• Powerful

10 31.25%
  • Gentle

7 21.88%
  • Loving

1 3.13%
  • the HBIC

14 43.75%
Page 3437 of 3522 FirstFirst ... 2437293733373387342734333434343534363437343834393440344134473487 ... LastLast
Results 51,541 to 51,555 of 52830
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    That one better stay forgotten...

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

They aren't well known even among fans, it's not lazy for a writer to not know every small detail of a character that has been around for over 40 years. On the list of things Storm can do energy sight and nightvision are the bottom in terms of importance and being remembered. Writers forget aspects of a characters powers all the time and that isn't a sign of laziness unless it's an important part of their powerset, like Storm being able to do much more than lightning. True laziness and incompetence is getting the character wrong in terms of personality and how they react to situations. Storm hasn't been shown using the powers of nightvison and energy sight in years and may not for a very long time if at all, it doesn't make a writer bad for forgetting those particular powers.
    When you say it is not well known among fans, what fans are you talking about? It seems everyone here is aware of this and I mentioned to Stormphoenix below, Fox is too which is why they put as one of her list of abilities she has the ability to perceive energy. Nevertheless, this is something again that said was throughout how characterization during the 80s and 90s when the Xmen were most popular. Now if you are to say that newer fans of the Xmen who are not familiar with the older stories don't know you would have a point; however, this doesn't mean that her powers don't function as such when in canon this is how her powers is explained to work multiple times. Writers may not feel the need to go into this detail 1.) because it already has been explained, 2.) the story they are telling doesn't lend itself to doing it, and or 3.) the just don't care to, lazy, etc. And her ability to perceive energy is a very important aspect of her characterization. This explains how she is even able to manipulate lightning or wind, or the synapses in someone's brain. This is a fundamental aspect of her ability and though a writer doesn't go into this detail does not mean she doesn't have it or it doesn't exist anymore. That would be simply factually and canonically incorrect. And why does she need to use night vision when she could illuminate a given area with her powers? Claremont called to this ability when she was Emma's body and without her power to explain how Ororo's natural body functions (this isn't a result of her ability to manipulate weather, the way her eye lenses are made allow this akin to how a cat eyes' work).

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    I always thought of those abilities as secondary traits that she can employ only when necessary. Her energy sight and night vision are specific traits and we haven't seen her written in a situation where she had to specifically use either ability...at least not withing the last decade or so.

Now..that does not say whether or not Taylor remembers or knows of those talents...and even if he does, he may not have any intention of writing a story where they can be put to some use.

As it is, the last I remember she mentioned being able to see exceptionally well in the dark was when she first encountered the Dire Wraiths, just after she lost her powers way back when and I don't think Claremont himself even brings it up anytime after that...I could be wrong, though. The energy sight is far more widely known and mentioned.
    Fair points. Do you have the scan of the Dire Wraiths. I don't think I recall that.

Quote Originally Posted by stormphoenix View Post
    You may not be aware, but not many people KNOW she has Energy Sight.....so Yes. They probably forgot or they really don't know.

Yeah, what this guy said.

Based upon what??? You guys are providing statements as evidence of fact but that doesn't align with actual showings in popular culture. Take for instance Storm from the xmen movie. They did a power synopsis of her character and one of the things included was energy perception:

You expect me to think that her ability to perceive energy is not a common knowledge yet Fox was aware of this enough to put it on a synopsis about her power? Ummm... no ma'am..

All in all, I completely disagree with this notion fans don't know. For those who are not familiar with the 80s, 90s stories you may have a point but the fact that Fox is aware (and they completely botched the character) I would be inclined to think more people are aware than some here are willing to acknowledge.
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 06-08-2018 at 03:23 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    When you say it is not well known among fans, what fans are you talking about. It seems everyone here is aware of this and I mentioned to Stormphoenix below, Fox is too which is why the put on one of her list of abilities she has the ability to perceive energy. Nevertheless, this is something again that said was throughout how characterization during the 80s and 90s when the Xmen were most popular. Now if you are to say that newer fans of the Xmen who are not familiar with the older stories don't know you would have a point; however, this doesn't mean that her powers don't function as such when in canon this is how her powers is explained to work multiple times. Writers may not feel the need to go into this detail 1.) because it already has been explained, 2.) the story they are telling doesn't lend itself to doing it, and or 3.) the just don't care to, lazy, etc. And her ability to perceive energy is a very important aspect of her characterization. This explains how she is even able to manipulate lightning or wind, or the synapses in someone's brain. This is a fundamental aspect of her ability and though a writer doesn't go into this detail does not mean she doesn't have it or it doesn't exist anymore. That would be simply factually and canonically incorrect. And why does she need to use night vision when she illuminate a given area with her powers. Claremont called to this ability when she was Emma's body and without her power to explain how Ororo's body function.

Fair points. Do you have the scan of the Dire Wraiths. I don't think I recall that.

Based upon what??? You guys are providing statements as evidence of fact but that doesn't align with actual showings in popular culture. Take for instance Storm from the xmen movie. They did a power synopsis of her character and one of the things included was energy perception:

You expect me to think that her ability to perceive energy is not a common knowledge yet Fox was aware of this enough to put it on a synopsis about her power? Ummm... no ma'am..

All in all, I completely disagree with this notion fans don't know. For those who are not familiar with the 80s, 90s stories you may have a point but the fact that Fox is aware (and they completely botched the character) I would be inclined to think more people are aware than some here are willing to acknowledge.
    That’s Good that Fox knows. However, Fox does not control anything Comic Book related. It’s not uncommon for a writer to not know let alone incorporate an ability that has not been brought in 40years +

Kyss I want you to go right now and make a Poll and ask how many people KNEW Storm has the ability of Energy Sight and Night Vision.

The Results shall be your answer.
    Last edited by stormphoenix; 06-08-2018 at 02:21 PM.

You REALLY think people read that???????????

Go Make a Poll right now and ask how many people know Storm has Energy Sight and Night Vision.
    It doesn't matter if people read it or not. What matters is that the people who made the movies are aware of her powerset and they have the platform to spread that information a lot further than the comics could possibly do on its own.

And why would I make a poll? People who frequent the X-forum are not necessarily Storm fans. Additionally, people who may even call themselves Storm fans may have not even read her earlier stuff where her powers were explained. The point being, you are making the point many fans don't know but you have no evidence to support that other than your opinion. However, I have facts to support mine. The time in which the Xmen were their most popular, which was during the 80s and 90s, there were enough stories to make it pretty clear how her powers functioned. I even have evidence that in the modern era people have access to this information by way of the information disseminated to Fox's viewers of the xmen movies.
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 06-08-2018 at 02:26 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

I agree. People don't know that Wonder Woman can actually talk to Animals or that Superman has Icebreathe(which he almost NEVER uses), or Carol D. can create Force Fields and has a healing factor etc. I think it's safe to say Night-Vision and Energy Sight is just a forgotten detail of Storm's powers. It hasn't been mentioned in YEARS that's proof enough....
    This statement was proven to be false by the image I provided from DOFP movie. Just as a fyi.

That’s Good that Fox knows. However, Fox does not control anything Comic Book related. It’s not uncommon for a writer to not know let alone incorporate an ability that has not been brought in 40years +

Kyss I want you to go right now and make a Poll and ask how many people KNEW Storm has the ability of Energy Sight and Night Vision.

The Results shall be your answer.

Now let's step back. Your initial statement was that STORM FANS don't know that she has energy sight or that she can perceive energy. You also went to say there is no proof of this in years. Storm fans are not limited to those who simply read the comics. There are those who became her fan from seeing the cartoons and some, I am sure, that became her fan by seeing the movies. There is no way you can prove that most people don't know this. If I had no evidence to support my claim it would be your opinion versus my own. However, I have pointed to evidence from canon, as well in the main pop culture of this information being available and thus evidence that fans of her character would or SHOULD know this information.

And i know what you want beloved but I believe that to be an exercise in futility. As I explained, what would a poll do? We aren't talking about how many people knew. The initial statement was that most STORM FANS don't know this. If I can filter the poll to make it so that only those who are fans of the character could respond I would most certainly make the poll. But seeing as that is not the case I see not point in doing it.

As such the results shall not be my answer; 616 canon shall be and IS the answer that only matters.
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 06-08-2018 at 02:55 PM.

BANNED

It doesn't matter if people read it or not. What matters is that the people who made the movies are aware of her powerset and they have the platform to spread that information a lot further than the comics could possibly do on its own.

And why would I make a poll? People who frequent the X-forum are not necessarily Storm fans. Additionally, people who may even call themselves Storm fans may have not even read her earlier stuff where her powers were explained. The point being, you are making the point many fans don't know but you have no evidence to support that other than your opinion. However, I have facts to support mine. The time in which the Xmen were their most popular, which was during the 80s and 90s, there were enough stories to make it pretty clear how her powers functioned. I even have evidence that in the modern era people have access to this information by way of the information disseminated to Fox's viewers of the xmen movies.
    Yeah, that SAME platform who didn’t even bring up Her Energy Sight let alone mentioned it at all in the movies. You think they did their extensive research on something they themselves didn’t even bother to bring up in the movies.

Actually, your incorrect. My point is NOT FANS you’ve misunderstood the point. I’m talking about writers that why I said they forgotten. But again I didn’t clarify who. It’s been 30-40plus years since these two abilities have been brought up correct? and yet we still don’t see it. YOU are saying that it’s a well established ability that EVERYONE knows you actually have no proof of that either. Your image doesn’t really support your claim because your stating well if an outside source like the movie industry knows then SURELY everyone does. Which is not true Kyss. Not True.

This statement was proven to be false by the image I provided from DOFP movie. Just as a fyi.
    No, it has not.

Now let's step back. Your initial statement was that STORM FANS don't know that she has energy sight or that she can perceive energy. You also went to say there is no proof of this in years. Storm fans are not limited to those who simply read the comics. There are those who became her fan from seeing the cartoons and some, I am sure, that became her fan by seeing the movies. There is no way you can prove that most people don't know this. If I had no evidence to support my claim it would be your opinion versus my own. However, I have pointed to evidence from canon, as well in the main pop culture of this information being available and thus evidence that fans of her character would or SHOULD know this information.

And i know what you want beloved but I believe that to be an exercise in futility. As I explained, what would a poll do? We aren't talking about how many people knew. The initial statement was that most STORM FANS don't know this. If I can filter the poll to make it so that only those who are fans of the character could respond I would most certainly make the poll. But seeing as that is not the case I see not point in doing it.

As such the results shall not be my answer; 616 canon shall be and IS the answer that only matters.
    Ok your ENTIRE first Paragraph is incorrect. And I see you misunderstood so let me be CLEAR: Nowhere in any of my post did I say “Storm Fans” do not know about her Energy Sight You sir are mistaken. I didn’t specify what I was talking about. What I’m talking about are the writers not Storms fans. The Proof as I mentioned is these abilities NOT being brought up in the comics for the past 40+ plus years Kyss. And yes there is a way to see if people who are NON Storm fans know about her night vision and Energy Sight Ability. As my suggest create a Poll if your so confident. So let me be clear again I am NOT talking about her fans. You are wrong. I’m talking about the writers who have forgotten these two abilities. So please show me in my other post I mentioned her fans.

LOL you kill me with that 616 cannon proves all stuff. It proves that the same 616 canon you hasn’t brought up Her Energy Sight and Night Vision in how long Kyss?
    Last edited by stormphoenix; 06-08-2018 at 03:50 PM.

Yeah, that SAME platform who didn’t even bring up Her Energy Sight let alone mentioned it at all in the movies. You think they did their extensive research on something they themselves didn’t even bother to bring up in the movies.

Actually, your incorrect. My point is NOT FANS you’ve misunderstood the point. I’m talking about writers that why I said they forgotten. It’s been 30-40plus years since this ability has been brought up and yet we still don’t see it. YOU are saying that it’s a well established ability that EVERYONE knows you actually have no proof of that either. Your image doesn’t really support your claim because your stating well if an outside source like the movie industry knows then SURELY everyone does. Which is not true Kyss. Not True.

No, it has not.

Ok your ENTIRE first Paragraph is incorrect. And I see you misunderstood so let me be CLEAR: Nowhere in any of my post did I say “Storm Fans” do not know about her Energy Sight You sir are mistaken. I didn’t specify what I was talking about. What I’m talking about are the writers not Storms fans. The Proof as I mentioned is these abilities NOT being brought up in the comics for the past 40+ plus years Kyss. And yes there is a way to see if people who are NON Storm fans know about her night vision and Energy Ability. As my suggest create a Poll if your so confident. So let me be clear again I am NOT talking about her fans. You are wrong. I’m talking about the writers who have forgotten these two abilities. So please show me in my other post I mentioned her fans.

Your second paragraph: NO THATS NOT THE POINT LOL or at least that’s not my point. It’s the writers it’s not the fans Kyss. WE her fans know this. Look at the intial post I said: “How come nobody talks about her Energy Sight I bet they forgot” again let me clarify what I was talking. It’s the writers Kyss not Storm fans. If you think your that confident that OTHER non Storm fans know about this make a poll. Since you think people know.

LOL you kill me with that “616 cannon proves all stuff. Oh sure it does proves that the same 616 canon you cling to so much barely No hasn’t brought up Her Energy Sight and Night Vision in how long Kyss?

1.) I don't think I ever made the point that it was brought up in the movie. I simply said Fox was aware of this and in the promotion of the movies created by Fox and put on Youtube fans would have been able to have access to this information.

2.) I don't think there is even proof that writers forgot. Guys have we heard of google hello??? Lol. Writers are not just making these stories in a bubble. They have access to the same information that you and I have, and this information is readily available on the internet. And if the writers don't have that, there is Marvel Editorial who should be functioning as the subject matter experts. And your point may have been just the writers but the initial conversation was around storm fans having this knowledge, not solely the writers, who I would argue should be more aware of her powers and how they function since they are being paid to write these characters by Marvel.

3.) And it did most certainly contradict your initial statement. You said it has not been talked about in years. So if you meant by four years, which is when DOFP came out, then you would be right that I was incorrect, but your comment seemed to imply it was quite longer.

4.) Yes. I reread what you originally wrote. You were talking about writers initially. I was getting my conversation with Crimz which was about Storm fans mixed up with yours. But to this as I mentioned in point 2 the writers at Marvel are paid to write about characters that have been around for an extremely long time. They get paid to write these stories and therefore don't have the luxury to just forget (or in my opinion shouldn't have that luxury). That is the whole reason why editorial is their to ensure they write stories that don't conflict with other stories or established canon. As far as this ability (energy perception) not being brought up in the past 40+ years is incorrect. The story with Khan where it talks about her energy perception goes back to the 2002 or so era:

So maybe 20 or so years in the comics but there are enough instances where this is explained demonstrating how her powers work to where an avid reader of the books should know this.

5.) I get you are not talking about her fans but that is what Crimz and I were discussing. I wouldn't expect casual readers or people who are not fans of her to know this information. A person who is fan or fanatic I expect to know this bit information as this was established very early on in her mythos.

6.) Again, the writers get PAID to write these characters. They are or should be held to a higher standard than you or I. Period. Forgetting or not knowing is ok for you and myself, we don't get paid, but that is certainly not an excuse for people employed by Marvel.

7.) I never said people, I have been arguing her fans. And seeing that you only are talking to writers, and not her fans, why does a poll of people here matter when most people who frequent here are not writers for Marvel?

8.) I mention canon because people like to insert their opinions and head canon to make a point about a character when opinions are irrelevant. The only thing that matters is canon. For instance you mentioned that her energy perception hasn't been since 40+ years. If i were not aware of actual canon I would probably take your word for this but seeing I was able to find at least a showing of this being 16 years ago your initial statement would be incorrect. Outside the comics, this was readily available as recent as 2014 thanks to the Xmen movies (can't believe I'm writing this). So again, 40+ years is grossly incorrect.
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 06-08-2018 at 04:01 PM.

Tbf, I completely forgot about the night vision thing. Energy perception I don't think has been forgotten, it should be obvious that she's using it when she's using her powers.

BANNED

1.) I don't think I ever made the point that it was brought up in the movie. I simply said Fox was aware of this and in the promotion of the movies created by Fox and put on Youtube fans would have been able to have access to this information.

2.) I don't think there is even proof that writers forgot. Guys have we heard of google hello??? Lol. Writers are not just making these stories in a bubble. They have access to the same information that you and I have, and this information is readily available on the internet. And if the writers don't have that, there is Marvel Editorial who should be functioning as the subject matter experts. And your point may have been just the writers but the initial conversation was around storm fans having this knowledge, not solely the writers, who I would argue should be more aware of her powers and how they function since they are being paid to write these characters by Marvel.

3.) And it did most certainly contradict your initial statement. You said it has not been talked about in years. So if you meant by four years, which is when DOFP came out, then you would be right that I was incorrect, but your comment seemed to imply it was quite longer.

4.) Yes. I reread what you originally wrote. You were talking about writers initially. I was getting my conversation with Crimz which was about Storm fans mixed up with yours. But to this as I mentioned in point 2 the writers at Marvel are paid to write about characters that have been around for an extremely long time. They get paid to write these stories and therefore don't have the luxury to just forget (or in my opinion shouldn't have that luxury). That is the whole reason why editorial is their to ensure they write stories that don't conflict with other stories or established canon. As far as this ability (energy perception) not being brought up in the past 40+ years is incorrect. The story with Khan where it talks about her energy perception goes back to the 2002 or so era:

So maybe 20 or so years in the comics but there are enough instances where this is explained demonstrating how her powers work to where an avid reader of the books should know this.

5.) I get you are not talking about her fans but that is what Crimz and I were discussing. I wouldn't expect casual readers or people who are not fans of her to know this information. A person who is fan or fanatic I expect to know this bit information as this was established very early on in her mythos.

6.) Again, the writers get PAID to write these characters. They are or should be held to a higher standard than you or I. Period. Forgetting or not knowing is ok for you and myself, we don't get paid, but that is certainly not an excuse for people employed by Marvel.

7.) I never said people, I have been arguing her fans. And seeing that you only are talking to writers, and not her fans, why does a poll of people here matter when most people who frequent here are not writers for Marvel?

8.) I mention canon because people like to insert their opinions and head canon to make a point about a character when opinions are irrelevant. The only thing that matters is canon. For instance you mentioned that her energy perception hasn't been since 40+ years. If i were not aware of actual canon I would probably take your word for this but seeing I was able to find at least a showing of this being 16 years ago your initial statement would be incorrect. Outside the comics, this was readily available as recent as 2014 thanks to the Xmen movies (can't believe I'm writing this). So again, 40+ years is grossly incorrect.
    JESUS CHRIST you guys need to shorten your points!! All these damn essays just to get your point across.

I’m going to say this. Yes, that’s a fair point for Writers and Editorial to do their jobs and know their continuity. However, you must know that not every writer KNOWS about whomever the character they are writing EVERY SINGLE ABILITY Power and Hax. It’s not uncommon. It’s been a LONG LONG LONG time since Storms Energy Sight and Night Vision has been brought up IN the comics. Not Movies. Look at Coates he brought back the Goddess aspect of Storm to which we as FANS never thought this would come to pass.

Every time her eyes glow white her energy sight is active. Come on girls I raised y'all better than this. Can we let it go now?
    Attachment 66826
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE
    GA: "She moves fast"..
    F:"Compared to who?"
    GA:"Hold her!"
    F:"Does it look like I'm not trying!?"

♡♡♡

JESUS CHRIST you guys need to shorten your points!! All these damn essays just to get your point across.

I’m going to say this. Yes, that’s a fair point for Writers and Editorial to do their jobs and know their continuity. However, you must know that not every writer KNOWS about whomever the character they are writing EVERY SINGLE ABILITY Power and Hax. It’s not uncommon. It’s been a LONG LONG LONG time since Storms Energy Sight and Night Vision has been brought up IN the comics. Not Movies. Look at Coates he brought back the Goddess aspect of Storm to which we as FANS never thought this would come to pass.
    Pretty much, and it happens to almost every character.

Quote Originally Posted by CookieOnTsunami View Post
    Every time her eyes glow white her energy sight is active. Come on girls I raised y'all better than this. Can we let it go now?
    Attachment 66826
    We know that, but I just don't think we should hold it against writers when they don't.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Oh I agree. If it's not necessary to the story or said writer doesn't feel like going into detail about how she does what she does I don't mind. Anyway stream Chun Li and Preorder Queen by Nicki Minaj on August 10th for clear skin and good health.
    Attachment 66831
    Last edited by Rosa Snarks; 06-08-2018 at 04:33 PM.
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE
    GA: "She moves fast"..
    F:"Compared to who?"
    GA:"Hold her!"
    F:"Does it look like I'm not trying!?"

♡♡♡

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Avatar View Post
    Tbf, I completely forgot about the night vision thing. Energy perception I don't think has been forgotten, it should be obvious that she's using it when she's using her powers.
    yea the night vision thing is one that is not commonly known. I think most fans would know her eyes are drawn as cat-like lenses. This wasn't just an aesthetic depiction which is why Claremont originally went to explain this when Ororo body was swapped with Emma's.
    I remember this bit of information based upon how cats night vision anatomically work:

https://www.cathealth.com/cat-health...t-night-vision

if you want a simplified response, simplify your initial posts.

that said, thank you to the bolded. people who get paid a task can't use the excuse "i didn't know." that is silly to me at least. and the writer may not know but that is the point of editorial. there is no excuse.

Attachment 66826
    hello. I don't know why such a discussion is even being had to be frank.

Pretty much, and it happens to almost every character.

We know that, but I just don't think we should hold it against writers when they don't.
    what evidence do you have they don't know it though?

and if they don't know, if they are being paid is this acceptable?

and perhaps i misinterpreted your initial points but it seemed that you were implying that since her powers aren't written with this detailed description it doesn't work that way anymore, is that correct? if you were not implying that i stand corrected as that was my only point of concern with your initial points.
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 06-08-2018 at 04:45 PM.

Oh I agree. If it's not necessary to the story or said writer doesn't feel like going into detail about how she does what she does I don't mind. Anyway stream Chun Li and Preorder Queen by Nicki Minaj on August 10th for clear skin and good health.
    Attachment 66831
    LOL.. you are a mess. and ditto to the bolded. I don't mind this but posters shouldn't try to use this as evidence that her powers don't work like that anymore. that is what i was seeing and that is what i was arguing against.