• Gentle

7 21.88%
  • Loving

1 3.13%
  • the HBIC

14 43.75%
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    1) I back up why I say Emma should beat Jean in TP combat. Emma has more powerful feats than Jean which I have more than proven. We all know how characters get scaled back to prop up other characters. The same has happened with Emma vs. Jean in canon. Now, how do you explain Emma countering Exodus everytime they fight with Jean going down is disgrace everytime she and Exodus crossed swords? How do explain Emma's other feats which far outclass what Jean has accomplished as well? It is because of these other instances that nullifies Jean beating Emma in TP combat. I would buy Jean beating Emma physically though. I don't think Emma's diamond form can beat Jean's TK.

2) You can't talk about anything when you make up stuff like Jean beating Poccy while leaving out details of what happened to put things in context. Jean was completely defenseless against Poccy until he made a mistake in his handling with Cyclops which allowed her to hit him from the inside out behind all of his armor's defenses. Prior to that, she had no way of reaching him through his Poccy suit.

3) Then, you want to compare Jean straining to lift a thousand tons for a few seconds to Exodus crushing Genosha with his TK powers.
    Also, in X-Men Blue #20(or somewhere around there), Jeen was only able to hold off Xavier Jr. for a little while and had to run and get Prof. X before Junior overcame her. Meanwhile, Emma came along in that same issue and bested Xavier Junior in psi-battle, something that was beyond Jean's power to do. Again, Emma>>>Jean.

Here, we see Jeen can only hold out Xavier Jr for a little while: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/B3yIN3gbtPG...kAP_UyaQ=s1600

Xavier Jr. says he can't punch through Jean's shields AND worry about Magneto at the same time, but in other words, he can PUNCH through them if he is fully concentrated on her:
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/zGNqCccofaZ...8keqz94w=s1600

This agrees with what Jean saying she could only hold him out for a short time.

Then, we get Emma in the same issue beating Xavier Junior in a one-on-one psi fight:
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/CYBFe1tDi5f...nFn4c8lA=s1600
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/iGnfL-t1GIo...BbYHfK5w=s1600
    Last edited by rutog98; 05-10-2018 at 09:01 PM.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Rider View Post
    The art looks amazing and the story looks like it will be intense (right up my alley).

For this fight I am hoping for a good representation for both ladies (no one jobbing but understandable for Jean to hold back). I think it could really go either way, but I'd like to see them matching each other for raw power, counter attacking with creative tactics, edging out domination by playing to unique strengths and having compelling dialogue to accent the battle (like Jean fighting for the life of her sister). Then see fight end with Jean's power helping Storm realize what Cassandra has one and then Storm neutralizes the tech Cassandra is using to control her. Ultimately, we see from the dialogue Jean cares about Storm and wants to be the one to save her so that no harm comes to her, and I think she will succeed in accomplishing that,, but hopefully the writer respects both characters enough to give them/readers a good show.
    I wouldn't have issue where both ladies are respected as you described (which what you described sounds most plausible) though I would prefer storm having a clear and decisive victory lol..
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stormphoenix View Post
    LOVE the art. Storm looks absolutely amazing.
    I actually love that shot a lot too. I must say for storm to be wrecking ish jean dont seem one bit concerned. that's pretty badass. it's time to see who comes out on top. hopefully they both come out victorious.

I'm also curious to see what role tchalla will play in this.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

I love Storm and after reading the comments in the Red preview I don't think it's PIS if Jean beats her. You have the mind control having Storm acting differently so she isn't really at her best and even then I truly believe that Jean is not below Storm's league. I believe that they are on the same level and that now that Jean has lost the Phoenix I think writers are going to show that she is still incredibly powerful without it.

I don't see it as PIS or a negative for Storm if she loses under these circumstances, especially if it's to Jean.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    I actually love that shot a lot too. I must say for storm to be wrecking ish jean dont seem one bit concerned. that's pretty badass. it's time to see who comes out on top. hopefully they both come out victorious.
    I'm sure the fight will be fine. I think EVERYONE is just over thinking it, Jean said something else is in Storm's mind with her that is prohibiting Jean from being effective in Storm's mind. Which means this MIGHT be a visit to the Astal Plane. Not to mention she has to combat Storm Externally not just Telepathically. It'll be fine.

I'm also curious to see what role tchalla will play in this.
    NO. That Abomination needs to stay in his place. Just like how she pushed him aside with her winds to get to Nhenzo(However you spell his name -_-)

When you're so hype for the battle you have a dream about it lol. So o guess I'm just gonna give my official initial thoughts on the battle and what I'm expectoning and such.

Now for the most part either Jean wins or Storm snaps out of it both of which are acceptable. The only way to make me ticked is if Jean one-shots her (which I doubt will happen) or has Storm complett defensless/overwhelmes, because this is the first time this writer has written storm (pretty sure anyway) it's more than possible he doesn't know that Storm can scramble tk/tp, but he seems to know his characters so far so we'll see. Even if he did, I doubt this Storm, being controlled, would actually fight like she would against past telepaths/telekinetics. Which also makes me dissapointed that this great battle isn't done by Claremont or someone like him who proved to know them both, Storm being controlled alone ruins it but whatever, as long as Storm isn't humiliated then it's acceptable but if she is there are reasons and excuses for it, but it would be a big let down.

In the end I don't expect much from Storm, I have no problem seeing someone as powerful as Jean subduing her especially when she's not herself (as no one should really), but I want some struggle before the end. If Taylor has her scrambling tk I would be impressed and honestly happy even when Storm goes down.

Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    Also, in X-Men Blue #20(or somewhere around there), Jeen was only able to hold off Xavier Jr. for a little while and had to run and get Prof. X before Junior overcame her. Meanwhile, Emma came along in that same issue and bested Xavier Junior in psi-battle, something that was beyond Jean's power to do. Again, Emma>>>Jean.

Here, we see Jeen can only hold out Xavier Jr for a little while: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/B3yIN3gbtPG...kAP_UyaQ=s1600

Xavier Jr. says he can't punch through Jean's shields AND worry about Magneto at the same time, but in other words, he can PUNCH through them if he is fully concentrated on her:
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/zGNqCccofaZ...8keqz94w=s1600

This agrees with what Jean saying she could only hold him out for a short time.

Then, we get Emma in the same issue beating Xavier Junior in a one-on-one psi fight:
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/CYBFe1tDi5f...nFn4c8lA=s1600
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/iGnfL-t1GIo...BbYHfK5w=s1600
    Teen Jean didnt fight Xavier directly and definitely not in the scans you post. We saw her focus on using her powers to keep him out of the other member's heads. Thats 7 people, including herself and her shields never break. It makes sense for her to go find the real Xavier instead of wasting time fighting his son. Had she done that, it would have left the team vulnerable to have Xorna break through her psy barriers and compromise them. Jr was a merely a distraction from the primary goal. #20 doesnt paint her in a weak light. It was a good decision as leader and ultimately worked out for the team.

Jr did say that but he didnt fight Magneto in that issue. Xorna immediately took care of fighting Magneto after he said that. Its in the scan you posted. At that point, Jr's full attention was on breaking through Jean's psy barriers and he didnt. He was all talk.

We've already seen her fight him directly and she can take him on

Ultimately you are comparing an AR Emma Frost with a Teenage time displaced version of JG. Thats not exactly the adult 616 versions which you were responding about to
    Last edited by Havok83; 05-11-2018 at 08:15 AM.

OroJean moments are always a yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormultt Divine View Post
    OroJean moments are always a yes.

I hope they hug it out

I'm probably in the minority on this, but I never cared for the Storm/Jean friendship. If you go back and read some of the older issues of X-Men when Storm joined the team, it's like she(as with others) started "idolizing" Jean almost immediately. I hate that. Jean was always treated as this "perfect, can do no wrong, everybody loves her" being... she was like Marcia Brady in comic form. Good thing for the animated series though or else we wouldn't know Jean can't cook for shit if we're to believe Gambit, so I guess she ain't so perfect after all. I don't want it to sound like I'm bashing Jean because I'm not and I actually like her as a character(favorite of the telepaths). I just don't like how she's written as the center of everyone's universe.

P.S. I like Storm's friendship with Psylocke, Rogue, and Bishop more

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Nick View Post
    I'm probably in the minority on this, but I never cared for the Storm/Jean friendship. If you go back and read some of the older issues of X-Men when Storm joined the team, it's like she(as with others) started "idolizing" Jean almost immediately. I hate that. Jean was always treated as this "perfect, can do no wrong, everybody loves her" being... she was like Marcia Brady in comic form. Good thing for the animated series though or else we wouldn't know Jean can't cook for shit if we're to believe Gambit, so I guess she ain't so perfect after all. I don't want it to sound like I'm bashing Jean because I'm not and I actually like her as a character(favorite of the telepaths). I just don't like how she's written as the center of everyone's universe.

There were no other females around for a long time and even then Storm didnt get anyone close to her age till Psylocke in the mid 80s. It made sense why she gravitated towards Jean

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    There were no other females around for a long time and even then Storm didnt get anyone close to her age till Psylocke in the mid 80s. It made sense why she gravitated towards Jean
    Didn't Jean leave the team soon after Storm joined? I don't see how they could've forged that much of a bond in such a short span. Especially since during that time, Jean was almost attached to Cyclops' hip. I don't recall much panel time of the 2 of them together. Another thing I think about, Storm and Stevie Hunter could've had a nice close friendship, but they wrote Storm as semi-jealous of her over her relationship with Kitty. Speaking of Kitty, when she first joined the team... like 2 or 3 issues later they had Storm acting all mother-henny(her little kitten) almost immediately too. I like how Claremont wrote Storm for the most part, but those 2 things with Jean and Kitty kinda irk me bit as far as her characterization goes.

Quick point so as not to derail Storm's thread: It's not always handled well, but across a lot of the iterations of Jean it's subtly implied that people do stick her on pedestal and expect her to be absolutely perfect, and Jean feels compelled to live up to that expectation and the pressure of that can be a factor in what eventually drives her crazy.

The early seasons of X-Men: Evolution are a good example of this. Prior to everyone finding out the x-kids were mutants, Jean was a star student and athlete and really popular to the point of near parody. Rogue even grouchily pointed it out a couple times. And Prof. X trotted Jean out everywhere as "the best of what they had to offer." When they went to meet new mutants, X often took Jean as a living brochure for the school. When there was a public meeting about allowing mutants to go to public school X made Jean get up and speak to them.

But you could see Jean was just as insecure and nervous a teenager as everybody else but felt like she had to hide it. It fell off in later seasons as Jean got older and more experienced, but starting out in was a nice window into how society often treats kids it deems "exceptional."

And the original Dark Phoenix Saga can be interpreted as a warning of what happens when you box women in and expect them to meet a rigid standard.
    Last edited by ariwl1; 05-11-2018 at 09:15 AM.

Didn't Jean leave the team soon after Storm joined? I don't see how they could've forged that much of a bond in such a short span. Especially since during that time, Jean was almost attached to Cyclops' hip. I don't recall much panel time of the 2 of them together. Another thing I think about, Storm and Stevie Hunter could've had a nice close friendship, but they wrote Storm as semi-jealous of her over her relationship with Kitty. Speaking of Kitty, when she first joined the team... like 2 or 3 issues later they had Storm acting all mother-henny(her little kitten) almost immediately too. I like how Claremont wrote Storm for the most part, but those 2 things with Jean and Kitty kinda irk me bit as far as her characterization goes.
    Jean left the team but she was still at the mansion alot bc she dated Scott. Their friendship did form rather fast but alot of time passed between issues. Claremont filled some of this out in Classic X-men. It didnt bother me

Also one of my fav OroJean pics