• Gentle

7 21.88%
  • Loving

1 3.13%
  • the HBIC

14 43.75%
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Reigns View Post
    More like Goddess adjacent. She needs the prayers of people to sustain and use that power. Other gods generate that power without the faith of others.
    Storm outpowers most of the other "gods" on her own even without this, though. That said, I don't know if it quite works the way you say. The Orisha were not originally "gods" and "goddesses", for instance, but they evolved into that because of the beliefs of the people. I don't believe that once the power was unlocked in them that it could simply just go away and they return to what they were prior to their ascension. The same would apply to Ororo.
    Last edited by rutog98; 04-18-2018 at 06:01 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    I'm curious though: is this new ability unique to Wakanda? And how much of T'Challa's own power (since he is Wakanda incarnate) played a part in this?
    No, it is not unique to Wakanda. Ororo explained to T'challa many issues ago that she felt stronger during her "goddess" years when she was worshipped on the Serengeti. T'challa even admitted in the aftermath of issue 172 that he knew Storm was a "goddess" even back then when he asked her all those issues ago. This is since Storm relinquished her title from her days on the Serengeti. If anything, Storm locked the power away and the Wakandans just awoke it within her.
    Last edited by rutog98; 04-18-2018 at 06:13 PM.

More like Goddess adjacent. She needs the prayers of people to sustain and use that power. Other gods generate that power without the faith of others.
    Oddly enough, she more aligned with DC comic gods who are powered by their worshippers.

If this is not a perminent power up.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    Storm outpowers most of the other "gods" on her own even without this, though. That said, I don't know if it quite works the way you say. The Orisha were not originally "gods" and "goddesses", for instance, but they evolved into that because of the beliefs of the people. I don't believe that once the power was unlocked in them that it could simply just go away and they return to what they were prior to their ascension. The same would apply to Ororo.
    That's assuming a lot. The original canon named them gods, children of the elder gods. That's not true. Storm isn't immortal, will die of old age unless she evolves and can still be shot and die. That's not true for gods. Plus the other gods can self resurrect.
    Last edited by Chaos Reigns; 04-18-2018 at 06:06 PM.

BANNED

That's assuming a lot. The original canon named them gods, children of the elder gods.
    That is no longer the case about Bast and the others being children of the Elder Gods. They are now heroes from the first people of modern day Wakanda who gained "godhood" from the faith people put in him due to their heroic deeds against the originator races that inhabited the land before the Wakandans took over. I do not believe, for instance, that Bast can return to human after she transcended humanity. Also, many issues ago, when T'challa asked Ororo if she were a "goddess", he already knew she was...and this was AFTER she gave up the days of being worshipped on the Serengeti. So, once she transcended, she never really went back to what she was before then. She had to have locked the power away similar to how she locked away her Roguestorm power only to have Panther and his people remove the self-imposed limits she places on her own power with their faith. Also, they didn't have to be actively praying to her to reawaken what she must have consciously locked away within her as we saw earlier when she closed the portals and thwarted Adversary's powers that their faith in her was all that was necessary for her to pull the feat. They were not praying. The whole thing with people looking like they were praying to her in 172 was just the writer and artist trying to show people putting their faith in the character.

That said, I think this is a power she can access at will. She just has to choose not to lock it away as she never really stopped being a "goddess" from her days as the "Goddess of the Plains". This fits well with canon, too, because it has been long established that Storm has the power of a "goddess" going all the way back to the 80s and even Adversary feared her power and potential meaning she had to have that kind of power level seeing how Adversary was a "god".
    Last edited by rutog98; 04-18-2018 at 06:39 PM.

BANNED

No, it is not unique to Wakanda. Ororo explained to T'challa many issues ago that she felt stronger during her "goddess" years when she was worshipped on the Serengeti. T'challa even admitted in the aftermath of issue 172 that he knew Storm was a "goddess" even back then when he asked her all those issues ago. This is since Storm relinquished her title from her days on the Serengeti. If anything, Storm locked the power away and the Wakandans just awokened it within her.
    Rutog, you have been speaking the truth the last few pages. You shine the light of the Hadari Yao the All-Goddess who Preserves the Balance of All Natural things into the darkest corners of the cosmos. Dispel the darkest that leaves people ignorant to the truth.

Personally I would for Storm to get a new mini exploring her new godhood.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BBeeryan View Post
    Rutog, you have been speaking the truth the last few pages. You shine the light of the Hadari Yao the All-Goddess who Preserves the Balance of All Natural things into the darkest corners of the cosmos. Dispel the darkest that leaves people ignorant to the truth.
    LOL, thanks! Anything to promote our favorite "Mistress of the Elements"!

BANNED

That is no longer the case about Bast and the others being children of the Elder Gods. They are now heroes from the first people of modern day Wakanda who gained "godhood" from the faith people put in him due to their heroic deeds against the originator races that inhabited the land before the Wakandans took over. I do not believe, for instance, that Bast can return to human after she transcended humanity. Also, many issues ago, when T'challa asked Ororo if she were a "goddess", he already knew she was...and this was AFTER she gave up the days of being worshipped on the Serengeti. So, once she transcended, she never really went back to what she was before then. She had to have locked the power away similar to how she locked away her Roguestorm power only to have Panther and his people reawaken it unlock what she set aside within her being with their faith. Also, they didn't have to be actively praying to her to reawaken what she must have consciously locked away within her as we saw earlier when she closed the portals and thwarted Adversary's powers that their faith in her was all that was necessary for her to pull the feat. They were not praying. The whole thing with people looking like they were praying to her in 172 was just the writer and artist trying to show people putting their faith in the character.

That said, I think this is a power she can access at will. She just has to choose not to lock it away as she never really stopped being a "goddess" from her days as the "Goddess of the Plains". This fits well with canon, too, because it has been long established that Storm has the power of a "goddess" going all the way back to the 80s and even Adversary feared her power and potential meaning she had to have that kind of power level seeing how Adversary was a "god".
    That glow in the comics disagrees with you. The comic literally shows them worshipping her and her using that power.
    Last edited by Chaos Reigns; 04-18-2018 at 06:25 PM.

BANNED

So, even in the scans below, T'challa knew that Storm was a "goddess":
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/JWU7605iBev...gg_KeTZH=s1600
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/bY06zdtxBUQ...ZO6hgPNR=s1600

So, this conversation from BP #13 obviously happened way after Storm's "goddess" years on the Serengeti. And even during this conversation, we find out in issue 172 that T'challa knew Storm was a "goddess" in these panels above. So, again, once Ororo transcended, she never went back to what she was. The only logical explanation is she locked the power away within her (she has a tendency to put self-imposed limits on her power), and the faith of the Wakandans stripped away some of those self-imposed limits she put on her own powers, thus awakening her true inner "goddess" self. This is what Adversary feared about her back in "Fall of the Mutants" meaning the power was still within her, but tucked away at that time due to her own choices.
    Last edited by rutog98; 04-18-2018 at 06:35 PM.

BANNED

That is no longer the case about Bast and the others being children of the Elder Gods. They are now heroes from the first people of modern day Wakanda who gained "godhood" from the faith people put in him due to their heroic deeds against the originator races that inhabited the land before the Wakandans took over. I do not believe, for instance, that Bast can return to human after she transcended humanity. Also, many issues ago, when T'challa asked Ororo if she were a "goddess", he already knew she was...and this was AFTER she gave up the days of being worshipped on the Serengeti. So, once she transcended, she never really went back to what she was before then. She had to have locked the power away similar to how she locked away her Roguestorm power only to have Panther and his people reawaken it unlock what she set aside within her being with their faith. Also, they didn't have to be actively praying to her to reawaken what she must have consciously locked away within her as we saw earlier when she closed the portals and thwarted Adversary's powers that their faith in her was all that was necessary for her to pull the feat. They were not praying. The whole thing with people looking like they were praying to her in 172 was just the writer and artist trying to show people putting their faith in the character.

Which is why the Adversary banished her and Forge to that other dimension. Forge and Storm used their powers together to return home.

I am happy to see Storm defeat the Adversary without Forge. I like how Coates has essentially combined her past on the plains with Wakanda.

Obviously Storm always remained a goddess and something special. Worshipped as goddess of the plains. Leader of the X-Men. Queen of Wakanda. Save the world's mutants by hiding them in Limbo until the X-Men came up with plans to destroy Terrigen (she could have done that herself, I know but that is a whole different argument).

This was an amazing issue and I love her relationship with the Black Panther. I see because of how she is portrayed in Black Panther Guggenheim gave her Stormcaster which she doesn't need. Unless Guggenheim wants to also write her as superstrong. Honestly I think she is already superstrong, unless Guggenheim wants to make her Thor strong.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    Personally I would for Storm to get a new mini exploring her new godhood.
    Oooooouuuu... me too. I'm hoping Storm's solo spends directly out of these events. It would be epic!
    LOL, thanks! Anything to promote our favorite "Mistress of the Elements"!
    The one and the only Hadari Yao deserves as much! Our girl just curbstomped the Adversary. She needs to rest up and conserve that divine power.

BANNED

Works for me! Looks like she is more powerful than Bast seeing as how Adversary got rid of the Orisha (Bast AND friends). So, if Bast can empower T'challa to defeat Mephisto, imagine what Ororo can do now! Heck, I think Adversary is a lot more powerful than Mephisto, to be honest.
    Which is why Bast had such friction with Storm when T'Challa and Storm got married. Bast knew Storm's potential.

BANNED

The was lots of things I liked about this issue, the pep talk wasn't one of them. Storm is strong enough on her own to face and overcome her claustrophobia and access her birthrite without a her ex husband.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Which is why Bast had such friction with Storm when T'Challa and Storm got married. Bast knew Storm's potential.
    That would be a GREAT twist to put on the friction between the two. Perhaps Bast saw Storm as a rival and a potential superior should Ororo ever remove the self-imposed limits she puts on her own power which masked her true "inner-goddess" self.