here in America relating to black people is not equivalent to whatever colorism exist in the Phillipines (not that it doesn't matter) so I can understand the posters ignorannce of the relevancy and the importance of colorism. However, this ignorance should not be encouraged and hopefully more discussion and exposure to ideas will help everyone see its importance and value. What I find interesting is that the struggles of black persons around the world and racist attitudes they experienced are something that is now being challenged in a large part because of the black panther movie. The ideas that women and men who are black and dark not being beautiful is changing as evident by some interviews of Korean people after seeing black panther and this is beyond an amazing thing.
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 03-12-2018 at 06:08 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Maybe she was clueless. So some of these writers and teams may not be playing dumb, so much as they don't take the time to really research these characters they work on & end up following after other people who screwed them up.

I could believe she was clueless on how he started. But since you said she made a bunch of excuses, that puts it in a fishy light. because she could've easily said she didn't know because she didn't look into deeply his origin and let it be. But if she tried to justify changing his racial make-up, then yeah. We got the agenda made clear.
    I felt bad for her bc she was put on the spot and I have no clue if she's colored Sunspot in the past but one of her excuses for that was weak. She said soemthing may have been lost in translation from the computer screen to print. I could get that if we are talking purple coming out more lavendar but not a dark skin character looking Caucasion

And this is why it's important to have these discussions.
    Here is the link for those that havent heard it. It starts at 44:00

http://www.xplainthexmen.com/2018/03...rom-eccc-2018/

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    Be careful, Malachi and Kyss have been known to cut a mofu...lol

Hell, let's just make it a foursome.
    If this is how it has to be the goods at the front are mine. The other girls can squabble over the back.

As far as this colorism discussion goes, I have nothing to say cause ya'll know people don't like when I spill all the teas so Imma just take my mans LordAllMIghty and keep my a** quiet. Its been real
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE
    GA: "She moves fast"..
    F:"Compared to who?"
    GA:"Hold her!"
    F:"Does it look like I'm not trying!?"

♡♡♡

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by malachi_munroex View Post
    If this is how it has to be the goods at the front are mine. The other girls can squabble over the back.

As far as this colorism discussion goes, I have nothing to say cause ya'll know people don't like when I spill all the teas so Imma just take my mans LordAllMIghty and keep my a** quiet. Its been real
    Is LordAllmighty your actual Boyfriend??? Or are we just playing?? I’m confused

Quote Originally Posted by stormphoenix View Post
    I'm playing around but who knows what could happen.
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE
    GA: "She moves fast"..
    F:"Compared to who?"
    GA:"Hold her!"
    F:"Does it look like I'm not trying!?"

♡♡♡

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I listened to the Xplain the X-men podcast today and they did it live from Emerald City ComicCon. One of the last questions asked was a fan questioning a colorist (who was on the panel) about the whitewashing of Sunspot. Girl tried to play dumb like she didnt know what was meant about him now being colored "pale" compared to how he was originally and I had to laugh at the excuses she tried to think up. The recent discussion in this thread seemed well timed
    Pretty much. If we don't call out these issues, they will never get addressed. And if they don't address them, spend your money elsewhere.

I recommend Lion's Forge who are putting out a very diverse line up of comics.
    Last edited by Marvell2100; 03-12-2018 at 06:52 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by malachi_munroex View Post
    I'm playing around but who knows what could happen.
    Ooooh competition. Let’s Go!!! Imma Steal Yo Man!!!
    Last edited by stormphoenix; 03-12-2018 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stormphoenix View Post
    LOL, I'm open to all.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

BANNED

Racism as it exist here in America relating to black people is not equivalent to whatever colorism exist in the Phillipines (not that it doesn't matter) so I can understand the posters ignorannce of the relevancy and the importance of colorism. However, this ignorance should not be encouraged and hopefully more discussion and exposure to ideas will help everyone see its importance and value. What I find interesting is that the struggles of black persons around the world and racist attitudes they experienced are something that is now being challenged in a large part because of the black panther movie. The ideas that women and men who are black and dark not being beautiful is changing as evident by some interviews of Korean people after seeing black panther and this is beyond an amazing thing.
    Black or white, an American is still an American. Powerful and dominant.

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    LOL, I'm open to all.